Author Topic: Martin signed by Macca - what a bargain!  (Read 2242 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Martin signed by Macca - what a bargain!
« on: January 04, 2013, 09:07:07 PM »
Come on, gents, step right up and hit the BIN on this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paul-McCartney-Signed-1971-Martin-D-35-Acoustic-Gtr-/140902333997

If only it didn't have that repaired headstock break!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Martin signed by Macca - what a bargain!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 09:01:52 AM »
I wonder how you would value that scuffy old guitar with the ciggie burns that Emmylou has used for years that belonged to Gram...?

... or that tatty thing Neil Young uses that used to be dragged round by Hank...

Barely worth a mention... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 03:57:06 PM »
At least the guitars you mention are double celebrity owned. This one isn't at all. You can buy an autographed Paul photo for in the neighborhood of $1000-2000, and a used 1971 Martin D-35 without repaired headstock damage would be a $2000-2500 guitar. What on earth makes this guy think he can get $800,000 for this?

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 06:24:10 PM »
We don't have a d*ck-head emoticon do we...

Uwe mentioned a long time back that he has no interest in celebrity owned instruments and I tend to agree, but there must be an awfull lot of Karma around those instruments considering the amount of enjoyment they've given over the decades...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 03:25:04 AM »
FWIW, a friend of mine has a similar '71 D-35 (that he bought years ago for $1,500) and it's an awesome guitar. Not the easiest guitar to play, but with medium-heavy gauge strings, the sound is unbelievable. It's also significantly louder than any other acoustic I have heard.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 06:48:34 AM »
At least the guitars you mention are double celebrity owned. This one isn't at all. You can buy an autographed Paul photo for in the neighborhood of $1000-2000, and a used 1971 Martin D-35 without repaired headstock damage would be a $2000-2500 guitar. What on earth makes this guy think he can get $800,000 for this?

It's the Andy Williams connection that drives up the value...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 06:56:14 AM »
FWIW, a friend of mine has a similar '71 D-35 (that he bought years ago for $1,500) and it's an awesome guitar. Not the easiest guitar to play, but with medium-heavy gauge strings, the sound is unbelievable. It's also significantly louder than any other acoustic I have heard.

My personal observations on acoustics made with good wood, is that something magic happens when they hit the 30 year old mark. I know aging is a gradual process, but this 30 year thing is something I've observed on several occassions. One of the things that improves substantually is volume.
Rick

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 03:07:11 PM »
Interesting. Why then doesn't a similar thing happen with classical guitars? The really good ones usually sound best when new.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 03:26:18 PM »
A guitarist I worked with in the early eighties was always impressd with my Ibanez 12 string, which is now 32 years old (excluding shop life) - sweet sounding lady, somewhat abused by her owner... :rolleyes: