Author Topic: My Trials Aren't Nearly as Bad as Some, But They Suck Nonetheless  (Read 2641 times)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Re: My Trials Aren't Nearly as Bad as Some, But They Suck Nonetheless
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »
Best of luck with this George. Hoping for a full and speedy recovery.  :thumbsup:
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 05:59:32 AM »
That sounds just awful and must be very frustrating. Hope it all gets sorted out quickly and you can get back to playing!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 02:42:26 PM »
Get a good chiro and they'll be able to what direction the event occurred, but neck manipulation is interesting... old spine injuries reluctantly return to their original position but like to slip back again...
Expect 2 treatments a week post initial consult for a few weeks, then once a week, 2 weeks, monthly, etc...
It is not always a cure, but can be a benefit... furthest apart I got was 3 months... presently not in treatment as it's (sort of) stopped being beneficial... not NH here... sessions here cost circa £30 to £50...
If it does not benefit quickly seek further advice elsewhere...
Osteopathy is another route - "long-levers" as opposed to chiro's "short"...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 07:32:47 AM »
Be well George, and most importantly, keep a positive attitude! No comparison, but I'm going through a very difficult transition at work. Some days I feel like I just can't do it, but I have no choice. But I still manage to have a smile on my face and laugh about things throughout the day. That is, when my head's not about to burst into flames.  :o

I know some people don't believe in it, but I too support the idea of a good chiropractor. At least as a first step before meds and scalpels.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 01:51:19 PM »
Hang in there, Buddy! And DON'T sell your basses!!!!!! Too damn hard to come buy now!!!!!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 06:24:49 AM »
Hang in there, Buddy! And DON'T sell your basses!!!!!! Too damn hard to come buy now!!!!!

+1
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 09:33:05 AM »
I know your pain too George.  L5 S1 (disk near lowest part of back)  has been out since I was 26 (almost 42 now).  It's half gone now, and surgery might make things worse, as well, introduce scar tissue problems.  It's never been fun...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 09:09:42 AM »
There are some great ideas here. I may try a chiropractor before going the MRI/surgery route. I should note that PT helped a little bit; just not enough to let me play much better. I'll keep up the exercises just the same and see how things go. You guys rock. Thank you.

I can very much relate.  I have experienced similar injuries (also due to car wrecks,) but it's neck and upper back.  I've gone to two chiropractors for many years now.  One of them told me that I was the second hardest patient he has ever had to treat.  He is really my back-up chiropractor, so to speak.  But the chiropractic treatments do provide real relief for me.  Still, I have greatly reduced my bass playing now.  I guess playing a little is better than not playing at all, though.  Also, I keep trying to find solutions, although I'm not sure if there are any. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 07:21:27 PM »
Well first of all, I hope you get better! I work at a hospital doing CT so I see neck/back injury people every day and I wouldn't wish spine/nerve issues on anybody. Second, I think your thread title would make a great blues song!
As far as paying for your MRI, I take it you have to pay out-of-pocket for it? Most of the places I work will DEFINITELY deal with people on the cost, usually the business office people start out saying they want $$$$$$ but will definitely change that in different circumstances. Also nowhere I've been has played "hardball" as far as billing, I've heard of them agreeing to $5 a month afterwards, just to get SOMETHING coming in from the scan. My most recent job, (that I got laid off from...go figure) had something like 55% of the patients they treated, completely ignoring the bills afterwards-we got 0 from more than half the people we saw. Just ask, it can't hurt to find out. Oh and an MRI is completely non-invasive so just seeing what exactly is going on in there can only help.
That being said, before getting operated on, GET A SECOND (or 3rd) OPINION! Especially with your spine! My mom is on her 3rd lumbar spine surgery, she went with her usual family Dr and who he recommended for the initial surgery, had NO improvement, had to go to a different surgeon who had to totally revise her fusion (first guy did 3 vertebrae, and guy #2 said it should have been all 5) Now a year post surgery, her symptoms are coming back (numbness, weakness, bladder "issues") so REALLY make sure whoever wants to cut you up knows what they are doing and is GOOD.
Good luck, I really wish you the best with this.
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!