Author Topic: Thunderbird Bodies to order  (Read 4049 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Thunderbird Bodies to order
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 07:50:52 AM »
Hi Scott, the thought of you turning luthier appeals immensely to me and I think it's a good thing for you too - you've been leaning towards it for a while.

Would you be able to assemble a bass with neck if you obtained the necks from third parties? That would solve the issue whether the neck pockets actually fit or not.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 08:09:16 AM »
Damn that sucks Scott.  But sometimes things have a way of pushing us in new direction that we've been resisting.  Don't discount doing some repair work too and all of the local luthiers are ancient and about ready to croak.  There's always someone out there with a messed up bass/guitar needing some help.  Check out Back Pages online for Rochester.  Might be a good place to advertise.

When I retire I'm going to crank out the semi-hollow bodies with/without f-holes like the 4005 I made and sell 'em on eBay, etc.  TB styles should look pretty cool that way.
Things do have a way of pushing us into a certain direction don't they ? Of course it all is happening at once ! Cath is opening a yoga studio in Penfield this month ! Things work out I have been renovating the space all this past week and they unofficialy open late next week !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to try and drum up some repair work both guitar and furniture . The Wood Doctor is a fellow Irondeqouiter and she has been subbing jobs to me. I have done work for Bruce at the House of Guitars in the past, Dick Robinson is sooooooooooooooooooooo backed up it isn't funny. Here is a 60's Melody Maker I repaired the headstock on for Bruce he was quite pleased, the headstock was in like 5 pieces and broken off !The first picture is all the bits of metal and screws the owner had "repaired" it with
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 08:20:10 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 08:11:53 AM »
Hi Scott, the thought of you turning luthier appeals immensely to me and I think it's a good thing for you too - you've been leaning towards it for a while.

Would you be able to assemble a bass with neck if you obtained the necks from third parties? That would solve the issue whether the neck pockets actually fit or not.
  That is the best way to insure a good fit at the neck pocket is to have the exact neck on site. Fender, Warmoth, All Parts, Mighty Mite all can vary greatly.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 08:23:21 AM »
hey i have a T-40 pup. what if i find a T-40 neck and bridge. how 'bout a NR Pea-Bird
I think that would be a awsome combo ! As you know I love T 40 pups !

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 10:14:11 AM »
Just a thought, but, have you thought about Newport and Embassy bodies?  Certainly it's a small market but the body style is probably efficient as far as the amount of wood needed and it would fall in line with your bridges, mahogany, etc.  Just thinking.....

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 10:31:17 AM »
Lol - I caution anybody dreaming of a long scale neck embassy to actually try out a real one. Reality will bite - those basses balance like hell even with a maho neck, I dare not imagine what a maple neck would do ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 11:10:44 AM »
Ssshhhh!  Don't scare off the customers! ;)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2009, 12:02:35 PM »
If someone asked me to build a Embassy body I suppose I would but I am not going to pursue the idea. For now I am pretty focused on Thunderbirds/Fenderbirds, That may change but I like my niche.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2009, 12:24:20 PM »
That's some great repair work, Scott! I might have something for you (no hurry though). We can PM the details if you're interested.

I think I'll be wanting a TB body as well. I'll wait to see what you decide on finishing prices but I'm thinking a painted, single pickup Fenderbird. I have a Fender '62 Jazz replacement neck I could use for it. Heck, I have your bridge and Bill's tailpiece already as well. All I need is the body!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2009, 01:53:21 PM »
Scott, keep in mind that if you're in the repair business, it's easy enough to get set up as an Allparts distributor so you can get necks at wholesale.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2009, 02:36:18 PM »
The "big man" moves in mysterious ways... I'd love to be the one to offer you a confirmed first order to set you on your way, but...

My "dream" Peter Cook "replica" would not be quite regular... reverse body, with a lefty (strung righty), fretless, Jazz neck...

Good luck Bro...!
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2009, 03:39:28 PM »
Scott, keep in mind that if you're in the repair business, it's easy enough to get set up as an Allparts distributor so you can get necks at wholesale.
That is a great idea Dave ! I do like all parts necks :)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2009, 07:04:32 PM »
That is a great idea Dave ! I do like all parts necks :)

I think all you need is evidence that you're conducting a business, such as a state sales tax registration or a business certificate (DBA registration).

One reason you can often get Allparts stuff elsewhere cheaper than Allparts sells them direct to the public is that they won't undercut their own dealers' prices, and some of their dealers discount off of list. You can buy necks at wholesale and retail them yourself as part of a kit or separately.

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2009, 08:27:49 PM »
A very good idea.  SG Lou, over at ReRanch, was an All Parts dealer and he gave a flat 10 or 15% discount to anyone that wanted to order from him - I know that he still made a decent profit or he wouldn't have messed with it.  I would imagine there's a pretty decent discount off of list.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2009, 04:42:36 AM »
Yep, several of the Reranch folks are dealers and I order from them frequently.  When I retire, I'm going to join the dealer club!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!