Author Topic: Thunderbird Bodies to order  (Read 4050 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Thunderbird Bodies to order
« on: November 13, 2009, 05:50:35 AM »
  I am out of work again and I have come to the realization that I need to make things happen for myself. I finally bought a sander I am set up to do Fenderbird builds. I can do bodies for both the reverse or the non reverse Thunderbird and JAE style 'birds. I can make a unfinished body or a complete build.  You guys have been so supportive of my bridges and guards, I really hope I can help you get the "Fenderbird" of you dreams into your hands. Some pictures of my work. and of course video !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Thunderbird Bodies to order
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 05:54:19 AM »
How much?  I've been seriously thinking that my next project should be a T-bird body with a Novax fanfret neck.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 06:00:31 AM »
With a Alder body starting at around $235.00 unfinished. I am working on pricing for finished bodies.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 07:37:26 AM »
Sorry to hear about the job, GoT. Very nice pics, though! Hope you can turn this into a longterm venture!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 09:34:08 AM »
That really sucks Scott, sorry to hear that. I hope this works out for you.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 10:18:43 AM »
Good luck Scott...think you have the right idea. Don't give up.

I live in fear of this, ...at 52...lets just say there are younger kids than me who are better with technology than I am at this point.  And probably cheaper, too.   Although experience still is in my favor, at least for a little while...but things are really slow around here...

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 10:37:26 AM by patman »

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 11:16:17 AM »
Good luck Scott...think you have the right idea. Don't give up.

I live in fear of this, ...at 52...lets just say there are younger kids than me who are better with technology than I am at this point.  And probably cheaper, too.   Although experience still is in my favor, at least for a little while...but things are really slow around here...

We all do (I'm almost 50) -
Experience .....Or baggage depending on how you view it. Still struggling here as well but there looks to be light at the end of the tunnel for our company (at this point).

At least I do not have to worry about laying myself off! :rolleyes:

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 12:38:24 PM »
Scott, you aren't the only one. I'll be 50 in January, and the past two years has been rough jobwise for me as well. I ultimately took a PT job stocking shelves, but I am also going the freelance / self-employed route (I'm a graphic designer). I've been doing some projects with Andy Fuchs (Fuchs Audio Technology) on the graphics for his Plush line of FX pedals, and grabbing other work as it presents itself, but things are crappy here in NJ also. Keep the faith!
What, no mahogany bodies??
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 01:49:15 PM »
Thanks guys I don't expect to become rich doing this but hopefully I can fill a need and this can be one piece of the puzzle. Mahogany Bodies of course ! I just started with a alder example as a base line.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 03:33:11 PM »
Sorry to hear about your work situation.

Without a doubt you can create you own niche market - you may do a lot better than you think.

Hang in there.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 04:46:12 PM »
Interesting!  Are your reverse bodies routed in the neck pocket to take a Fender neck without any further modification? 
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 08:51:44 PM »
Interesting!  Are your reverse bodies routed in the neck pocket to take a Fender neck without any further modification? 
Yes but there are alot of different Fender neck pocket patterns.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 09:02:51 PM »
hey i have a T-40 pup. what if i find a T-40 neck and bridge. how 'bout a NR Pea-Bird
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 10:23:12 PM »
............started with a alder example as a base line.

Inane I know but I love a good pun    :)

Good luck Scott.
Digresion our specialty!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 06:31:11 AM »
Damn that sucks Scott.  But sometimes things have a way of pushing us in new direction that we've been resisting.  Don't discount doing some repair work too and all of the local luthiers are ancient and about ready to croak.  There's always someone out there with a messed up bass/guitar needing some help.  Check out Back Pages online for Rochester.  Might be a good place to advertise.

When I retire I'm going to crank out the semi-hollow bodies with/without f-holes like the 4005 I made and sell 'em on eBay, etc.  TB styles should look pretty cool that way.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!