Author Topic: Epiphone Ravoli  (Read 5311 times)

AxShack

• View Profile
    • AxShack
Epiphone Ravoli
« on: December 30, 2011, 12:12:18 AM »
Hi all, Newbie member here, both player (I use a Carvin semi-acoustic and a Guild Starfire), and a Luthier.

I have got the job of resurrecting an Epi Ravoli that has no hardware on it (see photo). 
I would be grateful if anyone can tell me what are the specifications of the pots?  I have a schematic, but there is very little info on it!

But, mostly I need to locate a bridge like the one in second photo.  If anyone knows of one going spare or where I am in with a chance of getting one, please let me know.

Dave

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Re: Epiphone Ravoli
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:16:17 AM »
recently i read somewhere that the Rivoli was wired the same as an EB2 but i can't remember where i read it at. maybe in here dunno (i think my oldshiemers is kicking in).

good luck on finding a Gibby choke for the "suck" switch. for the bridge i would use a Hipshot two poster bridge. mucho betterer but each to their own.

welcome to the post.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 06:33:02 AM »
The Rivoli is exactly the same instrument as an EB-2 except for cosmetic differences. Pots are 500k. .375" bushing.  Baritone switch is difficult to find.

Those bridges (pre '66) come up occasionally on EBay, they're used on EB 0, 2 and 3.  This bridge is listed as a Gibson but it's NOT.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-1960S-GIBSON-EB-BASS-BRIDGE-PLATE-/320819555548?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4ab255ecdc.

A 66-early 67 bridge will work, it's slightly different but fits the same stud spacing. 

If you can't find studs, Tonepros nickel work very well.  I've used them as replacements for rusty originals.

Hipshot's 2 point Supertone is designed for late '67-72 basses.

Good Luck!

AxShack

• View Profile
    • AxShack
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 07:29:57 AM »
Brilliant set of replies there folks, thanks very much !
Dave

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 02:07:28 PM »
making a suck circuit:

might try one of these:

they measure 5/8" by 1.25" by 1 5/8" and are 1.5 Henry rated. it is the closest thing i could find available to an original Gibby choke and i don't know how it would fit in the Rivoli. the round bobbin type chokes are available from Curtis Novak or SGD Lutherie (?) who is a member here.

these chokes are available from Nebraska Surplus listed under power chokes light duty. (CPW) MQA-13
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 07:46:38 PM »
The actual choke switch itself is available at most hardware stores, as it is a push button on/off switch used on lamps, sconces, etc for the past 100 years.  I have Ace and You Do It hardware stores locally, and both have them, although some use a plastic housing.  Still structurally identical.

I mod Kahler 5 string bridges to fit Gibsons.  No holes or modding of the body, but a bit of a big footprint.  Scour ebay for a bit, and you can find one, or you could actually make one if you have access to a machine shop or metal casting.

Knobs for that would be insert vol and tone knobs in gold, which you can get repro via Allparts.

Tuners are work too, as most are too big for the hole.  A lot of people used to just stick Schallers on there and ream it out, but that looks fugly. 
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

sniper

• View Profile

AxShack

• View Profile
    • AxShack
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 07:37:51 AM »
Once more, all the information I need! especially the eBay item !!
if the owner of the bass agrees, I reckon I will be bidding for this in a few days time !!
Dave
 :)

AxShack

• View Profile
    • AxShack
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 07:39:19 AM »
BTW...I am a bit confused...is it Ravoli or Rivoli ??
the Gibson schematic has both names on the same drawing !!

dave

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 08:54:15 AM »
It's Rivoli, sometimes jokingly called Ravioli. Rarely you might see it called an EB232 which was a price list designation. The catalogs called it Rivoli.

AxShack

• View Profile
    • AxShack
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 07:28:19 AM »
It's Rivoli, sometimes jokingly called Ravioli. Rarely you might see it called an EB232 which was a price list designation. The catalogs called it Rivoli.

Phew, thanks for the Dave I was having an identity crisis there !!!

Dave

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 11:22:44 AM »
Not to be confused with ravioli...because it has soggy strings.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 09:16:45 PM »
sold my mint rivoli about 3 months ago because the epi pickup is crappy and i have another gib eb2 shell ( really butchered up thogh)  that will eventuaslly replace it.  if you are doing all that work get a real gib pup or the novak version.  the epi is lousy
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

AxShack

• View Profile
    • AxShack
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 09:20:55 PM »
sold my mint rivoli about 3 months ago because the epi pickup is crappy and i have another gib eb2 shell ( really butchered up thogh)  that will eventuaslly replace it.  if you are doing all that work get a real gib pup or the novak version.  the epi is lousy
Thankfully, have got a good replacement.
D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 09:37:41 PM »
Just to be clear, the original Epi pickup from the 60s is identical to the 60s Gibson, and is not crap.

The late 90s Korean Epi pickup only looks like the originals. It's not even close in sound.