Main Forums > The Outpost Cafe

Eric Carmen ...

(1/3) > >>

uwe:
.. the power pop magician has sadly pulled his final disappearing stunt.

westen44:
Criticized by some for being too pop, he was still able to deliver the goods time after time.  Knowing that a song like this could get controversial, he managed to avoid the issue by offering the song from the girl's perspective. 

uwe:
I'd say that Rick Springfield, among others, probably heard him a lot!

westen44:

--- Quote from: uwe on March 12, 2024, 10:02:43 PM ---I'd say that Rick Springfield, among others, probably heard him a lot!

--- End quote ---

With one difference being that Rick Springfield was quite a chick magnet.  He didn't just have the pop singer image, but also the soap opera thing going on.  I think it was just too much for a lot of women to resist.  I can remember being around women several times talking about him.  They wanted to rip his clothes off as well as their own.  I'm sure Eric Carmen must have had a positive reaction, too.  I just don't know very much about him. 

uwe:
The Raspberries were to me America's version of Badfinger. If you like the music of one of them, you'll have a hard time disliking the other.

Eric's solo ballads did come with extra cheese toppings, but were still immaculately crafted.

Re Go All The Way, I always thought the contrast between the choppy-riffy, busy intro and middle part on one hand and that ultra-melodic/-harmonic verse + chorus (with the slow-moving vocal melody) on the other hand as bordering on the hilarious, but catchy it was.

Lester Bangs - always good for a scathing comment, but the man dug Deep Purple! - sure didn't like it (go to the end of the vid!  ;D ), but it seems to have been a blueprint for how a lot of Cheap Trick songs work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version