Author Topic: New idea for me on playing a gig...  (Read 7118 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
New idea for me on playing a gig...
« on: June 12, 2012, 05:02:16 PM »
I want to play my debated-color/Midnight Blue Jazz bass next Weds - we're playing the Oldtown Square in Fort Collins (hopefully it won't be full of smoke from fires....) and should have a good crowd.

But the rounds on it have GOT to go.  I have a set of Labella 760FL flats coming and they should be here Tuesday.

The new idea?

Playing a gig with NEW strings that are less than six months old.  GEEEZ, I won't know what to do with myself!!!!  it's a whole new acoustic approach!

Eye candy:

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Re: New idea for me on playing a gig...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 05:43:02 PM »
don't go blind, only play it till you need glasses

i think playing a 7ender is like driving a Mack truck = its okay as long as no one sees you doing it!
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:05:02 PM »
She's pretty. I'm not big on purple finishes or black pearl, but together it's a whole different thing - awesome, really.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 04:32:46 AM »
New strings?  Don't go there, you might start changing them regularly.  Luckily LaBellas last forever.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 04:52:40 AM »
ManI hear ya!  The strings on my Club are still stretching and I know I'll have to retune a couple times during our gig on Saturday.  But don't let that deter you!!!  Play that sucker and let the tuning be damned!

Good luck with the fires.  We've been following them on the news as Barb's brother is in the Boulder-Erie area.  Stay high and cool!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 08:18:37 AM »
The plus with the new strings is that I'll get rid of that damnable "zing" when I move my fingers.  Downside is the strings still stretching, as Bill notes.  Still, it will be a happier combination than the rounds on there - they're about 12 years old and still too bright for me.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 09:03:18 AM »
There's a number of ways to stretch strings fairly quickly.  I string at least one bass a week and don't have a problem getting strings to pitch and having them stay that way.  Proper wrapping around the post and tuning them sharp a half step or two initially helps to tighten the wraps.  By the time you get thru all four you can go back to the first one and tune it to pitch, etc.  I'm a believer that the more string you wind around a post, within reason, the fewer problems you'll have with staying in tune, all other things being equal.

Think about it:  Some players (especially guitards) change strings daily on tour, either they're in tune or they don't care.  There must be a way for the ones who do care to be satisfied.  I guess they have to go thru a lot of techs before they get one who knows how.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 01:04:39 PM »
Thanks!  I think I follow the same general procedure.  I usually cut strings about 4 fingers past the post so I get a number of wraps, and I always lock the top string wind in place with the next wrap, and then wrap downward on the post for a good break angle. I agree, more winds is good as long as you don't make a Gordian knot out of it.

I also like the idea of tuning sharp and then going back...I'll do it!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 01:13:31 PM »
A nice set of Roto's should see you right... :vader:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 03:14:25 PM »
They'll have to pry my Labellas from my cold, dead hands....

When Labellas are outlawed, only outlaws will play Labellas!   :o

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 07:29:09 AM »
When I put new strings, I also tune them a little sharp as Carlo syggested.  And, I hook my finger under each string, one at a time, and pull up on them to stretch them.  I do that a couple times and it sure helps get the "slack" out.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 07:50:25 AM »
When I put new strings, I also tune them a little sharp as Carlo syggested.  And, I hook my finger under each string, one at a time, and pull up on them to stretch them.  I do that a couple times and it sure helps get the "slack" out.

Yup...I also find that helps.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 03:03:39 PM »
 I make sure my windings are tight, tune to pitch then stretch the strings across the fingerboard around the 7th fret, I stretch them twice and I'm good to go.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 08:48:16 AM »
I changed my mind, mostly because that J bass is over 9 pounds and I didn't fancy spending two hours on what could have been a hot evening wrestling that bass.

I shifted to my Casady goldtop with Labellas and got a number of compliments on the sound.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 03:00:33 PM »
Lighten up, man... smile... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...