Author Topic: 2021 Nonreverse Thunderbird update  (Read 8751 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Re: 2021 Nonreverse Thunderbird update
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2021, 06:45:43 AM »
Wish it was! That's the replica (or tribute, it has 4 in line tuners) I built a few years back!

Wow.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2021, 06:19:06 AM »
Nice job on the explorer for sure. I'm still feeling slightly catfished from that blue bird. (The rev from another thread) Hopefully Gibson takes note of our admiration and puts those into production soon.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2021, 08:02:14 AM »

What Gibson needs to do is take this hardware and the paint colors offered and transfer them to the Reverse. I collect for Fins and hardware! :-*

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2021, 12:47:21 PM »
"I collect for fins and hardware!"

You waste- and sinful girl!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2021, 05:22:38 PM »
"I collect for fins and hardware!"

You waste- and sinful girl!

I do what I can! 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2021, 04:13:05 AM »
   Love the Explorer bass ! ilan can you explain your process? I ve been wanting to build a '58 for some time now.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2021, 12:35:17 PM »
   Love the Explorer bass ! ilan can you explain your process? I ve been wanting to build a '58 for some time now.

It is Amptech who built it.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2021, 08:42:15 AM »

Me and mine, there's a bit of explanation after the song, feel free to FF through that!  :-*

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2021, 09:20:08 AM »
Sinner !!!

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2021, 09:42:01 AM »
Sinner !!!

I think pretty much everyone here already knows that  ;) 

Did you want the written review? It evidently is not the same as the 2014 in quite a few ways, you should collect for Fins and Hardware! Chrome is good!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2021, 04:59:32 PM »
Yes, of course I do!

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2021, 08:15:35 PM »

Here we are....

Long awaited by some, the new Gibson Non Reverse Thunderbird is now out and available, and I have to say it does not disappoint! These basses feature a set neck neck construction, new Hipshot clover tuners, new pickups and chrome hardware throughout. My example came from the folks at Sweetwater, it was nicely set up with low action and was ready to play afetr being tuned up. Some notable differences would be the neck, it's quite a bit beefier than a standard Reverse Thunderbird, with the thickness of the wood increased to 11/16th at the headstock. Post '88 Reverse Birds are 9/16ths and '76s just a shade over 1/2". I have yet to take this bass apart to look at the pickups, they do not sound like any of the previous (5) versions of pickups Gibson has used in Thunderbirds since 1988, they're warm and growly with a nice punch to them, soloing the neck pup is bliss!
Gibson gets slagged for QC often but I've found this bass to be really well done, with nice attention to detail in the finish, especially around the base of the neck, but overall as well. The fret ends are very neatly done with no sprout at all, it's just a good, solid player. It uses a 3 point bridge which some folks don't like....Yada, yada... it works really well on this bass, it's shallow neck pitch and the bridge get along quite well and as I mentioned the action is quite low, and aesthetically it looks like it belongs on the bass.
Anyway, its a very solid and well made bass, so far I'm really enjoying playing it and its tone, a keeper for sure!

Here's pics as well. 

Neck comparison to a Studio.

Down on of the headstock, it's 11/16ths thick, standard post '88s are 9/16ths here.

Pretty nicely finished around the base of the neck.

At the nut.

Detail

The much maligned Madame. This one works great!

Gray day photo phun!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2021, 05:23:26 AM »
 My 2021 NR in Inverness Green showed up last week,   overall all I like it though there are some issues.  First I'd like to say I am judging this bass on it's own merits so there will be no three point bashing.  The bass reeks of laquer this one was definitely rushed through, the smell was so bad I had to keep it in the case, after a week it is tolerable.  Confirming that the finish wasn't cured there are bubbles on the headstock under the tuner washers indicating that the bass was assembled before the finish had cured. My dealer is talking to Gibson for a resolution.
   Now the good.  I  like the pickups not as aggressive as the Vintage Pro's 760 pickups but definitely in the same family, they remind me of Seymour Duncan custom shop Thunderbird pickups that I have in other basses. The neck is beefy no doubt about it at the nut it reminds me of a cross between a Thunderbird and Telecaster bass. When the bass came in it was virtually unplayable the neck bow was so pronounced fortunately adjusting the truss rod brought things around. Once set up super low action the bass plays great, fret work is excellent. The bass is light but I don't find it neck heavy at all.  This is certainly Gibson's best effort in a long time.  I'll have a video review up soon.  Bill would have liked these.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 08:35:51 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2021, 01:06:05 PM »
[...] Bill would have liked these.

:sad:

I "met" Bill over at Reranch and he is 100% the reason I'm here.