Author Topic: shipping boxes.  (Read 4104 times)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
shipping boxes.
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:24:52 PM »
getting some good traction on my tag sale and will be running out of boxes i had around.  I remember seeing somewhere here about good places to get boxes.  Some will be in cases some not if that matters..  Jim

also was it Uwe who had the location to open a gibson case lock???
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: shipping boxes.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:38:48 PM »
I remember Uline being mention in the past.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 10:10:57 PM »
Good timing. I may be needing a few boxes before too long.  You guys will be the first to know.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 10:43:37 PM »
Bike shops and music stores are good places to get shipping boxes for free.  They usually have a big stack of them in the dumpster behind the store, or in their attic, and are happy to get rid of them.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 11:30:27 AM »
Locally, we have a store called The Boxman.  Really good prices and no shipping required.  I also grab boxes from the local guitar shop whenever I can as many of them arrive in pretty good shape and can be used again.  They don't charge me since I'm a regular there.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 11:46:22 AM »
Last time I needed a box I didn't want to order some so I just went to my local Guitar Center and asked if they had one to spare. The guy walked in back and grabbed one for me. I offered to pay for it but he said just come back and buy more stuff sometime.

I've also used Uline and have been very happy with their service, though one shipment came with the outside boxes slightly damaged by the plastic wrapping straps. They were usable (so I didn't return them) but I wondered why they didn't use some scrap cardboard to cushion where the boxes were wrapped.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
Found on the interweb

"If the combination was somehow changed, try shining a flashlight into the spaces where the thumbwheels turn. As you rotate the wheel, you'll see a small notch once it gets to the correct number. Line up all three thumbwheels in this way, and it should open.

You can also use a thin strip of metal if you have trouble using the flashlight method. Using a thin strip of metal – (we suggest one cut carefully from an aluminum can) - to insert into the space beside each thumbwheel - hold pressure on the metal strip as you rotate the wheel - you'll feel the notch as you rotate - stop when you feel the notch and move on to the next wheel until you have all three set."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 02:44:15 PM »
thanks all.  time to pack some basses up
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 03:01:28 PM »
also was it Uwe who had the location to open a gibson case lock???

It only takes around 15 minutes to try every number combination in sequence until you find the right one.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 08:16:56 PM »
I just got some from uline . A bit short for some basses I sold recently but quick ship . Not cheap though.M
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 05:19:20 AM »
More cost efficient for me to buy a case from Musicians Friend for the free box and packing materials since MF ships free.  If I don't sell the case with the bass I've built then one of my orphans gets a case.  Worked out pretty well so far.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 06:29:52 AM »
Hey, Chicago folks.  I'm here in town, and will be picking up some boxes from Uline before I leave.  Let me know via pm if anyone wants to buy one or two off me before I leave.  Just put your phone number in the PM, and I'll call back.  Thanks!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 01:31:21 PM »
I'm resurrecting this for an FYI.  The Uline 50x20x8 boxes are barely within the 112 inch limit set by USPS. They are good until the end flaps are closed, at which point they will typically go just over.  Of the last 4 I sent out, I had issues with each one, and had to talk with the postal clerk and get a remeasure and a decision.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 07:38:24 PM »
I was really bummed when I last went to the Uline website and found I couldn't custom order boxes anymore. I used to get them made at 50x20x6 (or close to that) and that kept me just under 108" with just enough room for a Thunderbird case. I haven't sold much lately but I'd have a hard time getting the right box if I did.