Author Topic: Which EB for me?  (Read 20643 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Which EB for me?
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2008, 01:31:27 PM »
I agree on the tone story:) And also about the P and Thunder/Fenderbird time. However: I heard some great things of Entwistle on an Alembic too.

Warwick designed the Buzzard and they where the first to build 'm. Modulus and Status have built them too. Entwistle played the Status versions later on and also some Warwicks with Modulus or Status necks. The Status Buzzards where one piece carbon fibre!!!!!
I believe Warwick made a carbon prototype too.

Hans-Peter Wilfer of Warwick stated for a judge he designed most parts of the bass (with a lot of drawings as evidence) in a case against JAEs son Chris Entwistle. Warwick won and they're the only one with a right to build 'm. I guess there's no real fight or argument with the Entwistle estate, cos since a couple of years they build the Entwistle Stryker too. That's an Explorer body with Buzzard headstock.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2008, 03:46:35 AM »
To be fair, at least two of those five 9 volts are for the LEDs of the Status Buzzard. I know, because my Status Stealth II with active electronics and LEDs uses four 9 volts in four different compartments. Those all-graphite basses where neck and body is one and the bass is hollow (but stuffed to not sound hollow) have a sound of their own, extremely resonant, huge sustain and an attack where the tone is almost there BEFORE you've hit it! And you need to play accurately on them, every little mistake stands out. They don't sound brittle by nature, actually quite organic (but need fresh strings too), what's different to other basses is that they sound unsettlingly even all across the fretboard.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2008, 04:41:29 AM »
I believe three 9V's are for the LEDs and two for the active circuitry.

Your description of your Stealth (which you already gave on the Pit a while ago) sounds like Entwistle last years...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2008, 06:06:25 AM »
I believe three 9V's are for the LEDs and two for the active circuitry.

The active circuitry for his hearing aid & heart monitor.

Cocaine is not kind to one's ticker.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2008, 06:43:41 AM »
The active circuitry for his hearing aid & heart monitor.

Cocaine is not kind to one's ticker.

:D

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2008, 08:25:38 AM »

I'd have to think all those batteries would certainly defeat any neck-dive issues.  :D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2008, 12:24:45 PM »
I'd have to think all those batteries would certainly defeat any neck-dive issues.  :D

Seriously, they might help if they're in the proper spot.

Seven or eight years ago I saw a T-bird for sale that had apparently been owned by Tommy Stinson, he had a lead weight inserted to counterbalance it against neck dive. Whatever works.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2008, 07:26:31 AM »
What neck dive?  Both of my contemporary TBs don't do it.  Neither do my NRs.  The neck dive issue was one thing that kept me from even picking up a TB for a year or more.  Once I tried my white one in the store on a strap, I bought it!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2008, 08:35:50 AM »
IMHO, and I know this for a fact, that whole neckdive thing on TBirds was invented by a former CIA agent enlisted by F(i)ender. Just like Saddam's army tearing out Kuwait babies from their incubators, it never happened.

Uwe

PS: Yes, there are basses that are body-heavier, but if you regard a TBird as (too) neckheavy (not neckheavier than a Ric 4001/4003 I think which tend to go into horizontal mode too if you take your fretting arm off them) you should take up some other, more girlie recreation ... like playing guitar! 
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2008, 08:38:54 AM »
 "What neck dive? "

We all know it isn't true about 'Birds.......It's just a continuing myth that's constantly propagated on *other* (less well informed) forums.  :D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2008, 09:10:47 AM »
All this EB talk has sucked me in.  I've put a bid in on an EB body.  Don't think it's a Gibson, but it should fit that neck I got.  Now to plan out the rest of the details.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2008, 10:30:05 AM »
I haven't played that many TBirds, but I have noticed neck dive on some of them. Especially on two Bicentennials I've played. Not saying it's common but it does exist.

Never noticed a neck dive problem with Ricks I've owned, but they're still not well balanced. It's more of a weight distribution issue.

Weight isn't everything, if balance is good. The most uncomfortable bass I've owned was one of the lightest, my Fender Coronado II. Bad neck dive compounded by the "upper" strap knob located on the top of the neck heel. The neck rotated away as it dived.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2008, 11:21:03 AM »
I've found that neckdive on Thunderbirds can be completely eliminated (for me) with a good quality wide leather strap and proper strap lock placement. 60's reverse birds and Blackbirds had the rear strap pin above the center line, with the Blackbird being quite a bit above it. Between that, a good strap, and the front strap pin at the heel you're set.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2008, 11:23:42 AM »
I have this corn (is that a good word?) on my hand at the place where the '76er rests on my hand:) And I always push the body toward my body with my right hand if I want to play something fast, But I like that! it's nice to work a bit while playing bass.

I hate those suede straps, cos they pull at your shirt. I use a cheap one, which slides over my shoulder. Much better if you want to throw some R'nR shapes:)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2008, 11:28:15 AM »
O, and for more Buzzard issues: Check  'Other Bass Brands.'