Author Topic: In case you're not already following Nandi Bushnell...  (Read 2456 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: In case you're not already following Nandi Bushnell...
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2021, 06:50:11 AM »
Nickelback's most satanic song is still this here:

They are both bands that can't play a proper riff, they are what I call 'strummers'. You know what a proper riff is, this here:

I still haven't forgiven Punk for the resurgence of the rhythm guitar as the dominating instrument in many bands. U2, Foo Fighters, Coldplay ... they all can't write and play a catchy riff to save their life. I like riff-oriented music, always have. My first single was Alice Cooper's School's Out, now that's a riff!

« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 06:55:18 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2021, 12:49:26 PM »
I don't own any Foo Fighters records, but I fail to see what's so horrible about them.
They seem like bonafide musicians to me. And Dave Grohl certainly has my respect.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2021, 02:33:35 PM »
They seem kind of lackluster to me.  Like they're trying really hard to come up with something interesting, but never fully succeeding.  However, I'm sure that description would fit a number of bands.  Like this song from years ago; it just never registered with me why this would be something that anyone would want to listen to.  "My Hero" in case it doesn't play in certain countries.

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2021, 03:08:42 PM »
I've seen most of the musicians in the last video play this song live... I saw Dio perform that song with RB back in 77... and in his own right shortly after leaving Sabbath...
I'd love to have seen GFR in their heyday... one of my few musical regrets...

I'm coming out... right here... right now...

I like Nickel(gag)back, I have all of their regular releases, and I HAVE seen them in concert... AND enjoyed the experience... And bought the Tee... And I've been seen in public wearing it... And I'd Do It Again...!

I like the Foo (hoo) Fighters, I have all of their regular releases, and I HAVE seen them in concert... AND enjoyed the experience...  And bought the Tee... And I've been seen in public wearing it... And I'd Do It Again too...!

There... it's done... it's OUT THERE in the BIG BAD WORLD... and I DO NOT feel DIRTY for revealing such a thing to my esteemed colleagues...

I also prefer Tim Curry's version of this song... it's a more "honest" version... music needs honesty...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmReoyth7H8&ab_channel=AmirSuperTube

ps... bought this when it came out... and his next LP... and the third... lol
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2021, 03:39:32 PM »
No Tee?  :o

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2021, 06:38:03 PM »
So much for celebrating the joy of an 11-year-old girl playing drums for a packed arena and absolutely crushing it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2021, 07:49:37 AM »
You're right, all credit to her and may she have a long-lasting career in the music biz (if that should be her choice; if she wants to go to law school instead, then that is fine too). I find the song nondescript, her drumming is fine. You really can't blame the children for the sins of adults.

I'm sure Dave Grohl and his bandmates are fine people, but just like Nirvana did zilch for me, the Foo Fighters leave me cold too. Their music is neither here nor there for me, I don't hear a distinct style. What is it, power pop-grungy-punky-rootsy-hard rock-feel good something? I have more than half a dozen albums of theirs, but - like with U2, Pearl Jam, Coldplay or Green Day (of which I all own a lot of albums as well) - I can't latch on to most of it. It must be a generational thing.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2021, 07:56:38 AM »

I also prefer Tim Curry's version of this song... it's a more "honest" version... music needs honesty...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmReoyth7H8&ab_channel=AmirSuperTube

ps... bought this when it came out... and his next LP... and the third... lol

Welcome to the club. I liked (and own) his trilogy of albums too. There was some Ian Dury in him, that expressiveness some people might think OTT.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2021, 12:57:51 PM »
[...] I can't latch on to most of it. It must be a generational thing.

Interestingly, I feel the same way about a lot of the the music posted here and elsewhere in the forum. No big deal, it's OK to like different styles and I'm learning more about the history of these bands just by hanging out here and reading everyone's posts.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2021, 01:24:23 PM »
Welcome to the club. I liked (and own) his trilogy of albums too. There was some Ian Dury in him, that expressiveness some people might think OTT.

Is that Carla Bley on keyboard there?!?!

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2021, 02:40:26 PM »
I totally understand not being excited by the Foo Fighters (I was offended all out of proportion when they got inducted to the stupid Hall of Fame ahead of a slew of vastly more significant / influential nominees)

... but c'mon guys, Nandi is a delight, let's go back to vicariously feeling her joy.  It brought  a tear to my eye.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2021, 04:15:26 PM »
Is that Carla Bley on keyboard there?!?!

I was thinking the same thing because of her 'fro, but she plays nothing like her.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2021, 04:16:39 PM »
Nandi is wonderful, she just needs another backing band.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2021, 10:13:11 PM »
So much for celebrating the joy of an 11-year-old girl playing drums for a packed arena and absolutely crushing it.

I don't see any7 disrespect for her performance, it's great. We just like to wander off-topic

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2021, 08:23:50 AM »
I don't see any7 disrespect for her performance, it's great. We just like to wander off-topic

Wander? More of a stampede...... ;)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."