Author Topic: Incoming ABG- Stu Hamm sig Washburn AB40SH  (Read 4306 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Incoming ABG- Stu Hamm sig Washburn AB40SH
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 11:49:01 AM »
Arrived Friday morning.  Woodworking, finish and playability is excellent, nice chunky neck.  I didn't have to touch the trussrod, got the action down to 1+mm with zero relief and it plays great

OTOH, the electronics are really sub par.  The dreaded piezo quack is evident with any sort of attack.  Really makes me appreciate my Godin which has a very smooth response.

I added a '64 Thunderbird pickup with V&T above and below.  Easily reversible and no harm done to the bass, the oval soundhole really made it easy... Ladies and Germs, ThundaCoustic II.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 01:30:48 PM »
Ver' nice...

Audio clip...? :popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 04:26:44 PM »
Ver' nice...

Audio clip...? :popcorn:

Thanks, Ken.  I have studio time scheduled next week, hope to record the Big Bottom 12 string as well as this one.

mc900ftj

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 07:39:12 PM »
Nice.   I've had an AB40SH for a few years, sunburst.  Let me know how you got  the action low enough.  My bridge saddles are bottomed out and it's still a bit high for my liking.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 10:57:03 PM »
Just a thought... looks good as a body shape... solid project...? The central surround is reminiscent of your "own" design works, if you get my drift...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 04:11:29 AM »
Nice.   I've had an AB40SH for a few years, sunburst.  Let me know how you got  the action low enough.  My bridge saddles are bottomed out and it's still a bit high for my liking.

Thanks, I was able to get the E down to 1/16" at the 12th fret.  I have almost zero relief neck relief, that's a factor.

Just a thought... looks good as a body shape... solid project...? The central surround is reminiscent of your "own" design works, if you get my drift...
Always looking to steal...if I did, it would be a semi hollow.