Author Topic: The Who do the Super Bowl  (Read 2102 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
The Who do the Super Bowl
« on: November 27, 2009, 08:16:13 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2009/11/26/perform-super-bowl-halftime/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%253A+foxnews%252Fentertainment+%2528FOXNews.com+-+Entertainment%2529

What, they're running out of money? 

Probably a good way to reinforce their brand with the younger crowd though.

Wonder if Pino will play with them?

nofi

Re: The Who do the Super Bowl
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 08:22:50 AM »
didn't they retire back in 1984.  :mrgreen: :P

jmcgliss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 08:59:24 AM »
What? Doesn't the Superbowl need performers who wear a sequined glove, have a boob fall out, or stumble around like a craggy old fart on 'ludes?  At least The Who passes the test of "artists popular with sports fans who haven't purchased new music since 1984".
RD Artist w/ Victory headstock (sold)
2009 Epiphone Thunderbird IV silverburst (mods pending)
2005 Lakland Decade Dark Star | 2009 55-02 Chi-Sonic
2005 Dark Star P-Bass | 1986 Pedulla Buzz |
Eden heads with various 12's and 10's | Ampeg B-15N

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 09:16:55 AM »
"the Who".... Just doesn't seem right. They were pushing it, using the name after Moon died. But now, with no Moon OR Entwistle, it just smells like a cash grab. It's more like "The music of Pete Townsend featuring Roger Daltrey and friends".

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 09:58:23 AM »
What? Doesn't the Superbowl need performers who wear a sequined glove, have a boob fall out, or stumble around like a craggy old fart on 'ludes?  At least The Who passes the test of "artists popular with sports fans who haven't purchased new music since 1984".

Don't forget that Paul McCartney played superbowl halftime about 4 super bowls ago. It's not all bad.

Still, I'd prefer the Who's current lineup to most they've had in recent years.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 03:06:50 PM »
I like it!  I love the Who's music, and seeing them at halftime will be a kick in the butt as far as I'm concerned.

And anyone who watches any of the CSI derivatives on TV already knows part of their music.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 07:29:19 PM »
I saw the last tour here in Houston and it was very obvious who was a CSI fan - when one of the CSI used songs played all the 30ish types jumped up and hooted and hollered - the rest of the show the same people sat and seemed to be clueless with the balance of the songs. ???

At the same show, I kid you not, I saw some ushers help a mid 60ish women get down the stairs with her walker ;)  He husband, old man, was walking with a cane - both were dressed like old, authentic, hippies ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 07:41:59 PM »
Those of us who reached adulthood in the 60s are in their 60s now, or at least close.

Just like Roger and Pete!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 03:47:10 PM »
I'm with Tom on this... Post Moon, they were just not the same band... but I wish them well...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 05:43:39 PM »
they should change their name to "Who's Left"
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 12:16:31 PM »
they should change their name to "Who's Left"
LMAO ! or maybe Who's Next ? As in who is going to leave this world first, Pete or Roger ?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 02:18:47 PM »
"HOPE I DIE BEFORE I GET OLD..." to quote Mr Townshend...

Bit late now... ;D
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 03:11:49 PM »
I have to say that the NY 9/11 show with Entwistle was as nice as they ever were live.  Better than the Kenny Jones era stuff, although I don't mean to suggest he had anything to do with the bad material and mailing-it-in shows.  The problem is both Moon and Entwistle were so unique in style and personality that it may be too much to ignore.  I am looking forward to seeing them at half time.  They certainly don't embarrass themselves with the way Pete is playing or Roger is singing these days. 
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 03:22:10 PM »
Can't argue with that either EB...

I only saw them once; that was in '76 at a "football ground" gig in London ("WHO PUT THE BOOT IN" was the 3 date tour  ;D) - there was no doubt that pretty much everyone knew all the songs... Alex Harvey and Little Feat were support acts...

The "show" runs a bit late (read early - we are five hours ahead of NY) for "live" UK viewing so I will probably miss this one...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 04:52:46 PM »
I am hopin the Who are good enough to watch while the Vikes and Pats break for halftime.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.