Author Topic: So, it's a Melody Maker.  (Read 5349 times)

rahock

• View Profile
Re: So, it's a Melody Maker.
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 06:28:04 AM »
AFAIK the EB-0 was never offered in blue. The Melody Maker bass did come in Pelham Blue and burgundy, but the bass in the auction is not a Melody Maker. Wrong headstock, tuners, controls, bridge, pickguard. It's a refin EB-0.

Mine was a  refinish done in  blue metalflake  with a star that glowed in the dark on the headstock. I bought it used that way.
Rick

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 06:49:52 AM »
Good thing cuz he's only selling to US & Canada.  :mrgreen:

As if that has ever held me back!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 07:41:35 AM »
As if that has ever held me back!

You wouldn't buy this anyway. Even if you bought different finishes, you wouldn't do it for a refin in a non-Gibson color.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 08:10:46 AM »
Since when? I've never had an issue with a nicely refinned item if I'm missing that particular model and the price is right. My EB-2D was/is a refin and I knew it. So is my Pappalardi-pre-owned 1953 EB-1, refinned in cherry (never available for EB-1s) by allegedly Gibson. I like to have a couple of basses in original fins, but not everything has to be.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 08:14:57 AM »
You bought those because you were missing those models. You didn't buy those just for the finish.

You already have an EB-0 in the collection. Maybe an unusual factory finish might tempt you to buy another. Not this one.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 08:53:16 AM »
Right. I think I would make an exception to the rule if one of those Confederate Victories ever cropped up (just occured to me: "Confederate Victory" is kind of an oxymoron ...). Not sure whether I would ever play it in public though!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 04:23:49 AM by uwe »

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 09:06:49 PM »
The Confederate Navy was fairly successful.  The last ship surrendered almost three years after the war ended.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 01:57:33 AM »
Manned by Japanese volunteers then.

Or it just took the Union submarine that long to find it. Those things were largely unreliable with bad surface vision so I've heard.  :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: Edit: I wasn't even that far off!!! But Siamese Twins in the Union Army? I knew they were desperate for conscripts, but that desperate ...

"While there were only a few hundred Asians living in the South at the time of the War for Southern Independence, records exist for several of these men becoming Confederate soldiers. Charles Chon, a Chinese National, was a private in Company K, 24th Texas Dismounted Cavalry Regiment, C.S.A. He was killed at the Battle of Franklin, TN, on Nov. 30, 1864, and is buried on the battlefield at the McGavock Confederate Cemetery. Another Asian-Confederate was William Henry Kwan of Co. B, 15th (or 12th) Virginia Battalion of Light Artillery. Kwan is a Cantonese (Chinese) name. The Military Image magazine showed his picture in their 1993 issue, where he appears to be of mixed Asian and Caucasian parentage. Another verified Asian Confederate is John Fouenty, a native of China, who was a cigar-maker in Savannah, GA, when the war broke out. He served in the Confederate army for a year, then was released because he was under age. Private Fouenty later returned to his native China. Research by Chinese-American researcher Shaie Mei Deng Temple of New Orleans, LA, reveals at least eighteen Asian-Confederates in various LA units, with names like Chou, Coo, Ding, Fai, Foo, Gong, Hai, Ho, Joung, Lin, Lee, Lou, Pang, Poo, Ting, and Wong. Perhaps the most famous Asian-Confederate soldiers were the two sons of famed P.T. Barnum Circus world-renowned Siamese Twins, Chang and Eng Bunker. (The Thai twins took the name "Bunker" to Americanize themselves.) Chang & Eng, joined at the chest from birth, were devoted Confederates, tobacco growers, and slave-owners, living as farmers in North Carolina after they retired from the circus. In 1865, Gen. Sherman tried to conscript (draft) a most unwilling Eng for the Union Army, but could not, since Chang had not likewise been conscripted! If Sherman had known more about their family, he wouldn't have bothered to even try to draft a Bunker, so fierce was the family's devotion to the Confederacy. The twins had married the Yates sisters and had several children, rotating between each others' houses every few days. During the war, the Bunkers strongly supported the South, providing food, clothing, and nursing to Confederate troops. Chang's son, Christopher, served in Co. I, 37th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry. He was wounded and captured at Moorefield, WV, and spent several months in a Yankee POW Camp before being exchanged. He had to eat rats to keep from starving in the Yankee POW Camp. Stephen Bunker, son of Eng Bunker, joined the same cavalry unit. He was wounded at Winchester, VA, and again before war's end. He and his brother both became farmers after the war. Specific research into Asian-Confederates is only now in its infancy. Many more Asian-Confederates are expected to come to light as this research progresses. Please see www.members.aol.com/gordonkwok/cacwpart26.html for additional details on the above Asian-Confederates."

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 05:55:27 AM by uwe »

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 09:51:32 AM »
I was never able to come up with anything clever enough for this thread (despite being the owner of a genuine Pelham Blue Melody Maker Bass), but now I'm at a complete loss for words...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 11:13:53 AM »
No topic is safe here. Always been that way, always will!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 11:32:28 AM »
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 12:38:39 PM »
He and others are mindful, however, that the tradition and symbols they hold so dear have the onerous
connotation of slavery to many Americans.

"I know what you're saying," said Allison Jones, "but it's not something to be ashamed of. It's a good
tradition. We try to value the good qualities and try to forget some of the defects."

:rolleyes: Some "defect".  People saying similar things in Germany about our not so glorious past (and why building the Autobahn somehow outweighs or at least balances the Holocaust), we call "Ewiggestrige" (forever living in the past) or "Unverbesserliche" (cannot be bettered). And quite a few of them live in Brazil too. It was a convenient place to be after a lost war not only for Confederate diehards.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 02:50:35 PM by uwe »

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 12:43:04 PM »
As long as we are on such topics, one of my great, great uncles, Jeff, fought for the Confederacy but his brother Frank fought for the Union. Jeff was killed, Frank lived until the 1920s. Another person purported to be a distant relative of mine commanded a U-boat in WWII.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 02:51:36 PM »
It seems that you and your family try to be on all sides all the time!  :mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 03:22:52 PM »
As evil as slavery is, it's not the moral equivalent of genocide.

Most white southerners were never slaveholders. They were fighting for what they saw as their right to determine their own destiny.