Author Topic: Witnessed a homicide today  (Read 3866 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Witnessed a homicide today
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 11:53:39 AM »
Thanks for all you support guys. I am fine. Where I work is not a good neighborhood, drugs, prostitution, etc. I am sad that he died that way but much of it is how it appears he lived his life. I knew it was a matter of time till I saw something like this. This is my last week there I start a new job on the 28th, I can't wait till I don't have to travel to that neighborhood.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 04:08:35 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 01:50:48 PM »

Scott, Sorry you had to see that.

Glad to hear you've got a new job lined up tho, that's great news!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 05:26:49 AM »
I'm sorry to know you saw that but am equally happy you won't have to go to that 'hood anymore!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 10:59:18 AM »
Good luck with the new job!  Hope it turns out safer too!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 04:38:19 AM »
I saw my mother die before my eyes two years ago - or what was left of her - but that was a mercy death and I was relieved that it was over. As a teenager, I witnessed a car accident that had happened seconds before on a road in Zaire, one passenger was decapitated and I was surprised how much blood with how much force was pumping out of his neck, it sprayed through the broken windows of the car several yards into the street. The image has stuck with me, but more as a fascinating phenomenon than as anything disturbing - generally, I'm not uncomfortable around dead people (if they are not loved ones or their death a surprise), I noticed that when I once witnessed a pathologist at work thinking to myself "I could probably do that if had studied medicine".

But what you have witnessed, Scott, is entirely different due to that sudden violence component. We see violence on TV and in movies all the time, we're saturated with it, but seeing someone get hit on the nose with it starting to bleed in real life is a different experience to seing a gruesome scene in some splatter movie where my mind is constantly feeding me "this is only make-believe" (I could never bring myself to watch a real snuff scene, I don't even like to watch boxing). I think it is a good thing that we are all (or most of us) able to make that distinction. So I hope this doesn't work too long in you, Scott, but there is no reason to deplore that you are feeling what you are feeling right now either. Good guy. Write a song about it.

Uwe  
Uwe I am very sorry to hear about your Mom, I know how hard that must have been. My Dad passed 11 years ago , Mom has been gone 12, both had long drawn out illnesses, it was had to watch them slip away.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 08:33:12 AM »
Scott, I'm glad the new job worked out. Sometimes a suit can bring good luck!

I saw both my parents die (six months apart). Natural causes, but it was a pretty hard time for me. I'm glad I was with them though, as I was able to be with them literally until the end. Losing your folks is one of those things everyone goes through, of course, but you never understand the impact until you go through it.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 10:46:49 AM »
Again as per all of us, good luck with the new job...

Lost my mum quickly from a burst peptic ulcer (underlying big "C"), back in '92, but we spent a month up on the Island in '01 waiting for my dad to pass when he had melanoma... we (me and my wife, Jackie) were with them both when they passed... going to come back to this later...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 05:19:37 AM »
I wasn't present when both of my parents passed away unexpectedly in Ohio, so I have some regrets over that. You just never know............

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 07:33:08 AM »
I was dragged away from the PC to go and see Harry Potter...

I was with both of my parents when they passed and the circumstances could not have been more different...
My father passed quietly, not a word, just looking out of the window in the hospice, still looking for the reasons he survived the War - fate is an odd thing...
My mother, on the other hand (I've inherited her jaw gene) could talk the hind legs off a donkey (be thankful you're where you are - I could persuade the "mega" donkey [thank u DA] to go for a walk, afterwards, if only in desperation to get away from me in full rant mode...!)... before she fell silent and passed in the early hours of the morning (they "put her to sleep", the only way I can view it), one of my cousins was there with us, translating what she was saying (she had been "asleep" for most of the evening, but still talking, and only in Gaelic) - we were told that she was chatting to all sorts of people, like she was at a "ceilidh", a dance, or a party, but my cousin was a bit unnerved by it all as all the names she mentioned were people who had already passed, like they were welcoming her home... the last coherent word I heard her say was "purple", what ever that was meant to mean...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 10:52:01 AM »
Living out of state, I wasn't able to be there for my parents (Dad in 78 and Mom in 07).  Both died suddenly and unexpectedly, so I didn't have a chance to see them or prepare emotionally for it. It's tough at first, but you keep moving forward and look on the bright side. Neither of them suffered at the moment and they passed away in peace.  In the end, I still believe God is good, even when we don't understand it!

I was dragged away from the PC to go and see Harry Potter...

I was with both of my parents when they passed and the circumstances could not have been more different...
My father passed quietly, not a word, just looking out of the window in the hospice, still looking for the reasons he survived the War - fate is an odd thing...
My mother, on the other hand (I've inherited her jaw gene) could talk the hind legs off a donkey (be thankful you're where you are - I could persuade the "mega" donkey [thank u DA] to go for a walk, afterwards, if only in desperation to get away from me in full rant mode...!)... before she fell silent and passed in the early hours of the morning (they "put her to sleep", the only way I can view it), one of my cousins was there with us, translating what she was saying (she had been "asleep" for most of the evening, but still talking, and only in Gaelic) - we were told that she was chatting to all sorts of people, like she was at a "ceilidh", a dance, or a party, but my cousin was a bit unnerved by it all as all the names she mentioned were people who had already passed, like they were welcoming her home... the last coherent word I heard her say was "purple", what ever that was meant to mean...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 01:28:31 PM »
I took care of my father in his last days of Pancreatic Cancer. I was the only family member with him when he passed. My sister came in from California to see him, but got stuck in traffic and arrived two hours too late.

It was like birth in reverse, is the only way I could describe it. Things just started shutting down on him, one at a time till he passed. I am grateful for the time we were able to spend together.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 12:38:19 PM »
Amen, brother John... Amen...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 02:53:28 PM »
"Things just started shutting down on him ...".

Very well put, John. Exactly how it was with my mother. You could watch her body temperature drop in coma by the minute. A young doctor came in, looked at the computer graphs and said: "This won't last long anymore. Get ready to say good bye." And within the next ten minutes she stopped breathing, jerked once and was dead. You can immediately tell if someone is dead, I realized that then.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...