Author Topic: Why Sixx went to Schecter....  (Read 13666 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Why Sixx went to Schecter....
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2013, 06:07:50 AM »
Too late!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

NOT

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2013, 05:25:20 AM »
I got the chance to play this bass at Sam Ash. Looks a lot better in person. Although, it's not Thunderbird pretty. And sure doesn't sound like a 'Bird either. Sounds just like his Spector bass tone. Plugged into a small Ampeg combo it and it was easy to achieve his 'Girls, Girls, Girls' tone. The bass felt like his Epi Blackbird Model. And the neck was much larger than a Thunderbird. Very P bass-ish.

If it had an actual Thunderbird shape, I'd be all over it.

Overall a very nice bass, but it looks like a cartoon-ish Thunderbird IMO.
Is Father Home?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2013, 10:49:40 AM »

It's the Pontiac Aztec of basses.

No, I, like you, drive a Legacy wagon (05 GT). I just didn't think the bass looked that bad.

LOL.  I know I am in a very small minority, but I actually like the Aztec..... the Sixx Sig is a fugly beast though, especially in that horrible burst.  Much worse than the car (I even like the yellow ones).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2013, 11:27:06 AM »

LOL.  I know I am in a very small minority, but I actually like the Aztec..... the Sixx Sig is a fugly beast though, especially in that horrible burst.  Much worse than the car (I even like the yellow ones).

I think your vision clouded by excessive Back Bacon consumption  ;D

Aztek  :mrgreen:
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2013, 01:35:22 PM »
I got the chance to play this bass at Sam Ash. Looks a lot better in person. Although, it's not Thunderbird pretty. And sure doesn't sound like a 'Bird either. Sounds just like his Spector bass tone. Plugged into a small Ampeg combo it and it was easy to achieve his 'Girls, Girls, Girls' tone. The bass felt like his Epi Blackbird Model. And the neck was much larger than a Thunderbird. Very P bass-ish.

If it had an actual Thunderbird shape, I'd be all over it.

Overall a very nice bass, but it looks like a cartoon-ish Thunderbird IMO.

It had good reviews in the German Gitarre & Bass mag, but they said too that there wasn't much T-Bird tone to it. But then I don't think that Nikki ever played his Birds for the tone, he obviously liked the Overend Watts look of them. That is not to say that he doesn't care about his tone - his bass tone with Mötley is never anything less than mighty live -, but that he doesn't shun away from a nice P-Bass snap & growl either, IIRC he has a P-Bass too which he dearly loves and doesn't smash up.

NOT

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2013, 06:07:02 AM »
"It had good reviews in the German Gitarre & Bass mag, but they said too that there wasn't much T-Bird tone to  it. But then I don't think that Nikki ever played his Birds for the tone, he obviously liked the Overend Watts look of them. That is not to say that he doesn't care about his tone - his bass tone with Mötley is never anything less than mighty live -, but that he doesn't shun away from a nice P-Bass snap & growl either, IIRC he has a P-Bass too which he dearly loves and doesn't smash up."

Yes, I never understood the big hoopla over Nikki Sixx's bass tone. I really dig it. I've seen them live 5 times and each time it really stands out. Especially on certain songs. 'Primal Scream', 'Afraid', 'Louder Than Hell'. Although the Schecter in a live setting didn't sound as mean as his Thunderbirds. Although I do have a Tbird bias...

While watching the road crew set Mötley's show up, I noticed all of his Schecter Sixx Basses are kept in Gibson Thunderbird/Blackbird Hardshell cases. Wonder if the interior had to be modified...
Is Father Home?

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2013, 01:47:58 PM »
In this interview, Sixx references his '59 P-bass as influencing the Schecter...

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2013, 11:10:59 AM »
In this interview, Sixx references his '59 P-bass as influencing the Schecter...

So the Schecter didn't make it into the Crue video.
P
The future I come from no longer exists.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2013, 12:19:33 PM »
I found it odd that they used a clip of him playing a Thunderbird to promote the new bass  ???
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2013, 12:44:11 PM »
The superior will always be the natural enemy of the only "good".

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2013, 02:08:33 PM »

That bass is a turd that even Nikki can't polish.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2013, 08:08:16 PM »
I'd like to find one of these someday.  I've got the NJ version but it doesn't have the slab body with binding like the USA one.

Nikki rocking the Mockingbird bass. (and Mick with the Warlock guitar)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2013, 10:46:54 PM »
I would love to add one of those Warlock's to the collection!! Especially with that headstock. The white with black binding is pretty sweet looking too.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2013, 06:02:14 AM »
I had seen that one. I was tempted by it but really would like to hold out for the one with binding.