Author Topic: Remember The Heroes  (Read 560 times)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Remember The Heroes
« on: May 25, 2009, 06:27:34 AM »
Happy Memorial Day! Summer really begins today tho to some it ain't official til next month.
I'll be celebratin' by hittin' the beach...

Remember The Heroes

http://www.last.fm/music/Sammy+Hagar/_/Remember+the+Heroes/+lyrics

Have a good one & stay safe

nofi

Re: Remember The Heroes
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 08:00:17 AM »
my dad was in ww2. he was in all the hell holes you could think of. north africa, burma, new guinie(sp)etc. he never considered himself or any of his comrades a hero in the true definition of the word. he was just doing his job. he even brought home a japanese rifle that i used to play with as a kid. he's still going strong and plays tennis 3 times a week although he has been claiming to be 'only' 84 for the last three years. :mrgreen:

it's sad that in todays lexicon every service person is a hero, every tempermental pop singer is a diva and every kid that makes straight a's is a genius. but i digress... have a happy memorial day!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 02:32:42 PM »
New Guinea was nasty, Nofi... a lot of canibalism took place there...

If your dad was involved in "Blackpool" I would like to talk, re my book about my late father... pm or ignore...  ;) I have had no luck in finding any living survivors, let alone any willing to talk...

We were over in the US for MD 2003 where we got to lay flowers at my wife's late father's grave (ex USAF) ...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 05:05:49 PM »
I respect anyone who has served in the military for their willingness to take on the job of defending their country, and to put their life into the balance.

However, I feel the term "hero" has been considerably diminished by its current usage.  Anyone who has gotten a hangnail in the line of duty is called a hero.

Sometimes people are called upon by the situation or their judgment to do highly unusual things; to carry out acts that go beyond the job they're in, the position they occupy, or their normal responsibilities.  I don't think doing your job - even when it's stressful or dangerous - makes you a hero.  The careless way the term is used and applied with a broad brush puts me off.

That said, there are heroes - both live and dead, civilian and military, male and female.  This is a great day to remember and honor them.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."