Author Topic: Gibson Announces New Leadership Team  (Read 10768 times)

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
Re: Gibson Announces New Leadership Team
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 10:29:57 AM »
I do love my Levi's 527 jeans.  ;D

They're 26 better, right?  ;D
The future I come from no longer exists.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 01:09:12 AM »
I buy Levis 559 jeans used on Ebay for $20 or less.  Don't really care where they're made.

I'm a 516 guy all the way, but they stopped making them in 2004 or so. So it's ebay for me too :)
Strangely, they all are located in Germany. A weird collector, perhaps?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 12:07:28 PM »
I'm a 516 guy all the way, but they stopped making them in 2004 or so. So it's ebay for me too :)
Strangely, they all are located in Germany. A weird collector, perhaps?

We don't know any weird collectors is Germany, do we?  :vader:

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2018, 11:36:00 AM »
Too many basses? I didn't know that was possible!

If Levis are $50 then I can see buying $50 American-made jeans as an alternative. But I buy regular fit Wranglers, $17 at Target and Walmart. I wear each pair about once a week and they last a couple of years. No complaints.

The room that the basses are in is slated for demolition in the spring, but when the project is complete there will be more room.

My jeans are 36" length which can't be found everywhere.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2018, 07:17:42 PM »
Levi Strauss moved manufacturing overseas a couple of decades ago, long before Mr. Curleigh joined the company. You can't be a big player in the clothing industry otherwise.

Their old factory is less than 5 miles from my house.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2018, 04:12:56 PM »
Levis can't top this.  :mrgreen:

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2018, 11:17:40 PM »
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 10:07:04 AM »
I haven't actually read this yet, but should be some interesting tidbits - http://msretailer.com/gibson-ceo-curleigh-interview/

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 02:14:01 PM »
Good to hear he's listening. Hope he listens to some bass players too, at least ones like us.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 07:48:02 PM »
It sounds positive to me.

As the article says, he just took over on November 1st. Unfortunately there's no shortage of people of limited intelligence dumbasses who don't realize that instant change won't happen.

CME just announced a limited run of custom color SG Standards, at no extra cost, and the Gibson bashers are already at it in the comments on Reverb. Not that Gibson didn't deserve bashing for Henry's disastrous last few years, they did, but that's over now; now the new Gibson is being trashed for offering a limited run. No pleasing some people. And there are the usual complaints about the price, even though the competition is that expensive or more.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2019, 10:48:22 PM »
Those SGs look and sound pretty nice to me.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2019, 01:04:34 AM »

CME just announced a limited run of custom color SG Standards, at no extra cost, and the Gibson bashers are already at it in the comments on Reverb. Not that Gibson didn't deserve bashing for Henry's disastrous last few years, they did, but that's over now; now the new Gibson is being trashed for offering a limited run.

Haha, I wonder what they'd say if Gibson offered Les Paul Standard and Firebird in Sunburst along with SG and ES-335 in cherry only?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2019, 10:03:38 PM »
Haha, I wonder what they'd say if Gibson offered Les Paul Standard and Firebird in Sunburst along with SG and ES-335 in cherry only?

I think you know the answer to that.  :)  With all the LP variations there are now, you still see complaints about features somebody wants on one model or another.

I just looked at the 1960 catalog on Jules' site. Gibson solidbodies that year were LP Standard in one sunburst finish, LP Custom with and without Bigsby in ebony, Special in two finishes, Junior in cherry and TV, and Melody Maker in sunburst. Gibson should go back to that just to hear all the wailing and gnashing of teeth that would happen.

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2019, 02:12:31 PM »
It sounds positive to me.

As the article says, he just took over on November 1st. Unfortunately there's no shortage of people of limited intelligence dumbasses who don't realize that instant change won't happen.

CME just announced a limited run of custom color SG Standards, at no extra cost, and the Gibson bashers are already at it in the comments on Reverb. Not that Gibson didn't deserve bashing for Henry's disastrous last few years, they did, but that's over now; now the new Gibson is being trashed for offering a limited run. No pleasing some people. And there are the usual complaints about the price, even though the competition is that expensive or more.

Those SG Guitars are getting a bashing on a certain anti Gibson bass forum.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2019, 02:50:18 PM »
Those SG Guitars are getting a bashing on a certain anti Gibson bass forum.

ffs, what a bunch of idiots (with some sane comments thrown in).  :rolleyes:  Gibson has been doing solidbody colors almost as long as Fender has, and the SG guitars are no exception. Just off the top of my head, the late 60s SG Melody Makers, the early 00s Platinum SG, the more recent army green Government SG, the red and blue SG Deluxe of the late 90s, etc., not to mention the special run of SG Basses for the Japanese market maybe 6 to 8 years ago. There's an original finish gray SG Firebrand on my local Craigslist, that's another one.

This special run isn't copying Fender colors. And it's just a special run for one dealership. Fender has also done special colors for CME.