Author Topic: Reproduction NR Thunderbirds  (Read 10217 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Reproduction NR Thunderbirds
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 12:16:03 PM »
Nostalgic obsessions ...  :popcorn:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 04:40:57 PM »
IMO.....Gibson should contract out ALL of its "reissues" to smaller builders who guarantee to spec it out  EXACTLY like the originals, rather than consistently do bogus reissues.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 05:03:27 PM »
I'm curious and encouraging!

Just think: In 30 years someone will do a reissue of the Firebird X.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 05:13:49 PM »
Today's mistakes are tomorrow's glories.

I venture the heretic thought that it won't sound much different to what Gibson released a while back and that it still will not be a vintage TBird, but - in a tender, empathetic voice - if it makes you guys feel so much better ...

Thankfully, the bolt-on idea has been scrapped, that would have been adding insult to injury.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 05:18:56 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 05:20:08 PM »
I'm curious and encouraging!

Just think: In 30 years someone will do a reissue of the Firebird X.

There will likely still be N.O.S. at Gibson  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 05:31:53 PM »
The most recent NR Thunderbird is not a reissue in the same way the current Thunderbird is not a reissue, or have I over simplified things?
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 06:30:19 PM »
Simplified but true. But there are some folks who would like to see a vintage spec Thunderbird. I'll buy one of Scott's birds if I can afford it.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 06:33:39 PM »

I'm quietly hoping for a Reverse metamorph .......  ;)                                           
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 01:39:09 AM »
Simplified but true. But there are some folks who would like to see a vintage spec Thunderbird. I'll buy one of Scott's birds if I can afford it.

So if it's true, then why are people griping about Gibson's failed reissue when it wasn't a reissue in the proper sense of the word and was never intended to be, nay neither billed as such? Don't like it, do something about it. Someone's doing something about it. Case closed? The whining about it is getting pretty old. There are plenty real Gibson problems to complain about without inventing spurious new ones because one's esoteric tastes weren't catered for to one's liking.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 07:11:21 AM »
I think I got pretty close with this.   2+2 headstock on it but could have used a 4 in line angled stock with TR adjustment at the nut.  The bridge adjusts in 3 dimensions, retains the flavor of the original tuneamatic and intonates properly.  Tailpiece is a compromise to keep the price under $1700.  ThunderBucker is Gibson 66 spec  Body is real Honduras mahogany.  GOT P/G of course.

No one's beating down my door to build another one similar to it but any requests will be passed on to Scott.  Looking forward to it!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:43:55 AM by dadagoboi »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 07:59:39 AM »
    There is a limited market for this bass, it may very well be saturated already. I am entering these waters because of my passion for the bass.................I hope to break even.  My creative process is a bit like Hammy the squirrel in the Movie Over the Hedge, I am distracted by everything. I think it was Jeffery Hoyt who said to me we know you will do it right, that almost immediately got me to focus on a accurate 60's spec bass. Cataldo does a beautiful bolt on (I LOVE mine) and a set neck as well, Mike Lull has entered NR waters. I'd like to serve a market I helped create ( I should have kept my mouth shut about NRs  ;) ) Dasson Bass has a nice ring to it. The first ones I am going to do are NR IIs because that's what I like. After that who knows?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:53:45 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 08:19:38 AM »
 Some more on Carlos offerings. My siggy NR has a six bolt neck joint, while playing it on stage I don't really notice a difference in feel from my real 60's Tbirds. As for sound with the Thunderbucker hot '66 it really sounds the part! My Catado is certainly a bass I can get what I need from stage or studio.  Be My Misery. My last session with JS one take. They mixed to much clean signal in but I think the Cataldo kicks ass! http://www.reverbnation.com/johnnysmokerocks/song/22010311-be-my-misery
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 08:38:31 AM »
Some more on Carlos offerings. My siggy NR has a six bolt neck joint, while playing it on stage I don't really notice a difference in feel from my real 60's Tbirds. As for sound with the Thunderbucker hot '66 it really sounds the part! My Catado is certainly a bass I can get what I need from stage or studio.  Be My Misery. My last session with JS one take. They mixed to much clean signal in but I think the Cataldo kicks ass! http://www.reverbnation.com/johnnysmokerocks/song/22010311-be-my-misery

Thanks for the compliments, Scott.  Have to confess I had no knowledge of NRs until I joined LBO.  Your enthusiasm was a major inspiration.  I know you'll do it right.  That track rocks!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 03:35:26 PM »
So if it's true, then why are people griping about Gibson's failed reissue when it wasn't a reissue in the proper sense of the word and was never intended to be, nay neither billed as such? Don't like it, do something about it. Someone's doing something about it. Case closed? The whining about it is getting pretty old. There are plenty real Gibson problems to complain about without inventing spurious new ones because one's esoteric tastes weren't catered for to one's liking.

Gibson didn't claim the recent NR was a faithful reissue, but was originally supposed to be. The whole thing started with Scott and Doc talking to the Gibson rep for House of Guitars in Rochester. IIRC he provided Gibson with all the necessary information to do it right, but they wouldn't do it. So I understand the frustration.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2015, 02:14:16 AM »
Hammy...?
Dasson Bass... not a Steve Bass...? ;)
Scott... no Red Bull for you...! (until needed to combat the De-Basser-Turbo)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...