Author Topic: Fenderbird Resurrection  (Read 15411 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Fenderbird Resurrection
« on: June 01, 2010, 06:43:32 AM »
Some background.  I ditched my white '77 Tbird (bought new) in '81 for the usual reasons, neck profile and dive.  I was always happy with the sound, especially played through 3 Coliseums and 3 SVT cabinets.  '81 was very different from '77, married w/new son, down to one coliseum and a 2-15 cab.  Before I straight traded the Bird for a '76 'StingRay (still have it, weighs 12 lbs, great boat anchor) I made a tracing of the body.

Fenderbird was in my head.

I quickly tired of the weight and blah sunburst of the 'Ray, though the neck profile is very nice, and decided to cannibalize it for a Fenderbird (Musicman=Leo=Fender).  Instead I bought the components: a left handed Charvel neck (new), Kluson reverse LH tuners, DiMarzio P pup and Badass, etc (all used from, I think, Freedom Guitars) for around $100 and commuted the 'Ray's sentence to life under my bed.  Built the Bird, painted it red and gigged it.  Still did the neck dive dance a little, but at least the profile was more to my liking.  And I liked the DiMarzio OK.
  Stopped playing after my daughter was born in '84.  After '98 divorce revisited the Bird and stripped the paint, made the Badass thru body, modified the headstock and added a P/J set of Duncans.  Then I replaced the Klusons with Gotohs.  Time to finish this one.

2001 w/ SDs.  You can see the original rout for the MM pup

Photoshop Concept (Blonde Ambition)

Last week (NR pg planned)

Counterbores for flush string ferrules

Plugging pot holes

Thinking about this, unfortunately after I drilled those counterbores. But there's always the next one.

Prepped for face lift, skim coat of filler sanded.

Not quite ready for its closeup. Paper backed veneer, Titebond glue.  Using this bridge or the Badass may reappear.

Next is pup routing, pot holes and gut contour, then body prep for finishing.  Pups will be 2 EMG 35 TWs, chromerized.  They are EMG's "vintage" sounding 3 coils.  We'll see.
http://www.emginc.com/products/category/247/2

Headstock has to be recontoured, veneered and refinned.

Color to be determined, a lot depends how well the back and sides clean up.  I'm leaning blonde or transparent Fiesta Red stain.

LBO has been a HUGE inspiration in the short time since finding it and joining. THANKS!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Fenderbird Resurrection
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 08:04:12 AM »
Wow nice work!

I'm intrigued by this bridge/tailpiece you're showing

Looks like you cut this bridge you mentioned (in another thread) in half?? Or?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 08:18:38 AM »
Nailed me.  Amazing what you can do with a hacksaw and too much time on your hands.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 08:36:49 AM »
Dangerous what you can to with tools and a little time...  ;D

Interesting work... at least if you use your modified bridge it will look more like the original fittings... Just in case you don't have the pics in your JAE file, on the two Peter Cook Explorers I've seen, he used combined bridges which looked very Fenderish...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 09:24:28 AM »
That is awesome. The bridge and tailpiece look like they were made for each other.
A perfect match!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 09:40:09 AM »
Dangerous what you can to with tools and a little time...  ;D

Interesting work... at least if you use your modified bridge it will look more like the original fittings... Just in case you don't have the pics in your JAE file, on the two Peter Cook Explorers I've seen, he used combined bridges which looked very Fenderish...

The next one will probably have that bridge and be closer to a replica of the origanals.  I don't recall seeing Cook's Explorers.  Love to see some pix or links.

My '63 Vox BRITISH Phantom IV has a very close approximation of a '56-on Fender threaded saddle bridge.  The pups are definitely designed after single coil Pbasser's and the neck has the profile of a '55.  Steal from the best.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 10:17:15 AM »
If you search the Hard Rock website they have images you can zoom right in on (a red-orange one and one "pukeburst" as she was nicknamed), also the Lightning bass - exactly the same TRC as mine, but reversed in colour...

I have asked for a copy of the pictures in a digital format or as items they might sell, but they are not willing to supply, not that a competant PC user could not get round the hurdles...

The red one he used in this video, seen in the background of this page; they may have been the proto-Spider Alembic, but they were Peter Cook instruments...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 10:36:52 AM »
Thanks, great stuff, I know I have it on DVD somewhere.  This was the epitome of the Fenderbirds for me, never got into the Alembics.  Just found it on P. 32 of Bass Culture.  It has a gold Tbird bridge and tailpiece, JAE says it was used in the Kids Are Alright for Who Are You.

On P 38 he refers to that red orange color on a Jazz Bass as Salmon Pink, says its his second favorite color.  I'm pretty sure the Fender name is Fiesta Red.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 02:28:29 PM »
That is one fantastic piece of video!

Interesting to see how much the Ox played with his thumb.  As has been observed ofen, what a contrast in playing demeanor there was between Townshend and Entwhistle.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 03:51:02 PM »
Wow! When I saw the two piece bridge I thought: How did he get a picture of my bridge?  ???

I did the very same thing you did, it's even the same bridge model. Although I didn't use the tailpiece end, only the saddles/base part for a Ric style bridge, yet to be finished. But I was planning on doing the same thing you did for a T-Bird project.

Great minds think alike?...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 04:34:17 PM »
Wow! When I saw the two piece bridge I thought: How did he get a picture of my bridge?  ???

I did the very same thing you did, it's even the same bridge model. Although I didn't use the tailpiece end, only the saddles/base part for a Ric style bridge, yet to be finished. But I was planning on doing the same thing you did for a T-Bird project.

Great minds think alike?...

I don't know how long it took you to figure it out but I've had that bridge for around 2 years.  It finally hit me the other day AFTER I'd posted the picture of it on another thread about saddles that it could be modified into a bridge/tailpiece.  I'd been looking for a cheap solution for quite a while.  I'm sure you were quicker to realize the possibilities!

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 07:46:48 PM »
that bridge is so cool, what kind was it originally?
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 03:38:24 AM »
that bridge is so cool, what kind was it originally?

I got mine from Grizzly around '07.  Lace uses it on their Helix basses introduced in '08.  Haven't seen it on anything else.

The saddles lock into the carriers w/grub screw, same for the carriers into the channels.  Good range of adjustment, you can even rotate a carrier 180 degrees to get more length if necessary.  You can also flip the saddles over and custom slot them for string spacing.  I'm trying to source the manufacturer, it's either China or Taiwan.  The saddle/carrier assembly is exactly the same used on some cheap single string bridges.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 04:52:05 AM »
Nice work, keep it up!  I like that bridge too.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 05:02:14 AM »
I have one of those bridges but with the black finish. I haven't got far enough on my project yet to try it out tho.  :-[  I've seen them on Ebay. Seem like nice solid bridges.

Your project is pretty damn cool btw!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT