Author Topic: Oh my!  (Read 11192 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Oh my!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 02:55:05 PM »
Poor Uwe  :toast:

Hornisse

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 02:59:28 PM »
I was thinking the same thing!   8)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 03:03:04 PM »
For that estimated overseas shipping charge, you might as well book two coach seats for "Mr. Gibson" and fly it over.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 04:21:08 PM »
Screams fake to me. Different route patterns on the control cavities, diverging neck angles, butt check lower bought. A married piece imho.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 04:29:18 PM »
I was thinking the same thing - TWO serial numbers!?  And I have never seen the controls of the top instrument located where they are.  With the refin, two serial numbers, and the controls I think it is fishy at best.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 04:36:56 PM »
I was thinking the same thing - TWO serial numbers!?  And I have never seen the controls of the top instrument located where they are.  With the refin, two serial numbers, and the controls I think it is fishy at best.
Yeah the two sets of controls are bogus.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Hornisse

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 06:15:28 PM »
The necks are angled because of the tuners.  It looks as though a lefty EB6 was grafted to a right handed EB3.  The pots all match too.  Could have been a special order in 1970?  I remember seeing this in Austin back in the 1980's.  Seems like someone went through a lot of effort if it is a fake. 

I think the overseas shipping charges are most likely $450. 

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 06:26:30 PM »
Being a black refin................ it must be worth more than if it were all origional!  :o :o ??? ??? ??? :mrgreen:
It's still cheaper than any EB-6 I've seen lately.. :-\
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 12:39:45 AM »
Wow, two shortscale basses glued together! Sounds extra-useful!  :P
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 07:03:36 AM »
My concern was the cavities, too...

Some of you collectors will be able to correct me here, but why is the colour in the cavity differing from the cherry under the black...?

I've not seen many up close (played a Gibbie cherry 6/12 some years back, also have some good BJH pics of a guitar/bass combo) but someone here must have had a chance to see one, and anyone got a pic of one in their collection for an example...?

Doesn't make sense to have two sets of controls...

If she is the genuine article, that would not be an unreasonable price - a collection and seat on a flight back to the Fatherland would not be unreasonable, compared to that shipping cost...

An LBO brother could make the trip to secure post payment and look after the girlie until she was collected, but only if she were not a "cut-and-shut..."

Yet again... caveat emptor...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 07:06:58 AM »

seen these before and have my own pics...

a 1966 mandolin/tenor banjo...

Two distinctly differing builds, but look at the control and scratchplate configuration  - both pretty much spot on the same - anyone can google Mr Page and see the same configuration on a 6/12...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 07:24:32 AM by Kenny's 51st State »
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 08:21:15 AM »
Note the paralell necks and no butt crack in the pics Kenny posted.

Hornisse

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 08:46:30 AM »

Ace's old Doubleneck has the necks a bit skewed, but you can't really see the butt crack.  The only double neck Gibbie with a six string bass I could find was this old gem, and it has a six string guitar on bottom.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 08:55:56 AM »
I spotted that one earlier too, Robert, but I suspect that the divergence is due to the shot being taken with a wide angle lens (I think) with the neck coming towards the lens, hence the divergence in the necks - they have necks that are pretty much parallel from all the images I've seen...

also found this Gibson variant as I was trawling with two sets of controls, but below each neck pair...

Hold on a moment... hasn't this been up for sale before...?