Author Topic: New Metallica Song  (Read 375 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
New Metallica Song
« on: November 30, 2022, 06:29:10 AM »
Anyone heard it?

It's OK and nice to see Het actually putting some guts into his singing again. But I liked it better the FIRST time they played it:

..and it's even a cover from Sweet Savage. Oh you millionaire/billionaire rock stars!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: New Metallica Song
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 07:16:26 AM »
I still hear Eric Bloom (BÖC) singing Kill the King (Rainbow).

:rimshot:

To all intents and purposes, Metallica have by now become a honorary member of the genre Classic Rock. Their fans flock at their gigs for their iconic past, not to see the band try out new stuff.

There is more youthful energy and enthusiasm in the older song Killing Time/Sweet Savage cover (which sounds a bit like Motörhead to me), but I like Hetfield's vocals today better. He has learned to know what he is doing and works well within his limits.

Like most of Metallica, it's neither awful nor the second coming of The Beatles.

Say, aren't you a bit old to still hear Metallica? I always thought that it is much like pimples - a passing thing.  8)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 07:46:13 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 08:42:37 AM »
That double bass had me thinking Overkill from the get go. Newstead got a chance to play some interesting lines. Nothing sticking out bass wise on this new one sadly.

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 09:34:28 AM »
Which reminds me, I did see Overkill once, in 1988 or 89 in some NYC club. Man, were they fast, way too fast for my limited musical comprehension. I also saw Metallica once, on that first tour with Jason Newsted still promoting Master of Puppets. It was a bemusing experience, I can't relate to music that fast, never could. When I'm at a Judas Priest gig and they play one of their handful of speed metal songs, I'm always relieved when it's done with.

I can't help it, but anything faster than this here is inexplicable speed metal to me:

That's an uncool thing to say, but I remember that the fastest song I had heard in the 70ies up to then was this here

(I was even at that exact very same gig in Munich, standing right before Ritchie.)

and I thought even back then: Isn't this played way too fast?  :mrgreen:

Sometimes, ultra-fast can be hilarious, but not often, and two-and-a-half-minutes of it is enough to last me a day:

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 10:34:19 AM »
There is more youthful energy and enthusiasm in the older song Killing Time/Sweet Savage cover (which sounds a bit like Motörhead to me), but I like Hetfield's vocals today better. He has learned to know what he is doing and works well within his limits.

IIRC Killing Time was originally recorded in the sessions when Jason first joined in 1986 before they put out ...And Justice for All, but not released until 1992 as the B-side to The Unforgiven. It sounds like a band just plain having fun, which they were.

Say, aren't you a bit old to still hear Metallica? I always thought that it is much like pimples - a passing thing.  8)

Though I hold little love for them now, I was hooked in 1986 and remain so on the stuff I heard then. The new song was a "surprise" release yesterday for a previously unannounced album due out next spring and the first time I heard it, I liked it OK for having guitars way too compressed, almost no bass, James actually singing without crooning... and it being a complete rehash of their earlier cover.

That double bass had me thinking Overkill from the get go. Newstead got a chance to play some interesting lines. Nothing sticking out bass wise on this new one sadly.

Trujillo has ONE job and he does it well: NEVER step on Lars or James sonically. And for anyone to think "the Little Dane" (as Uwe calls him) learned anything about his past studio antics regarding bass and mix level, check out the recent re-releases of Metallica's remastered back catalog: what you could previously hear of Cliff before is even MORE buried now. It works for them, but not for me.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 05:07:36 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 12:18:43 PM »
Metallica, along with the Stones, Aerosmith, AC/DC, GnR (and probably many more that I can't think of) can quietly disappear as far as I'm concerned.  :bored: They were done after the black album IMO.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 12:39:15 PM »
I have no idea what's possessing den kleinen Dänen, he'd sound so much better if you could also hear some bass. And you'd still hear that Metallica are - like the Stones and the Scorpions - essentially a 'rhythm guitar & drums'-driven band. No bass would be standing in his light. And I'm not even someone who thinks he's a bad drummer.