Author Topic: Reproduction NR Thunderbirds  (Read 10220 times)

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
Re: Reproduction NR Thunderbirds
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2015, 05:04:24 AM »
Gibson didn't claim the recent NR was a faithful reissue, but was originally supposed to be. The whole thing started with Scott and Doc talking to the Gibson rep for House of Guitars in Rochester. IIRC he provided Gibson with all the necessary information to do it right, but they wouldn't do it. So I understand the frustration.

Did Gibson agree to do it "right" and then renege?
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2015, 07:52:37 AM »
  Agree and renege are a little strong. The House of Guitars wanted to do a limited run. At first Gibson was on board then Gibson sort of took the ball and ran with it and produced what was released in 2013. Hey it's their ball I suppose.  :rolleyes:
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dc10bass

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
www.talesofcream.com - A Tribute to the Music of Cream
www.facebook.com/LIVETHEWHO - The Who Tribute

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2015, 06:28:08 PM »
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2015, 06:32:15 PM »
Seen this . It's on ebay as well. I can do a better build for less.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2015, 10:05:13 PM »
Seen this . It's on ebay as well. I can do a better build for less.

I'm sure you can.  But I'd guess he probably built his for a lot less too and he's just trying to turn a big profit.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2015, 07:00:52 AM »
You can buy a real one for that. :rolleyes:

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2015, 07:50:25 AM »
This was a one off build and I'm certain that he posted lots of info on it in progress either here or at the old Pit.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2015, 02:21:57 PM »
I agree.  A real one can be had for that kind of money, and, if you can find one, a Greco T-bird would be very similar to that bass, for about a quarter of the price.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2015, 07:18:04 AM »
 In for a penny in for a pound capitol is all lined up and popping for the CNC fees today.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 09:03:32 AM »
  Agree and renege are a little strong. The House of Guitars wanted to do a limited run. At first Gibson was on board then Gibson sort of took the ball and ran with it and produced what was released in 2013. Hey it's their ball I suppose.  :rolleyes:

Yeah, we gave it the old "college try."  We met with the Gibson rep, at the time.  Told her everything we'd like to see, she took pics as I recall, even discussed fine points like the bridge, etc.  Like Scott said they went their own way and didn't do a HOG reissue.  Too bad, it could have been really cool.  Kinda ripped off a great idea and executed it poorly IMHO.

As for whining, what the hell do we have a forum for if not to whine and kick Gibson around ad nauseum?  Geez, what a buzz kill!  Seriously, if we didn't love Gibsons so much, we wouldn't give a flying F what they made or how sloppily they made it.  That's the curse and the burden we bear.  Could be worse I suppose.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2015, 12:42:01 PM »
  I will be providing pictures, specs and data over the next few days. I may be calling on you guys for some finer points. They seem to think they can get everything they need from that but I'm skeptical.  If I have to I'll ship them a NR. Anyone got a carcase they want to sell?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 07:51:35 AM by godofthunder »

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2015, 05:57:57 PM »
Yeah, we gave it the old "college try."  We met with the Gibson rep, at the time.  Told her everything we'd like to see, she took pics as I recall, even discussed fine points like the bridge, etc.  Like Scott said they went their own way and didn't do a HOG reissue.  Too bad, it could have been really cool.  Kinda ripped off a great idea and executed it poorly IMHO.

As for whining, what the hell do we have a forum for if not to whine and kick Gibson around ad nauseum?  Geez, what a buzz kill!  Seriously, if we didn't love Gibsons so much, we wouldn't give a flying F what they made or how sloppily they made it.  That's the curse and the burden we bear.  Could be worse I suppose.

Bill, is that the "Cataldo prototype" that you are holding in the picture?  :mrgreen:
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2015, 07:38:33 PM »
Bill, is that the "Cataldo prototype" that you are holding in the picture?  :mrgreen:

No.  That's my original 60's NR that I rehabed.  It's a real NR but the head was broken off when I bought the carcass off eBay.  My avatar is a pic of the abused body before I stripped it.  It's a great bass.

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2015, 08:48:41 PM »
Currently on the NYC CL...
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/4892785118.html

Whoa I could walk there from here!  Hmmmm. I do not have $4k lying around though ;p
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy