Author Topic: Bands Better than the Beatles?  (Read 8552 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Bands Better than the Beatles?
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2014, 04:19:53 AM »
Ray Davies is a great songwriter, but there is something peculiar (yet lovable) quaintly English about The Kinks as a band whereas the Liverpudlians became international very quickly both in their music and their mindset. The Beatles transcended borders from their first single - ok, their second, Love me Do didn't do much - onwards. Perhaps being thrown as teens into the Hamburg counter-culture had somemthing to do with it. Or coming from an English harbor town with vast cultural influences from everywhere in the world. The Kinks had neither a prolonged non-England stay in their formative years nor did they come from a harbor town.

And there is another thing: The Beatles blossomed from the songwriter partnership/contest/reciprocal inspiration of Lennon-McCartney, The Kinks were - as his brother Dave will ungladly testify to this day - mainly Ray's do. That said, no one has written as beautiful a song about a chance meeting with your former lover (in his case: Chrissie Hynde) as Ray did here ...

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:25:07 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2014, 07:37:21 AM »
Great vid, can't believe I hadn't heard the song before. It definitely resonates with my current situation. Here's a couple tunes from bands better than the Beatles that have a less sentimental vibe.

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2014, 08:49:26 AM »
As has already been noted, I think his list is ludicrous.  He might as well have included Herman's Hermits on there.  I can think of some bands I might personally prefer over the Beatles, but if all factors are taken into consideration on what constitutes the greatest band which has ever existed, I think I'd have to put the Beatles whether I really felt like it or not.  I think it would all depend on whether a person is being objective or subjective.  A thousand years from now on whatever it is they might have as a game show on the equivalent to TV, I can see no answer but "the Beatles" if the question is what was the greatest band of the 20th century?
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2014, 09:35:39 AM »
lynyrd skynyrd...really? they were ok in the early days when they were more of a hard rock band. but they have become a modern go to when someone wants to reference  anything redneck. i saw them open for the who in 73 or 74. from my seat all i could hear was guitars, millions of them it seemed like. :o

again, the list is crap. ignore it and it might go away.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:06:45 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2014, 12:33:56 PM »
I like Skynyrd. I also like the Beatles. Saying one band is better than another is an altogether absurd notion. That's like saying Van Gogh is better than Michelangelo. Art is not a competition. I suppose someone could argue a bands superiority based on record sales but popularity does not equal quality.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.