Author Topic: Why Sixx went to Schecter....  (Read 13664 times)

Blackbird

• View Profile
Why Sixx went to Schecter....
« on: April 29, 2013, 08:07:39 AM »
From a Metal-sludge link..

Sixx stated about his switch from Gibson to Schecter: "I was very loyal to Gibson for a lot of years, [but] towards the last few years it sort of became … the quality of the instrument became not very consistent and it became frustrating for me … some would sound great and some wouldn't.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: Why Sixx went to Schecter....
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
I could apply his reasoning to his music.  ;D
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:11:27 AM »
nikki sixx=who cares.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:34:13 AM »
Quality of tone, yes, that's the first thing that comes to mind when the name Nikki Sixx is brought up. That, and the optigrab. If there was a Mensa for bassists... but on the other hand, maybe not.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:18:19 AM »
While I can understand the quality control aspect, surely a person who has his own signature issue instrument would be sent dozens of them for pre-tour approval.  That said, look at some of the Thunderbird basses this guy has played on tour recently...most of them look like they've been dragged behind a truck, sprayed glittery and then dragged behind a truck again.  Sixx doesn't strike me as the type of guy who worries too much about QC.  There's quite probably one reason he moved to Schecter.  Dollar$.  Sheesh, I'd play a Schecter if they paid me.
P
The future I come from no longer exists.

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 12:31:51 PM »
I have a Blackbird that is starting to look like it's been dragged behind a truck - but it's the best T-bird I've played for the feel of the neck, and for overall output and tone. My '07 Thunderbird IV is a very nice instrument - but it pales in comparison to the sound of the Blackbird. If Sixx is talking about quality, I doubt he's nit picking over finish flaws like overspray and waves in the Nitro (which his birds didn't have) and all the usual cosmetic compalints. My guess it's about the physical build and electronics.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 12:50:27 PM »

I love Gibson basses, I just have a lot of difficulty defending the spotty QC.
I don't blame anyone for being put off by this, it's disappointing from a U.S. company - I blame the guy at the top, I wish it would change.
 The sad thing is Gibson *can* make great instruments and should want to, especially now as many U.S. consumers want to actively support domestic manufacturing.
 I have no criticism of Nikki, he's gotten paid to play the bass as part of a very sucessful rock band -  I don't care for a lot of his choices in life, including Schecter, but that's his business, not mine  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:27:54 AM »
No Nikki - no reintroduction of the TBird in 1987, simple as that. We should be grateful. And I do believe that the guy - whether you like Mötley or not, but Sixx AM sure shows his songwriting potential more - knows the dif between a well-sounding and a not so well-sounding bass within a few seconds after having laid his tatooed hands on it. After this many years in the business, you just know something like that.

When I saw him last with MC, his bass sound was excellent, mean and mighty. Not at all like the mix of a tech who works for a bass player that doesn't care about his sound, quite the contrary.

For the record: I think Vince Neil is a dumbass and MC overrated. But Herr Sixx is underrated and deserves better as regards recognition.

As regards Gibson's lack of consistency - was it ever different even in the past? I believe there to be a lot of love-blind nostalgia, plus we are much more educated and critical about our instruments today than, say, thirty or forty years ago. As the former guitarits of Deep Purple once said: "They built good and bad guitars back then just as they do today."  And while a bad fret-job, orange peel, a truss rod cavity that doesn't allow real access (just saw that on a new Midnight bass  :rolleyes: ) are all inexcusable (for the price), I haven't had a new Gibson bass in ten years that sounded "bad" in the sense that this specimen sounded no good while another specimen would have sounded much better. Basses are made of wood, no two will sound the same, but lack of pure sound is not Gibson's issue (unless you don't like the sound of maho set neck basses). Everything else pretty much is.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:44:51 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 02:16:18 PM »
If we can turn to the subject of MC (briefly), I met them once.  We had backstage passes for the Monster Of Rock festival in Donington, UK in 1984.  (Motley, Y&T, Van Halen, AC/DC.)  In hindsight, it was a surreal/fun day out if not a little Wayne's World.  Backstage, Tommy Lee bit me on the shoulder, Vince gave me a thumbs up after the bite and asked whether I was OK and I took a piss next to Mick Mars, during which we briefly discussed RTBs remix of Too Fast For Love (it was a short conversation).

I find the stuff they do/did with Vince Neil unlistenable.  The John Corabi fronted MC were amazingly good.

I concur with Uwe...I've seen (been dragged to) MC gigs several times.  Nikki's bass tone has always been good.
P
The future I come from no longer exists.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 02:50:44 PM »
Corabi was great, but people wouldn't listen at the time. Not the grunge kids and not the old MC crowd. It fell between all cracks - or canyons. Doesn't change the fact that they really put their heart in that album.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 08:40:29 PM »
I liked that album a lot as well. A different Crue sound, but much better imo.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 09:06:48 PM »
I've never been a big fan of Motley Crue, and never thought much of Vince Neil's voice.  My big claim to fame, which I can't support, is that I got Vince Neil to talk about the car accident in 1985 when I interviewed him.  He was very open and candid, and talked about what it was like to live with killing your best friend.  My tape on that phone call was blank, and I told my editor that there was no way I'd ever get another chance for that interview, so we scrapped the story.  He opened up when I told him that I was given the story because I had been in a car accident where I lost my girlfriend.

On the lighter side, I like the Corabi version of the band.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 12:19:29 AM »
Corabi was great, but people wouldn't listen at the time. Not the grunge kids and not the old MC crowd. It fell between all cracks - or canyons. Doesn't change the fact that they really put their heart in that album.

MTV didn't like Corabi and ended any chance of the band ever being anything other than what legions of slutty white trash chicks perform to. Vince Neil must have one HELL of an agent.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 01:04:30 PM »
MTV didn't like Corabi and ended any chance of the band ever being anything other than what legions of slutty white trash chicks perform to. Vince Neil must have one HELL of an agent.

Was it Dee Anthony?  If you remember, they were all leather, studs and make-up before the accident.  When that happened, they got all silks and polka-dots and cleaned up their image enough to pass muster.  They had OUTSTANDING management in those years.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 02:02:17 PM »
why Sixx switched to Schecter: As we know Gibson has been consistently inconsistent esp. when it come to the minor/major details of their actual assembly of the instruments and wiring. Not as much in the actual pickups. I'm sure any instrument Gibson delivered to Mr. Sixx had been given the nomless than once or twice over. I'm thinking he had a preference for what Schecter was doing and (maybe they made him an offer he could not refuse) and preferred their bass(es).