Gear Discussion Forums > Other Bass Brands

New Guild Starfire with Split P

<< < (8/8)

Alanko:
I'm wondering if this is meant to go toe-to-toe with the Epiphone JC basses.

I would be interested if you could put any P Bass pickup in there and ditch the chrome trim rings. They look a little fussy and make the pickups look too small, somehow, to my eyes.

I also hope they generally use a dark wood for the fretboard. I saw an Epiphone Joe Pass for sale with a Pao Ferro fretboard and it was too light for a stately hollow body instrument.

Chris P.:
I think one of the strengths of the JCS (and the DCJr.) is that it's easy to get used to it, if you normally play a more Fender-style bass. The necks, the middle pickup. It's easier changing from P top JC than changing from P to SG Bass.

This bass is quite easy too, with a very narrow J-style neck. The JCS is more P. Also your thumb 'falls' on the split pickup immediately and you feel at home. Having said that, the JCS is hollow and long scale, while this one is semisolid and short scale, so soundwise it's very different.

The pickups are wider than P's, but I can imagine the chrome cover will fit a normal split P. You still have the rings then. So active EMG's might suck all the character out of it if you want.

This example has a beautiful dark fretboard with a fine stripe. I like the binding/dots combination.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version