Author Topic: SG  (Read 2401 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Re: SG
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2022, 10:30:59 AM »
You have so many good basses, you can use something a little cultish. That's what it is, a cult instrument.

I also shunt pre-85 Ric bass capacitors and remove mute pads from Fender bridge covers and ashtrays from Telecasters, you know. If something sucks the life out of a bass, I'll remove it. And this includes high-mass bridges by the way.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2022, 11:34:56 AM »

I've been thinking about getting an EB-3..............You're killin' it for me.

Look at the DC Jr . They’re great little short scales .

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2022, 02:29:26 PM »
My '76 EB3 (which I sold) only sounded good through a tube amp and a 4x12. My SG Bass sounds good in any amp, I recorded an album with it and you can go from Fender-ish tones on the bridge pickup to width and warmth on the neck. Great basses!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2022, 12:18:01 AM »
That and stringholders with the generally superior two point bridge, just get rid of it all, let it swing!

Glad you agree with me.  :mrgreen:

It's said to be a one-trick pony as if there's something wrong with that. There's not. I don't need it to sound like a Fender, Ric or MusicMan.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2022, 02:10:14 AM »

I've been thinking about getting an EB-3..............You're killin' it for me.
Don't let him🙂 It's a wonderful experience once you dare try it out 8). Can't see why tinkering with the electronics is unholy either, I'm sure T bird owners have a specific pickup they like. Or dare I say, even replace the bridge?

And as for P basses out of box; I recently sold my '74 ash boatanchor after realizing that any new squier P sounded and played better. I thought for years that it was just weight and playability that made me lose interest, until I installed the original pickups in a china P and they suddenly sounded good. On the other hand, any pre '72 EB' s I have had have been in the same ballpark tone wise. It does have a lot of character, but you easily fall in love with it. At least I did🙂. I don't need a lot of ponies either, the one I have sounds great!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2022, 03:34:26 AM »
I like the modern SG basses, especially with the trapezoid inlays. They look great.

There's one currently in the Mod Collection with neck binding and Babicz for $1,399

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitar/DMOZJR390/SG-Standard-Bass/Ebony

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2022, 05:03:08 AM »
Whoa !

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2022, 06:45:44 AM »
Neck binding does not influence sound.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2022, 06:53:35 AM »
My '76 EB3 (which I sold) only sounded good through a tube amp and a 4x12. My SG Bass sounds good in any amp, I recorded an album with it and you can go from Fender-ish tones on the bridge pickup to width and warmth on the neck. Great basses!

While not really versatile, in comparison to an EB-3 the SG Bass actually is.

Do the "Uwe's time machine gear test": Travel back in time and offer Jack Bruce in 1967 in the studio an SG Bass as replacement for his EB-3, you really think he would have hesitated after having played the SG Bass and if only for a second?

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2022, 07:21:27 AM »
Jack would have said the Cherry finish doesn't look as good or age as well without the Aniline dye, he prefers the lighter weight and prettier wood grain of the true Honduran Mahogany, the Brazilian rosewood board looks nicer, the Alnico bridge pickup sounds more organic and overdrives his Marshalls better, the mudbucker actually pairs well with the bridge pickup in Varitone position 3 with the neck pickup turned down slightly, the feel of the reverse gear tuners and wide spacing controls are better and of course that the lighter bar bridge absorbs less string energy and therefore is superior to either the three point or whatever high mass bridge an SG bass could have.  :P
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2022, 09:33:16 AM »
You wish!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

He would have fallen to his knees and asked which one of his nuts - left or right - he could sacrifice for that TB Plus sound which would have driven his Marshalls mighty fine!  :P :P

Jack despised high mass bridges so much, he used this thing on his EB-1, ze Königstiger Panzer of German bass bridges:

« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 09:43:40 AM by uwe »

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2022, 10:26:07 AM »
Ha ha, that's a good point Uwe. I'd give one of my nuts for that discontinued Schaller bridge too. Still haven't found a replacement for the now concave bridge on my EB-1. Guess a hipshot could work since I've seen other EB-1's with them but the idea of a flat back full contact bridge on a carved top makes me shudder.
Is that your bridge by the way? I'll pay you dollars for it, they're almost as good as euros now you know.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2022, 12:35:53 PM »
Ha ha, that's a good point Uwe. I'd give one of my nuts for that discontinued Schaller bridge too. Still haven't found a replacement for the now concave bridge on my EB-1. Guess a hipshot could work since I've seen other EB-1's with them but the idea of a flat back full contact bridge on a carved top makes me shudder.
Is that your bridge by the way? I'll pay you dollars for it, they're almost as good as euros now you know.

There's a guy in Argentine who casts nice bar bridges :)

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2022, 05:03:03 PM »
That’d be great if it can fit an EB-1. Is he on Reverb or does he have a website?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 05:16:07 PM by 4stringer77 »

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2022, 10:04:53 PM »
That’d be great if it can fit an EB-1. Is he on Reverb or does he have a website?

I don't think it's a drop in if you have the later two point, but if you have the old one it will fit. I bought one a few years back to try out. Finish is not 100%, but good enough. Otherwise it's perfect.

I bought one through his ebay site, not sure if he is present elsewhere.