Author Topic: Derrick Rose Story  (Read 1020 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Derrick Rose Story
« on: May 17, 2011, 09:51:39 AM »
A very interesting story about him & one of the worst neighborhoods in Chicago. An amazing story.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/5365750-417/derrick-rose-keeps-tough-englewood-area-close-to-his-heart.html

The best part about him, to me, is his soft spoken hard working attitude.
The 2010 U.S. Census lists Englewood’s poverty rate at 46 percent and its unemployment rate at 20 percent, both more than double the national average. And from January through March of this year, based on statistics from the Chicago Police Department, the 3.1-square-mile neighborhood experienced more robberies (208), aggravated assaults (92) and aggravated batteries (123) than anywhere in the city.
‘‘He’s the biggest thing to ever come out of Englewood,’’ said Harvey Hampton, one of Rose’s AAU coaches and the father of one of Rose’s closest friends. ‘‘They love him here.’’

And there don’t seem to be any exceptions.

A member of the Gangster Disciples, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said local gangs earmarked Murray Park a safe zone because of Rose.

‘‘He paved the way,’’ the Gangster Disciple said. ‘‘It used to be called ‘Murder Park.’ But when Derrick made it to the NBA, we made it better out of respect. He comes from this block, and he represents all of us.’’

One of the most credible people in the neighborhood was Rose’s older brother Reggie, who starred at Hubbard High School and played college ball at Idaho. As Derrick’s game and reputation blossomed, Reggie monitored those who interacted with his brother. If gang members approached Derrick, Reggie asked them not to recruit him.

‘‘It’s respect,’’ Reggie said, ‘‘and we know most of them.’’

The Rose family was so well-regarded that neighborhood gang members would warn them if there was imminent danger.

‘‘Someone might come by and say, ‘You need to tell your mom and everybody to go inside the house,’??’’ Reggie recalled. ‘‘Sometimes you don’t hear anything, sometimes you hear 25 gunshots.’’

fur85

• View Profile
Re: Derrick Rose Story
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 06:45:35 PM »
Great story, thanks for posting. I love this:

Englewood is usually cast in a negative light, something that bothers Rose. But therein lies one of his grandest goals.

‘‘Everything you hear about Englewood is totally bad,’’ Rose said. ‘‘But my biggest thing is I can help one day change that perception, so you can go back to the neighborhood and it’s safe.

‘‘It’s going to take a lot of hard work, but it can be done.’’

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:06:31 PM »
I know very little about Chicago neighborhoods and even less about basketball but that was a very interesting read all the same.
Digresion our specialty!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 04:24:56 AM »
This is one of the neighborhoods that I posted about - all the shootings going one a year or so ago & how the young kids were suffering from war stress disorders, much like war torn countries, where it seems most children knows someone who has been shot or killed in gang violence.

It seems like the only way out of the ghetto in the people's eyes is either drugs, rap or sports, not education. What I was amazed at is the gangs left the athletes alone from being forced to join.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:45:40 AM »
Reminds me of RL Burnsides take on the song Hard time kiilin' floor blues about how he didnt want to live in Chicago after his 2 brothers and his father were killed there.

Digresion our specialty!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:16:42 AM »
People have commented to me on how they view Chicago as one of the most racially segregated cities. The city itself is really safe, just don't go into certain neighborhoods.