Author Topic: Amp merry-go-round (B-12)  (Read 14172 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: Amp merry-go-round (B-12)
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2013, 10:23:03 AM »
I've still got a BT-15 something portaflex with 2 15" Altec Lansings and 235 watts. They had 3 different model numbers for one with CTS speakers,  another with Altecs and  yet another with JBLs. I've got it written down somewhere, but I can't remember what number mine is ???. It served me well for many years but it has  been tucked away in favor of better and smaller gear for 20 some years.
Rick

Is that one of the ones with the backlit control panel?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2013, 03:54:23 PM »
No, just one red on/off light. The control panel is pretty simple. Just brushed aluminum, two channels with four inputs total, volume ,bass, and treble with a pull out boost on the treble control. I think that's all,I have not even looked at it in four or five years :-[.
Rick

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2013, 11:48:34 AM »
Got the B-12 in today and hooked it up right away.  Ummmmm....DOA.  No sound at all out of the amp.  The tubes are old, mismatched and a couple were barely glowing.  The seller sent it with the tubes out and wrapped up, so they actually had a pretty cushy ride.  I tried it with different cords and speakers and nothing.  So, the seller and I chatted and I'm going to have my local tech check it out.  We'll see what needs to be done and then discuss who will pay and how much.  He seems pretty reasonable and with over 1,000 sales, things should work out.  I'll have tubes and other stuff done anyway as long as the amp is sound and can be up and running without a major hassle/cost.  If not, back she goes!  Naturally, I do want to keep it, so we're pulling for a simple rehab plan.

BTW, it is a quite a little troll.  Significantly smaller than a B-15, a perfect practice size.  I honestly had never seen one before.  Now it's got me wanting a B-15 too.  Oy!  I don't have the room for it though.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2013, 01:36:33 PM »
I'm sure they can stack... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2013, 05:13:02 PM »
Got the B-12 in today and hooked it up right away.  Ummmmm....DOA.  No sound at all out of the amp.  The tubes are old, mismatched and a couple were barely glowing.  The seller sent it with the tubes out and wrapped up, so they actually had a pretty cushy ride.  I tried it with different cords and speakers and nothing.  So, the seller and I chatted and I'm going to have my local tech check it out.  We'll see what needs to be done and then discuss who will pay and how much.  He seems pretty reasonable and with over 1,000 sales, things should work out.  I'll have tubes and other stuff done anyway as long as the amp is sound and can be up and running without a major hassle/cost.  If not, back she goes!  Naturally, I do want to keep it, so we're pulling for a simple rehab plan.

BTW, it is a quite a little troll.  Significantly smaller than a B-15, a perfect practice size.  I honestly had never seen one before.  Now it's got me wanting a B-15 too.  Oy!  I don't have the room for it though.

Or maybe it's big brother - a B15S from 72  - 60 watts,  7027A tubes ,  actually powerful enough for small gigs  but weighs a ton..... 
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2013, 04:44:05 AM »
If you're tube shopping , Tesla 6L6GCs will give you a nice clean sound with a bit more headroom before break up. If you want a dead on match for that old Sylvania sound with a warm sound and lower volume break up, Winged C is the way to go. Personally, I like Teslas for a bass amp and Winged C for a guitar amp in most cases.
Rick

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2013, 07:38:38 AM »
If you're tube shopping , Tesla 6L6GCs will give you a nice clean sound with a bit more headroom before break up. If you want a dead on match for that old Sylvania sound with a warm sound and lower volume break up, Winged C is the way to go. Personally, I like Teslas for a bass amp and Winged C for a guitar amp in most cases.
Rick

Thanks for the pointers.  I dropped the amp off this morning and the tech said he'd let me know Monday what's going on with it.  We'll see what shakes out.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 07:07:30 PM by drbassman »

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2013, 03:47:25 PM »
Ain't nothin' cooler than bringing a fine vintage piece like that back to life 8) ;D.
Rick

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2013, 07:19:03 PM »
Ain't nothin' cooler than bringing a fine vintage piece like that back to life 8) ;D.
Rick

I hope so!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2013, 07:29:28 PM »
it's never easy!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2013, 02:56:16 AM »
it's never easy!

Thank heaven we have John Nau to help us!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2013, 06:07:56 PM »
Thank heaven we have John Nau to help us!

Is that your amp guy?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2013, 08:49:07 PM »

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2013, 06:47:45 PM »
wish i was closer.  My amp guy is beyond slow  and pricey on top of that.   
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2013, 05:56:09 AM »
The guy we had in the Detroit area long ago was Eddie Futrell. He's been gone for many years but I still miss him. He and Leo Fender were old buddies. On a couple of occasions I witnessed him dialing Leo on the phone to give him some crap about a screwed up design or  malfunctioning component. This guy was the greatest :sad:.
Rick