Author Topic: Rest In Peace Andy Fraser  (Read 1935 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Rest In Peace Andy Fraser
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 01:06:43 PM »
This is the one that I always thought showed how powerful Fraser could be.  I happened to find a live version on YouTube.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 02:26:17 PM »
Sad news. He was a great songwriter, had a unique voice with a bass and wasn't a bad vocalist either. One early Toby track leaked on a German Free compilation "Pop Chronik" shows him singin' an early version of "Travelling Man" and he sounds like a boyish Paul Rodgers but on his first solo album "Andy Fraser Band" he was more assured. Just listened to that album today for his memory and I've always liked the dark and somehow 'misty' sound of that album. I miss his bass playing (he plays lead stuff on a bass while the keyboard player handles the low end) but songs are good. I found this picture from '75 where he reminds me somehow of Prince. Dig those amps and a Guild bass (did he use it with Sharks already?).

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 03:17:03 PM »
Sad news. Fraser absolutely had his own style in his playing. Never heard one like him before I heard those first Free records. The bass really stood out, rhythmic and melodic, still raw and powerful.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 01:17:46 AM »
Damn ! My #1 bass hero and only about half a year older than I am, a fact that had me almost hang up my bass when I found out in the early 70s .......... RIP Andy.

We'll be playing I'm A Mover with band practice today ..........
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:25:26 AM by Droombolus »
Experience is the ultimate teacher

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 12:40:46 PM »
GREAT bass player.

The bass riff with the harmonics under the guitar solo to "Alright Now" has got to still be one of the catchiest bass riffs on any Top 40 Rock hit.

RIP Andy.