Author Topic: Post Your Music!  (Read 105527 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Post Your Music!
« Reply #225 on: September 07, 2010, 02:01:30 PM »
 ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 07, 2010, 02:20:20 PM »
Very nice work!
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 08, 2010, 04:31:04 AM »
Here is one of our own, VERY busy verse playing and, yes, I do admit*** that inspiration for the chorus bass melody part (two tracked with an EB-0F, one on-board fuzz signal and one clean mudbucker signal) came from Herr Jim Lea's bass riff melody on Slade's Gudbuy T'Jane ...  :-[

As before: No guitars yet on this take and the vocals are guide vocals. Bass played (other than the chorus bass melody) was my newish Ripper II. User name raintunes, password plainingjet ...

*** No use denying it, Scott would have spotted it immediately anyway!!!

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 04:48:19 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 08, 2010, 08:06:04 AM »
If you are going to borrow, borrow from the best I say. Very nice and sometimes unexpected note choice. I love things that cause me to double take and hold my attention then win me over. I'd love to hear them both with the full production.
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 08, 2010, 08:21:48 AM »
Note choice covers my inherent weakness: I'm just not fast on bass. Kids who've played bass for two years are faster than me. In thirty years of bass playing I've improved in pretty much everything, but I'm still not good at lightning-fast runs, it's like I have this concrete barrier in me. Must be a physical thing, it certainly doesn't come from lack of playing. So stuck with the realization that no matter what I'd do I'd never be a flashy player, I started looking into notes, melodies, harmonies etc.  

And then I noticed that unless you do a fast run on your own in a break or something (and then preferably slapped!), the general public doesn't recognize if you are playing a fast melody run in a song, but they do recognize if you play something slowly melodic and it makes them take notice becaue most people (who are not bass players) don't realize that a bass can be melodic. And frankly, most guitarists I have met have no idea what they are doing harmonically, circle of fifths, parallel keys, they just don't get it at all. In thirty years of playing with guitarists I haven't met one who would be able to answer the question: "What is the parallel major key to A minor?" much less explain what determines a parallel key. Somehow, they know by ear that C major and A minor go together well, but if you tell them that A minor 7 and C major 6 are made up of the same four notes they are baffled. So I'ved learned over time that guitarists find it more impressive if you play a solitary F# to their D major chord than some quick run based around the root note. What gullible creatures they are!  :)  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 08:56:38 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #230 on: September 08, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
In my case the guitarists know more theory than I do, but they help me out.  It just takes me long enough to calculate I > IV > V that I can't do it on the fly unless it's a simple repeating pattern that comes around enough to play with.

That's why I like 20/30 takes at rehearsal to get motor memory going. Of course, this doesn't apply to "Who Do You Love", which is just E-EEEE-DD-E-EEEE-DD-E-EEEE-DD, etc.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 08, 2010, 11:35:29 AM »
Just playing the intro notes for Van Morrison's Just Like Greta made my lot happy... less can be so much more...

(Nice, btw, but preferred the 1st one...)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 08, 2010, 06:11:30 PM »
 I have never aspired to the soloist thing and I guess the most important thing to me has always been supporting the song melodically which generally means the vocalist but not always. I used to be able to play very fast when I was gigging 4 nights a week , which I did for about 10 years straight. these days my chops suffer mostly due to not enough time on the fingerboard and averaging 2 shows a month. I can still play reasonably fast but I find it sounds a little stilted now.

Getting back to what you were saying, Speed is only just another tool on the palette anyway. Different ppl have different favorite tools to others thankfully. Cant imagine Duck Dunn doing Victor runs. And as much as Victor impresses me I dont think I'd like to either.
Digresion our specialty!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #233 on: September 19, 2010, 04:00:26 PM »
It turns out that we did have a camera crew at our last gig.  Here's the full twin combo rig in action.  It's not broken down into songs, so you get the whole set.  My favorite starts at about 16:30, and our last song.  My vocals pretty much suck.  Serves me right not to get more monitor...

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 20, 2010, 10:32:43 AM »
Nice sound from your Fanfret... 8) what was the other one you were using...?

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #235 on: September 20, 2010, 11:14:12 AM »
Nice sound from your Fanfret... 8) what was the other one you were using...?

That's the Holy Crap bass.  Epiphone ET-288M, with Bartolinis in it.  It's what I call my paint peeler.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 20, 2010, 02:56:07 PM »
I remember... just couldn't see the back... ;)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #237 on: September 26, 2010, 09:55:21 AM »
We did the recording for the CD yesterday.  Working title is Dead Band Walking.  This is the Embassy, running through a DI and the Eden.  God, I love this bass.  It was like screwing an old girlfriend and wondering why you ever broke up with her in the first place.  And, yes, I dropped a clam about 2/3 through the song. 

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 26, 2010, 10:38:33 AM »
usually only the bass player notices his own mistakes.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 26, 2010, 06:03:52 PM »
  And, yes, I dropped a clam about 2/3 through the song. 

Is that what that was?  I just thought it was Jazz  ;) ;D

Good stuff Gary and........ nice analogy!
Digresion our specialty!