Author Topic: Bands Better than the Beatles?  (Read 8549 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: Bands Better than the Beatles?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 09:01:55 AM »
this list is typically dumb. for my taste none of these bands come close to being better than the beatles. what confounds me is the "the world's greatest rock band" label attached to the stones for all these years .

Screw the Stones for greatness. I give them props for what they did back in the day, but that day is LONG passed. Anybody who gives a shit about REAL rock knows that the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World is the Supersuckers, and they'll gladly tell you AND show you.  :mrgreen:

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 09:15:50 AM »
Maybe the critic who wrote the article was influenced by this video.  I see where he may be coming from now. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 02:18:10 PM »
If I had a sense of melody like McArtney, I wouldn't have to do tax returns for a living...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 08:54:52 PM »
That's well stated Dave
Otherwise you guys would be playing covers of Pat Boone.
Maybe you had to live through it. :P

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 09:36:36 PM »
That's well stated Dave
Otherwise you guys would be playing covers of Pat Boone.
Maybe you had to live through it. :P

Great point.  Here is a world without the Beatles, folks.  Enjoy.

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 10:43:13 AM »
I have to agree with Kenny. IMHO The Stones are Beatles wannabes. As a bassist Wyman's bass playing is lets just leave it at unimaginative. Without The Beatles the other bands would never have had the platform or freedom to write, record and control the musical direction of their bands. No Beatles, no British invasion and quite possibly the electric guitar "fad" would have died out. The Beatles cemented the place of the guitar combo in music history and drove sales and manufacturing of electric guitars and all the related equipment.
Not a Stones fan...

The Beatles are arguably one of the most significant bands of all time, mind you...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 02:59:19 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 10:48:03 AM »
I know just about everyone disagrees with me here but...never much respected the Stones  until Wyman was gone. New bassist kicks butt and so does Charlie.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 11:09:44 AM »
I know just about everyone disagrees with me here but...never much respected the Stones  until Wyman was gone. New bassist kicks butt and so does Charlie.

I liked them a lot, but completely lost interest after the "Let It Bleed" album. 

--Blaise Pascal

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 11:09:56 AM »

I'll go one step further. I've never cared for Wyman, and really prefer the Stones with Mick Taylor.  On top of that, I'm not particularly a Who fan, outside of Live at Leeds and Who's Next.  And I don't understand the popularity of Pearl Jam.   8)
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 12:40:38 PM »
Not getting into a Stones vs. Beatles argument, I heard enough of those in the 60s!  ;D 

I did love the early Stones. Personal preferences aside, though, they would never have been a big success had the Beatles not paved the way, and they were never as popular as the Beatles in the 60s.

The "new bassist" (it's been over 20 years now) is certainly capable, but the absence of Wyman is one reason why the Stones aren't even a good Stones cover band today. Love him or hate him, Wyman was part of what made the band what they were.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 01:27:20 PM »
Not getting into a Stones vs. Beatles argument, I heard enough of those in the 60s!  ;D 

I thought it was Elvis vs. Beatles.

Love him or hate him, Wyman was part of what made the band what they were.

There are some things that are painfully true.  It's almost as painful as realizing how young musicians love The Velvet Underground and what a real influence they have become, especially over the last 10 years or so.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 02:55:30 PM »
I thought it was Elvis vs. Beatles.

There are some things that are painfully true.  It's almost as painful as realizing how young musicians love The Velvet Underground and what a real influence they have become, especially over the last 10 years or so.

I wish someone would explain the Velvet Underground to me.  I have a friend who hardly listens to rock, and prefers jazz and funk by far.  Yet she is totally fascinated by the Velvet Underground.  She seems to think that was possibly the best band that ever existed.  She does like the Stones, though, and doesn't like the Beatles. 

--Blaise Pascal

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 03:01:09 PM »
That's the beauty of it really something for everyone. Music stirs the soul the how and why can't be accounted for really
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 03:08:12 PM »
Tom Petty?  Bwahahahaha!
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2014, 03:53:59 PM »
I would like someone to explain velvet underground...I never got that...

On the other hand I got out Live at Leeds earlier...put it in my bag to take to the office...IT STILL SOUNDS GREAT

As a precision guy...that is as good as it gets...('cept for maybe "What's goin' on"--I love soul music)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:59:48 PM by patman »