Author Topic: G.O.T. has left the building.  (Read 8606 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
G.O.T. has left the building.
« on: July 21, 2013, 07:24:10 AM »
  After over 13 years with Johnny Smoke I have decided to call it quites.  In a nut shell the guitar player and drummer can be real dbags at times. Lately their self importance has been intolerable. Also the guitar players "girfriend" a walking train wreck with nothing but chaos in tow has been actually sabotaging us at gigs so bad to the extent that we are never asked back. I am at peace with my decision, something will turn up. Onward and upward.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

westen44

• View Profile
Re: G.O.T. has left the building.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 07:46:19 AM »
I'm sure you'll move on to bigger and better things.  The "girlfriend" situation you mentioned is the kind of thing, needless to say, which has ruined numerous bands.  Often a recipe for disaster--when just one person's interests run counter to the interests of the band. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 08:13:17 AM »
I do think you gotta be friends first in order to keep a band together...

I will miss the music...it always reminded me of growing up in the 70's.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 08:44:15 AM »
Sorry to hear this, Scott. Shame when something like this happens after so long.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 08:48:38 AM »
i see this as an opportunity to move on to a better, maybe more creative situation.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 09:17:03 AM »
That had to be a tough decision after all of that time in the band. I'm sure you will find a better situation to be involved in.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 09:26:51 AM »
I'm sorry to heab that. I did the same thing a month ago because of a controlling Guitar player/singer/songwriter (who should have just stuck to guitar) and a drummer with Bi-Polar Mentall Illness. I tried for 2 years. I'm at the point in my life now where I may just walk away and sell all but maybe 1 bass.....

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 11:11:22 AM »
Hey, stuff happens Bud. It will work out for the best. When you're in a situation that is wrought with frustration , just getting out of it is halfway to something better ;D.
Rick

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 11:14:20 AM »
 Scott, hopefully you'll take some time away - there are other things in life.

I have no doubt that you'll find some new people to make music with, dysfunctional adults and their significant errors don't make good bandmates.
Your situation reminds me that at some point I'll have to hang it up wth my band, can't prance around in a miniskirt forever...........

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:54:21 AM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 11:44:02 AM »
Wow Scott, I'm surprised and sad.  I know what you're going through.  When I left my previous group it was hard, but ended up much better in the end.  I hope for you that it yields a breath of fresh air for you.  You've got lots of history and connections in ROC,  I'm sure you'll connect with someone before you know it!  Best wishes!  Enjoy the time off in between, it can be refreshing too!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 11:47:56 AM »
Scott, this may be tough but it will also improve your quality of life.  I'm sure you'll connect with a better group soon.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 11:51:12 AM »
Sorry to read this Scott. I truly enjoyed all the YouTubes you'v been sharing. I always had the idea you guys had a pretty tight friendship.
One thing is for certain: A great bass player like you won't be without a band for long.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 12:18:32 PM »
Bummer, but things happen for a reason - I'm sure you can do without the stress and aggravation - enough of that in daily life as it is.  Like the others have said - something better will most likely turn up when you least expect it.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 12:53:45 PM »
You always stay when the good outweighs the bad.  You are doing the right thing by moving on.  I've been there.  I quit TWO bands at same time because someone's spouse was making the experience unbearable....it was my ex.  That led me to Kelp, which was all original music.  She HATED that, and never came to more than one or two shows.  It was a win all the way around, and it's the only recording I've ever released.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 04:08:42 PM »
I recommend building a shed...  ;D

(bummer... but better out than in if that's the situ)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...