Author Topic: Post Your Music!  (Read 105508 times)

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
Re: Post Your Music!
« Reply #480 on: October 31, 2018, 02:18:32 PM »
I may have to move to Italy to play Southern rock again.  You don't hear it much anymore in the South like you used to.  Most people are interested in pop, hip-hop and fake country music from Nashville.  Keep rockin', Snakebite.
Thanks!!!

I always loved southern rock. If you are interested to how much we like in Italy have a look to my friend site:
 www.lucarovini.com

A great guy singing in Italian but in the truly southern way
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 02:44:20 PM by tore00 »
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 01, 2018, 06:27:20 AM »
Thanks!!!

I always loved southern rock. If you are interested to how much we like in Italy have a look to my friend site:
 www.lucarovini.com

A great guy singing in Italian but in the truly southern way

Thanks.  I'm always interested in Southern rock and Italy, too. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 01, 2018, 07:27:33 AM »
Bravo, er I mean yeehaw!   Way to play Flirtin' with disaster.

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 01, 2018, 10:16:02 AM »
@tore00

When I was much younger, I studied some Spanish and Portuguese.  In time, though, I realized it's unlikely I'll ever visit any Spanish-speaking or Portuguese-speaking countries.  Several months ago, I began getting interested in Italian.  Spanish, Portuguese and Italian are all sister languages of course.  Hopefully, some day I might get to visit Italy.  All my friends who have vacationed there said it's great. 

The other two countries I'm interested in visiting some day are Israel and the Netherlands.  In the case of the Netherlands, I've already been there four times, but hope to keep going.  It's true, for example, that almost all Dutch speak English.  But if you're over there in a room with 20 people who all know Dutch and English, they are going to mostly use Dutch.  I don't know how it is in Italy and Israel, but that's the way it is there.  I've never been very good with foreign languages and don't expect to become fluent in any.  But it makes things more interesting to at least learn some basics. 

I noticed in the Luca Rovini bio that it said he started singing in English.  However, he switched to Italian, obviously.  As far as I'm concerned, that's something good. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 04:16:50 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 01, 2018, 11:39:45 PM »
@tore00

When I was much younger, I studied some Spanish and Portuguese.  In time, though, I realized it's unlikely I'll ever visit any Spanish-speaking or Portuguese-speaking countries.  Several months ago, I began getting interested in Italian.  Spanish, Portuguese and Italian are all sister languages of course.  Hopefully, some day I might get to visit Italy.  All my friends who have vacationed there said it's great. 

The other two countries I'm interested in visiting some day are Israel and the Netherlands.  In the case of the Netherlands, I've already been there four times, but hope to keep going.  It's true, for example, that almost all Dutch speak English.  But if you're over there in a room with 20 people who all know Dutch and English, they are going to mostly use Dutch.  I don't know how it is in Italy and Israel, but that's the way it is there.  I've never been very good with foreign languages and don't expect to become fluent in any.  But it makes things more interesting to at least learn some basics. 

I noticed in the Luca Rovini bio that it said he started singing in English.  However, he switched to Italian, obviously.  As far as I'm concerned, that's something good.

Just like me, then. Learnt spanish when I was about 20, but found out that heat/sun was not for me. After an Ill-fated trip to Spain many moons ago, my wife and I spent more time in the Holland/Belgium region.  So I bought a book, still trying to learn to read/speak dutch. At a brewery tour in Flandern, I learnt that dutch is not too far from norwegian (the guide spoke slowly).
And what beautiful language :)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 02, 2018, 02:13:49 AM »
Just like me, then. Learnt spanish when I was about 20, but found out that heat/sun was not for me. After an Ill-fated trip to Spain many moons ago, my wife and I spent more time in the Holland/Belgium region.  So I bought a book, still trying to learn to read/speak dutch. At a brewery tour in Flandern, I learnt that dutch is not too far from norwegian (the guide spoke slowly).
And what beautiful language :)

It's strange that our experiences turned out to be so similar.  I didn't plan for things to go in the direction they did and I doubt if you did, either. 

Norwegian is similar to Dutch in that they both rely on word order rather than case endings (like German does.)  In general, though, I find Germanic languages to be somewhat difficult when it comes to pronunciation.  I'd say Danish is the hardest to pronounce because of the glottal stops. 

--Blaise Pascal

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 02, 2018, 04:39:05 AM »
I don't know how it is in Italy and Israel, but that's the way it is there.  I've never been very good with foreign languages and don't expect to become fluent in any.  But it makes things more interesting to at least learn some basics. 
In Israel most people can speak English - especially if you're in Tel Aviv, where you should be (Jerusalem is boring and packed with weirdos). I have an 80 years old neighbor who came here from the US sixty years ago, and she still speaks not more than 200 words in Hebrew. She always gets by with English. 
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 02, 2018, 05:33:25 AM »
In Israel most people can speak English - especially if you're in Tel Aviv, where you should be (Jerusalem is boring and packed with weirdos). I have an 80 years old neighbor who came here from the US sixty years ago, and she still speaks not more than 200 words in Hebrew. She always gets by with English.

Thanks.  That's some very useful info. 

--Blaise Pascal

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #488 on: November 02, 2018, 03:27:50 PM »
Me and Luca were friend when I was studying at Pisa University. He was born in Pisa while I was coming from Southern Italy. It was 25 years ago.  I was already playing bass and we were introduced each other by common friends. We never played in the same band but we were going to each other concerts and had many evenings together talking about music and having a drink.
Then I moved to Milan for work and left Luca and many good friends in Pisa, but they went to my housefor concerts, sport events and so on..

I was really amazed when he went out with his records. He is in national newspapers here in Italy, that wonder how such a guy may play American music, being born under Pisa leaning tower.

No wonder for me, both grew up with such music in our ears. Give a try to Luca songs. I know that will be weird in Italian but they come from his heart
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 03, 2018, 12:28:17 AM »
It's strange that our experiences turned out to be so similar.  I didn't plan for things to go in the direction they did and I doubt if you did, either. 

Norwegian is similar to Dutch in that they both rely on word order rather than case endings (like German does.)  In general, though, I find Germanic languages to be somewhat difficult when it comes to pronunciation.  I'd say Danish is the hardest to pronounce because of the glottal stops.

I can't understand a word Danish, although the written language is near identical to norwegian :)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 03, 2018, 06:58:58 AM »
Me and Luca were friend when I was studying at Pisa University. He was born in Pisa while I was coming from Southern Italy. It was 25 years ago.  I was already playing bass and we were introduced each other by common friends. We never played in the same band but we were going to each other concerts and had many evenings together talking about music and having a drink.
Then I moved to Milan for work and left Luca and many good friends in Pisa, but they went to my housefor concerts, sport events and so on..

I was really amazed when he went out with his records. He is in national newspapers here in Italy, that wonder how such a guy may play American music, being born under Pisa leaning tower.

No wonder for me, both grew up with such music in our ears. Give a try to Luca songs. I know that will be weird in Italian but they come from his heart

When you blend different things together like that you can come up with something unique.  I can't imagine what it would feel like, though, to see someone I knew personally to receive national attention like that.  That would probably be an unusual but good feeling. 

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 03, 2018, 07:03:47 AM »
I can't understand a word Danish, although the written language is near identical to norwegian :)

I know someone in Denmark that I talk to a lot although I haven't been there yet.  Yes, Norwegian and Danish do look very much alike when you see the written languages.  But Norwegian sounds much more like Swedish.  Somebody once jokingly said that Norwegian is Danish spoken with a Swedish accent. 

--Blaise Pascal

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 03, 2018, 02:10:21 PM »
Somebody once jokingly said that Norwegian is Danish spoken with a Swedish accent.
Reminds me of the time when my ex's parents, born in Romania (and emigrated to Israel in the early 50's), went to Italy in their retirement years, two days after they got there they realized they understand everything they hear, a couple of days later they realized that if they speak very simplified Romanian in an Italian accent, everybody understands them.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 03, 2018, 02:51:09 PM »
Reminds me of the time when my ex's parents, born in Romania (and emigrated to Israel in the early 50's), went to Italy in their retirement years, two days after they got there they realized they understand everything they hear, a couple of days later they realized that if they speak very simplified Romanian in an Italian accent, everybody understands them.

Maybe this should be branched off into a foreign language thread.  This is getting interesting.  I only heard Romanian once.  Some people were speaking it in an elevator.  It sounded very much like Italian.  But at the same time the Slavic elements were very evident.  Something which was no surprise to me since I had read about the Slavic influence in the area.  It sounded like a hybrid Italian-Russian language to me. 

--Blaise Pascal

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 03, 2018, 05:08:46 PM »

I can sometimes understand Danish well but I suppose it depends on where in Denmark I am. It seems like the more south of Jylland I'm at the harder it gets. I always try to understand Danish and speak Swedish in return. Often that works perfectly, but in some cases the conversation is forced into English.  ;D