Author Topic: Evertilt no more  (Read 2748 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Evertilt no more
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 06:13:14 PM »
Why is that Evertilt mounted backwards?
And I can’t imagine the intonation on that bass is anywhere near correct (unless the owner uses awkward string gauges)

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2019, 12:55:33 AM »
Why is that Evertilt mounted backwards?

To simulate the Ric mute rib-cage, preventing palm-mute but facilitating... well, nothing.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2019, 01:17:01 AM »
I have the bar bridge. Intonation is close enough, and it works nicely. Never detected a problem with it.

The bar bridge is the best they ever made :)

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 10:54:11 AM »
I am always amazed at how far some people will go in mutilating their Gibson basses. I've held an early ('73 or so) Les Paul Triumph Bass where someone in the past decided to improve The Oil Rig by stringing it through... :-X

My take is that Tilt-O-Matic actually works well as long as there's a mute supporting it. Without it...not so much.

With all my love for the "originality" aspect, Hipshot wins the day in this house, every time.
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2019, 07:35:09 AM »
Just a quick note on the progress of my venture to produce a re-designed tunamatic (because the originals seemed to be made of an amalgam of discarded tuna cans).
The project isn't dead yet. I hadn't been keeping in contact with the designer and in the meantime he had to have some work done on his machining equipment while I was busy having a baby and running my business after taking it over from my Dad. So here we are today and what the manufacturer needs is an order of at least 50 units to make the production financially practical. I hope to get you all more info about the specifics of the design but what I can tell you so far is that it will be precision machined from billet.
It is my sincere desire that this will lead to a better option for everyone looking for an alternative replacement other than the hipshot for their "tunamatic" equipped Gibson bass, especially for the EB-1, EB-2 and Les Paul recording bass which have carved tops.
If you'd like to express interest in this project feel free to message me here or send a message to John Mann.
http://guitarvaultusa.com/
I will share more info as it becomes available.
Thank you.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2019, 10:42:16 AM »
The solution to cure the forward tilt on the Evertilt (without mute) is quite simple actually.
Just place a tiny screw in the middle under the left hand side of the bridge.
Screw it in just as high as the desired height of the bottom of the bridge, to make the bridge parallel with the strings.

Nobody is ever going to see it.
And if you decide to sell your bass and bring it back to its original (tilted) condition you just take out the screw, leaving only a tiny little hole (under the bridge) that nobody is ever going to make a fuss about.

It'll make it a three point of sorts.

I tried to make a picture of my bass with this solution. But is so hard to see that this is the best I could do:

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2019, 12:17:36 PM »
That's a good tip, no pun intended. In my case, the bridge is concave from someone adjusting the posts with the strings on under tension. John is going to shore it up the best he can in the meantime. I'm hoping the new design will just be a better bridge in all aspects. Sturdier, better adjustment and no more string silk over the saddles. I asked him to share as much as possible so everyone can judge for themselves if the added benefits are worth it. Will update here as new info arrives.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2019, 03:39:36 AM »
Maybe some previous owner toyed with the 2-point on my slothead, but it sits flush on the top of the bass, almost like a Fender bridge, and feels very solid. No tilt and no warp. Since it can't be lowered any more, I've deepened the saddle slots a tiny bit to have really low action.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2019, 06:04:58 AM »
Maybe the neck has had a reset?
I can't imagine my Les Paul Bass with a bridge that low and even with slotted saddles. The action would be behind the neck :mrgreen:

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2019, 06:20:08 AM »
It doesn't look like the neck joint was ever taken apart, but I guess a pro can do a clean job.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2019, 07:08:34 AM »
Maybe some previous owner toyed with the 2-point on my slothead, but it sits flush on the top of the bass, almost like a Fender bridge, and feels very solid. No tilt and no warp. Since it can't be lowered any more, I've deepened the saddle slots a tiny bit to have really low action.

If it really sits completely flush, then it couldn't have the original bridge posts. If you look closely at Rob's photo, there's a flange on each bridge post. Even lowered all the way, the flanges make it impossible for the bridge to sit flush, unless someone recessed the top so the flanges could be flush with it.

Regardless, my EB-0L and current EB-0 haven't tilted, with lower tension strings.

Maybe the neck has had a reset?
I can't imagine my Les Paul Bass with a bridge that low and even with slotted saddles. The action would be behind the neck :mrgreen:

Remember, the slotheads have zero neck to body angle, it's hard to compare your LP Bass with that.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2019, 07:40:56 AM »
If it really sits completely flush, then it couldn't have the original bridge posts. If you look closely at Rob's photo, there's a flange on each bridge post. Even lowered all the way, the flanges make it impossible for the bridge to sit flush, unless someone recessed the top so the flanges could be flush with it.

I believe that's what happened. Someone must have either recessed the top for the flanges or cut the flanges off.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2019, 08:24:00 AM »
Remember, the slotheads have zero neck to body angle, it's hard to compare your LP Bass with that.

True, forgot about that Dave.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2019, 11:13:52 AM »
Almost flush, barely touching.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2019, 11:19:09 AM »
That won't tilt for sure!  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...