Author Topic: New Robert Plant Album ~ Band of Joy  (Read 5040 times)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Re: New Robert Plant Album ~ Band of Joy
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 11:40:51 AM »
Dug up Plant's  Mighty Rearranger cd & I'm lovin' it today!
It ain't the MIGHTY Led Zep but it has moments of HEAVINESSS at least.
The title track is FUN to play along to:

I like to play bass along with the lyric line like the guitarist (Porl) is doing.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 05:22:07 PM »
The chick singer on the new album doesn't compare to the great Sandy Denny on Battle of Evermore or Maire Brennan on Come Into My Life from Plant's Fate of Nations album:

Listen to Clannad if you like Maire. She has a solo album that's real good tooo
It's m-e-l-l-o-w like the new Plant album, but good. :D

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 05:55:47 PM »
Oh oh...  ;D

Despite currently being busy promoting his new album ‘Band Of Joy‘, former Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant has refused to rule out the possibility of the legendary band reforming, and revealed talks between the surviving members could get under way soon.

When asked about the current mind-set of the group with regards to a reunion, Plant tantalisingly told A.V. Club: “I think we’re probably thinking about talking.”

Later, Plant also discussed his feelings during Led Zeppelin’s hugely successful reunion show in 2007, when the band re-grouped for one night only to pay tribute to Atlantic Records‘ Ahmet Ertegun. “I was driven to distraction with fear and reminiscences and huge reflections of my mortality and, like, can I do it? Is it best I leave it as it was? Is it some kind of pulsing fun machine? But we had to do it,” he remembered. “We had to say goodbye to Ahmet properly and that was a great way of putting a lot of things back in the box that were all over the floor.”

Plant added that the buzz he used to feel from performing Led Zeppelin songs live was still very much in evidence, and is something he would like to experience again. “I think everybody feels the same, really,” he said. “It’s not even a talking point. I don’t know how many times Stephen Stills has been asked about whether or not he wants to go back to Buffalo Springfield. Maybe he and Neil Young got out in time before it actually had the same kind of effect. I’ve still got a twinkle in me.”

http://www.live4ever.uk.com/2010/09/robert-plant-could-be-ready-to-reunite-led-zeppelin/#ixzz113rFYJ3L

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 03:52:05 AM »
I think Terr just wetted his undies in anticipation! ; - )
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 06:43:39 PM »
YES! I'm excited!!!

All right, Plantski! It's TIME! Get the Zeppelin PUMPED UP & ready to FLY!!!

WooooHooooooooooooooo!!!

Evidently the Band of Joy is the calm before the Storm!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 10:23:40 AM »
What is and what should never be?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 04:58:19 AM by uwe »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 12:59:52 PM »
Neil Young once said he would love to get the Buffalo's back together, but it would have to be the original line up... that was before Bruce and Dewey passed...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Bargeon

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2010, 01:06:51 PM »
Did any of you catch the NPR interview with Plant? I think that was a week or so ago. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129993435

The line that stopped the interviewer was when he said they did the trick in the studio of recroding slow and speeding up playback to raise his voice. He added that live he often wished the PA would break because he knew his voice was not up to the recording, in fact he all but said some of his performances stank. Rather straightforward and humble, I thought.
Dyslexics untie!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2010, 01:16:49 PM »
Did any of you catch the NPR interview with Plant? I think that was a week or so ago. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129993435

Yes, I heard that and thought he did seem straightforward and humble. Personally I thought he seemed very likable in that interview.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Chaser001

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2010, 03:03:12 PM »
I watched VH1 last night.  They had many classic rock videos, including live performances.  In general, I was more impressed with Robert Plant than Jimmy Page in those live performances.  I'm not even a Led Zeppelin fan.  But in most cases the vocals sounded good, IMO.  I think Robert Plant may be underrating himself. 

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2010, 04:20:56 AM »
In my opinion Robert is rightfully not doing a Zeppelin reunion and refusing to be a 'classic rock' artist or doing nostalgia tours.

The new album is great. I especially like the two Low covers, "Silver Rider" and "Monkey":
"http://www.youtube.com/v/TqCqFyptovI?fs=1&hl=fi_FI"

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2010, 05:22:02 AM »
I picked up the album from Amazon for .99 on sale.  It was a fair price for the album.  I put it up there with Ian Hunter's Rant, which is far too introspective for my tastes.  Band of Joy has a few good songs, but I found it more somber than joyful.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2010, 11:02:49 AM »
I am a huge Led Zeppelin fan, a cover band I was in a few years ago did almost an entire set worth of Zep material. I have also followed, to some degree, the various solo projects of the surviving Zep band members and of those I think that Plant's have been the best overall even though that have been wildly inconsistant.

I still love "Pictures At Eleven" and "Principle Of Moments" the last CD of his I have is "The Mighty Rearranger" which IMO is the only other thing that has been as strong as those first two. Still I respect his effort to forge his own path and pursue exactly the music he wants to make irregardless of what others might think.

You go Robert! Wish more musicians had your attitude (read: guts).

As for a Zep reunion, I don't really care one way or the other. It's damn near impossible to capture lightning in a bottle, it is sheer luck, and almost always fails when a performer(s) tries to make it happen a second time.

If they do a reunion I hope they follow the Cream model (and don't suck). And they make sure the fans understand that when it's over, it is over, finished, period!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 04:02:19 PM by Basshappi »
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2010, 03:18:15 PM »
I picked up the album from Amazon for .99 on sale.  It was a fair price for the album.  I put it up there with Ian Hunter's Rant, which is far too introspective for my tastes.  Band of Joy has a few good songs, but I found it more somber than joyful.

A fair price indeed! lol
Somber sums it up well. haha

Still...I gotta say I have listened to it a few times & it's not TOOO bad.

I also have to admit I'm losing interest in a Zep Reunion.
I'll be happy to see Jason Bonham performing with Black Country.
Get BC COMMUNION if you wanna hear some Zep style Hard Rock! Album of the Year!!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2010, 10:15:21 AM »
JPJ said in a recent interview that while the O2 Arena gig was a good and happy performance, it had felt nothing to him like the Zep gigs of yore, people just didn't have the mindset anymore: "If you want to see real Led Zeppelin today you should watch one of the better tribute acts out there."