Author Topic: Fenderbird Resurrection  (Read 15407 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Fenderbird Resurrection
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 09:55:14 AM »
Wow, looking good!  Nice work.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 10:06:47 AM »
i have used that $19 bridge before.  only real issue is you can not get the action really low so the neck pocket needs to be just right.  I put it on a neck thru with just the fretboard above the body and the bridge could not get down to the 1/4" without both filing the saddles a little and routing the body slightly. on an aftermarket type warmoth neck with a thick slab this shouldn't be a real issue but on a neck thru or real fender neck with a 1/8 or less fretboard the height issue will have to be dealth with.
Second bridge looks much better and string thru possibility.

are those the ebay artec's ?  i just put their chrome ones in a bass last night.  my initial comments are on artec pup section.  Looks like you are putting a circuit in so single coil volume issue i have will not be a issue. 

Jim

I originally put that bridge on a Fender jazz and had to shim the neck and file the saddles, didn't like the shallow string fall off so replaced it w/a vintage threaded bridge.  But it works fine for projects where I cut my own neck pockets.  Lace used this bridge on their helix basses and there was no way in hell I could get the action low enough.  I replaced their stock saddles with my cut down jazz ones and it worked OK.  Then I took a tracing of the body and sent the bass back for a refund, I had mainly bought it to see what their Alumatone pup sounded like anyway (this was in '08, pups not on the market yet).  I like the way the pup sounded, I'm using one in my upcoming ergonomic project bass. Very flat response and passive.  There's a thread on Talkbass.

That second bridge is $16 from Bezdez on the bay, it IS very nice, saddles lock down so length screws aren't necessary.  I just decided to go with my original Badass for old times sake. I drilled it for string thru.  This is a masonite pg mockup which will become the routing template once I get it right.

Those Artecs are from my Bricebird.  Aluminum tape provides  the chrome effect.  Will be using EMG 35TWs which have both a stacked 'bucker and a single coil in the housing (3 coils) w/push pull pots and EMG pre.  I had them in the Brice but will go back to the Artecs for it.  Great post on the Ebay Artecs BTW.  Here's the control cavity.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 10:38:15 AM »
I have a set of emg tw's i plan on putting in a scroll body awaiting a scroll neck from CYR guitars. I intended to just use them as is as emg tends to not promote using a circuit with the tw's.  I will await your review.....  I haven't used them yet but i love emg's in most applications.  You and i may be the only ones on this site that like them...

i actually have that other 16 bridge too from bezdez too.  his stuff is usually on the mark and shipping from canada is pretty fast versus china.

recently discovered the alumatone pups on ebay but haven't comitted yet.  how do they sound.??
that bass looks really sweet
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 11:44:34 AM »
I have a set of emg tw's i plan on putting in a scroll body awaiting a scroll neck from CYR guitars. I intended to just use them as is as emg tends to not promote using a circuit with the tw's.  I will await your review.....  I haven't used them yet but i love emg's in most applications.  You and i may be the only ones on this site that like them...

i actually have that other 16 bridge too from bezdez too.  his stuff is usually on the mark and shipping from canada is pretty fast versus china.

recently discovered the alumatone pups on ebay but haven't comitted yet.  how do they sound.??
that bass looks really sweet

I don't know if that pre is available from EMG anymore, it's a BQA, but it does work with the TWs.  I got it from Carruthers' Guitars in Santa Monica.  I liked the way the TWs sounded in the Brice.  very reminiscent of my Bicentennial.  EMG sez they are their most vintage sounding pup, what do I know?  I doubt many people have actually heard them.

The Alumitone is the loudest passive pup I've ever heard, including DiMarzios. Very large range of XLNT tones w/no hum.  Weighs 2 oz.  I got mine from Aamps.  They were so new the pickup mounting screws didn't fit the pup.  I called Lace, got Don Lace himself, and he sent  me the correct screws.

I've been very happy w/Bezdez, shipping is fast and cheap.  Great prices.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 11:49:26 AM »
Just scanned back thru and may have missed it but what fin are you going for... the Fiesta Red spirit of JAE...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 12:02:01 PM »
I'm thinking about a trans finish like this since it's ash, but I will be doing a Fiesta Red one next.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 12:05:49 PM »
Nice...  8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 12:09:38 PM »
actually old schaller made dimarzios looks alikes are hottest ever  - too hot.  i have  wired a few p bass with a series/parallel pot and the parallel sounds better.     My darkstar is really hot also.  

see thru Red fenderbird seems right.  Imo see throughs look could in only certain colors.  red and black are my favs.
JIM

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2010, 04:01:41 PM »
actually old schaller made dimarzios looks alikes are hottest ever  - too hot.  i have  wired a few p bass with a series/parallel pot and the parallel sounds better.     My darkstar is really hot also.  

see thru Red fenderbird seems right.  Imo see throughs look could in only certain colors.  red and black are my favs.

Haven't played either the schallers or the dark stars.  Someday...

This 'Bird was  a dark metallic red originally so it seems fitting to do it red again.

I like all transparents but on ash I'm a sucker for Blondes

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2010, 08:25:43 AM »
I missed this thread! Cool project, nice work and great idea of the bridge. But you have to give her a new neck with a 4 in a row headstock...:)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2010, 09:51:32 AM »
I missed this thread! Cool project, nice work and great idea of the bridge. But you have to give her a new neck with a 4 in a row headstock...:)

Thanks!  This originally WAS a Fender 4 in a row headstock (LH, I like them) and unchopped when I did the original build.  I got tired of neck dive and the humongous case needed (had to build that too).  It now fits in a standard gig bag.  And the case is in some landfill in NC minus hardware.

This one is MINE, for me.  I've had it 28 years and it reminds me of the good and bad design choices made.  There's another Fenderbird in the works, it will have a RH 4 in a line Fender headstock as well as original body shape, bridge/tailpiece etc.  As close as I can get to the original-on the cheap.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2010, 12:38:36 PM »
I already thought it was a lefty neck. But of course it's your project and taste differs, fortunately:) I love the project and I will follow it with great interest!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2010, 01:09:54 PM »
 I gotta work on my manners.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2010, 03:32:42 PM »
No, I have to do that:)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2010, 11:32:46 AM »
Haven't played either the schallers or the dark stars.  Someday...

This 'Bird was  a dark metallic red originally so it seems fitting to do it red again.

I like all transparents but on ash I'm a sucker for Blondes

love the suttle grain showing through on the mary kay bass.  really nice. 
JIM