Author Topic: Any info on 1970's 15" Fane speakers?  (Read 2359 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Any info on 1970's 15" Fane speakers?
« on: July 29, 2010, 10:43:36 PM »
I just picked up a cab with 2 x 15" Fane speakers for next to nothing. I have no knowledge except I have heard of Fane guitar speakers from guit4rists before. The label is blue and says Heavey Duty High power Loudspeaker and few other generic comments. There is a number on it. 15108. Any info appreciated.
Digresion our specialty!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Any info on 1970's 15" Fane speakers?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 11:12:08 PM »
Hiwatt used Fane speakers in their cabs. Modern Hiwatts have Celestions, but you can buy them with Fanes if you pay some more. I guess it could be speakers out of a Hiwatt 2x15?

My former guitar player has a VOX AC30, which is made at the end of the 70s or early 80s and that one has Fanes too. I guess they were quite common in the UK?

For a lot of knowledge about vintage amps and speakers, I often visit the Plexi Palace Bulletin Board. (use google, I don't have a direct libk by hand)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 02:43:07 PM »
Now you need a nice vintage Hiwatt to go with all that OOMPH...!

Hold fire a cotton pickin' minute, you Southern Hemisphere varmint... didn't you just pick up a couple of truly vicious fifteens for something else...?

You just filling up the gas-tank, methinks... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 08:47:29 PM »
I had a Hiwatt 2150 that I bought new in '78 loaded with Fanes great sounding cab ! I have a 2150 now loaded with Emenence, and it sounds fantastic. I don't care for vintage bass drivers, I'll just blow them in the end. Hell I do that with new drivers.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 05:14:34 AM »
Thanks guys. I picked these up for $50 and only at this price because I insisted on them taking some money at all. They were going to throw them out. Ken, the recent EV's I purchased were replacements for the 25 year old originals that I had in my main rig. This is more - picked up something interesting cheap kind of thing.
Scott, I hear ya mate thats why I run the EV's  lol  ;D
Chris, I will have a nosey around plexi, thanks for the tip.
Digresion our specialty!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 05:18:53 AM »
I had a Hiwatt 2150 that I bought new in '78 loaded with Fanes great sounding cab ! I have a 2150 now loaded with Emenence, and it sounds fantastic. I don't care for vintage bass drivers, I'll just blow them in the end. Hell I do that with new drivers.

I couldn't agree more about vintage bass speakers. There are a few exceptions to the rule, like if you're trying to get the most out of a vintage head that doesn't make a lot of power and you use a JBL or Altec to make the most of what the head can deliver. In general , you're better off with a newer design speaker than those of yesteryear.
Rick

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 11:06:05 AM »
I just picked up a cab with 2 x 15" Fane speakers for next to nothing. I have no knowledge except I have heard of Fane guitar speakers from guit4rists before. The label is blue and says Heavey Duty High power Loudspeaker and few other generic comments. There is a number on it. 15108. Any info appreciated.

I bought what sounds like identical speakers a few years ago off ebay UK, I paid around £30. IIRC theye were from some industrial PA speakers, kinda lie a tannoy, they were 150 watts each & had a secondary cone in the middle around the coil cover.
I had them in a Marshall JCM 800 & just like Scott says my Hiwatt 201 made very short work of them, switched them out a few weeks later for Emminenece Deltas.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 07:11:20 AM »
The speakers holding up really depends more on the cabinet they're installed in and what your expectations of them are. Older speakers meant for sealed cabinets have relatively short excursion and lower power handling, but are far more efficient across the board, including low frequencies. (Additionally, as speakers age, their suspension loosens and their resonant fequency drops.) Modern speakers designed for ported cabs have tremendous amounts of power handling and excursion, but are more inefficient and less responsive. The tradeoff is supposed to be for additional power handling for additional volume, but that's rarely true, and if you're installing vintage speakers in a modern or homebrew ported cabinet hit with large amounts of s/s power, you're already asking for trouble. It's not the fault of the speakers.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 07:36:47 AM by Psycho Bass Guy »

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 02:48:03 PM »
BTW, re the question of vintage Fanes: Fane was pretty much the English equivalent to EV back in the day, making higher powered and brighter sounding/louder speakers than most of their contemporaries.