Author Topic: G.O.T. has left the building.  (Read 8609 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: G.O.T. has left the building.
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2013, 12:52:44 PM »
All great points.  Tommy James's music just happened to be some of the most popular music out there when I started my first band.  So, even though that may be looked at as bubblegum pop now, it did have its place in music history.  But things happened.  For instance, he collapsed on a stage not from where I am now.  It was very serious and I think set him back quite a lot.  Also, he missed the opportunity to play at Woodstock and also to collaborate with George Harrison.  Still, I'll remember the fulfillment I felt when my garage band actually did an acceptable version of "I Think We're Alone Now" for the first time.  (If you're around 15, it can be a big deal.)

That being said, this is still a thread on GodofThunder's situation (which sounds like quite a serious thing to me.)   My personal take on the matter, though, (as I've already stated,) is that it will eventually lead to a going forward, not backward.  
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:11:39 PM by The Great Gatsby »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2013, 02:05:55 PM »
 Your right but I'm in the wrong damn country for it! Life can be so cruel.
Time for that Slade tribute, Scott!!! It's been in you waiting to get out ...
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2013, 02:07:39 PM »
If they are on my bird feeder I get out the pellet gun.
Scott, how do you feel about squirrels....?  :-X
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2013, 02:13:34 PM »
SCOTT...!  :o

... and here was me sorting out some shed plans ... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »

Looking for a job in Europe is not out of the question.  I've tried before and will be trying again soon.  But you're right; the U.S. isn't exactly the place where people appreciate Slade. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 04:21:10 PM by The Great Gatsby »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2013, 03:47:08 PM »

Well, you can start with a Quiet Riot tribute, that gives you two tracks already ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2013, 05:20:05 PM »
Nice Uwe, straight for the jugular.
Well, you can start with a Quiet Riot tribute, that gives you two tracks already ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2013, 05:54:57 PM »
I cannot be blamed for the ignorance of your good countrymen regarding all things Slade!!! You might find a kindred spirit with Fräulein Rommel though, name the band Dueling TBirds and set up a rehearsal space in the Midwest so both of you have the same distance to it when you fly in once a week!

I remember you left Johnny Smoke once before, kissed (in an allegoric way I assume) and made up. Experience tells that if leaving has become necessary once more, there was dry rot to begin with. You're a great bass player (as I heard on your Johnny Smoke recording if mixed a bit loud ...  :mrgreen: ), so don't worry, other people will be glad to play with you. I'm sure you'll carve (ain't saying whether that pun was intended or not ...  :P ) out your sonic and musical niche in any band.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2013, 07:11:11 PM »
I've always found it fascinating that Chas Chandler played such a role in Hendrix's and Slade's career.  Who would have thought that the bass player for the Animals would end up doing such things?  Despite Hendrix making a major mistake, in my opinion, by letting Chas leave during the recording of Electric Ladyland, he still had it in him to do more.  He had the confidence to do something with Slade later on and did it.  I'm of the opinion that if you have the confidence, sooner or later something is going to happen. 

--Blaise Pascal

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2013, 08:02:13 AM »
the U.S. isn't exactly the place where people appreciate Slade.

Appreciate who?  :P

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2013, 08:12:46 AM »
Sigh, a bunch of Brummies who gave these guys a living.

"So you think my singing's out of time ...
Well, it makes me money ..."

That's almost as good as Marc Bolan's irresistible

"I've got a Rolls Royce ...
Cause it's good for my voice ..."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2013, 08:18:54 AM »
They tried it twice...

Personally, they should have done this one.  Oh, Slade's versions are by and far the best.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2013, 08:35:48 AM »

Gud bye T' Jane was the first Slade song I ever heard!  Still my fave too!

I still love the lyrics........  "Get a kick from her '40 trip boots"........"See, see, see...she's a queen"   ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2013, 02:37:04 PM »
 QR what a ungrateful lot. I seem to remember Dubrow slagging Slade of at every opportunity. I saw QR once that video reminds me what a shite show it was. I guess the only good thing to be said about QR covering Slade is that it financed their come back in the 80's and still continues to pay bills for Holder and Lea. Poor Don and Dave are still out there slogging through the trenches still.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2013, 02:43:46 PM »
 Uwe you are correct I did leave once before! I did come back and with the upper hand. Even the upper hand can't fix whats going on now. I won't air it all in public but I will PM you if you want all the gory details.