Author Topic: Pelham Blue '86 Thunderbird II  (Read 3016 times)

veebass

• View Profile
Re: Pelham Blue '86 Thunderbird II
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 03:27:32 PM »
Going on how very simple and quick Fender basses are to make I would say that Fenders are less value for money than a Thunderbird, or to rephrase that, I imagine Fender probably make more profit per bass than Gibson do with the Tbird

Higher labour costs and more desirable headstock stickers have to be a big factors.
See how low US Gibsons have been blown out.
The Epi VP is essentially made the same way as a Gibson TBird except the finish.
Can't fault my Epi, but I can usually find a fault somewhere in my US Gibsons.
Just saying.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 06:15:43 PM »
I sincerely doubt that Fender makes more profit per unit than Gibson.

Value is in the eyes of the buyer, of course, but I can buy a new neck through Rickenbacker for less than a TBird, and it's far less likely to have workmanship problems.

Christine

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 12:28:47 AM »
From Thomman in Germany a US made Fender Jazz AM pro in GB Sterling is £1362.67, a 2018 Thunderbird is £1757.41, less that £400 difference. Given the ease of manufacture of the Fender against the Gibson I would be very surprised if Gibson make more profit. Their quality control issues are another issue and there is no excuse for those although I have never actually seen any.

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 04:29:37 AM »
Irrespective of Thomann's pricing, it still astounds me that mass (cough) production instruments sell new for so much.  Give it a year, these very same models will be available used for half this or less.
The future I come from no longer exists.

Christine

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 06:45:27 AM »
Irrespective of Thomann's pricing, it still astounds me that mass (cough) production instruments sell new for so much.  Give it a year, these very same models will be available used for half this or less.

That I agree with  :)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 06:56:56 AM »
Somebody has to buy new basses so the rest of us can buy from them 😀 .... But not me.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 09:25:43 AM »
From Thomman in Germany a US made Fender Jazz AM pro in GB Sterling is £1362.67, a 2018 Thunderbird is £1757.41, less that £400 difference. Given the ease of manufacture of the Fender against the Gibson I would be very surprised if Gibson make more profit. Their quality control issues are another issue and there is no excuse for those although I have never actually seen any.

Less than £400 difference is still a lot. The TBird is 29% more expensive, and that's a European distributor's price. Here, MAP is $2199 for the TBird vs. $1549 for the Jazz, which makes the TBird 42% more expensive.

Rickenbacker doesn't have MAP pricing, but MSRP is $1949 for a 4003S (unbound, dot inlays, like the TBird) and just about any dealer will give you at least 15% off that. 20-25% is more common. Even at 15% off, the TBird is 33% more expensive than a neck-through 4003S.

Plus, Fender and Rickenbacker are in California, where labor, insurance, utilities, and environmental costs are a good bit higher than in Tennessee, or in Montana where Gibson acoustics are made.

Maybe where you are, but not here. One-third off would be about right. Except at forum marketplaces like Gearpage or Talkbass, where some members think they can sell their year-old guitars or basses for 90% of what they paid.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2018, 08:19:00 PM »
Saw this on Facebook 

Pretty cool! Only ten made?! Wow...

Beautiful!!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2018, 01:31:00 PM »

Which group is this in?  I can't see it.

It's in Gibson Bass Guitars - Vintage and Modern. Posted June 21 by Frank Stapleton.