Author Topic: Gibson and Slap Bass  (Read 7224 times)

bassballs

• View Profile
    • bassballs
Re: Gibson and Slap Bass
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 08:38:26 AM »
Hi!

Thank you for all your input about Gibson and slap bass, not that I plan to start a new career  8) as a slap bass player again, but after I have fallen in love with Gibson basses I was just very curious about it's ability to play this genre, because I have never seen any serious funk player use a gibson (apart from the guy on the EB-2 from Finland :mrgreen:)
Best "modern" Gibson sound I have heard is Ralph Armstrong playing on Enigmatic Ocean and Live with Jean-Luc Ponty. If you have not heard them give them a listen, I think he uses a G3.

Gibson EB 2 - Gibson SG Standard Bass - Tobias Growler - Musicman Cutlass 1

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 08:44:51 AM »
My Gibson Money bass was a nice slapper when I had it,  I really dug the sound and feel.  She's gone though.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 11:18:39 AM »

What about a Bass IV?
TB plus pups and a conventional shape (for those of you that "need" that)  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 09:03:36 PM »
I'm gonna be a stuck record about Meshell Ndegeocello.  That is some serious funk.

Here's another one... fast-forward to 3:00 where she gets off the keyboards and on the (Gibson) bass.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 07:19:54 AM »
Shame that she had such a bad experience with Gibson that she wasn't an endorser for long.

gibran

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 12:39:18 AM »
I'm gonna be a stuck record about Meshell Ndegeocello.  That is some serious funk.

Here's another one... fast-forward to 3:00 where she gets off the keyboards and on the (Gibson) bass.

Good riff but no presence on slap. To 5:40 you can see the real slapper, a Fender Jazz Bass.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 09:23:53 AM »
Shame that she had such a bad experience with Gibson that she wasn't an endorser for long.

Did she have a bad experience? I wasn't aware of that. I thought she just moved on in her quest for another sound, more recently she played JBs. All her albums and sounds are vastly different, the newest one for instance is decidedly unfunky and very introvert. I like whatever she does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1kVuvIfc0&feature=related

I have her LP De Luxe Bass that she had customized by Gibson for a more JBish sound, i.e. turned passive and with single coils.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 09:37:11 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 12:07:39 PM »
Did she have a bad experience? I wasn't aware of that. I thought she just moved on in her quest for another sound, more recently she played JBs. All her albums and sounds are vastly different, the newest one for instance is decidedly unfunky and very introvert. I like whatever she does.

She made some comments in an article I saw somewhere two or three years ago. She wasn't real specific, I just gathered that she wasn't happy with the bass and that Gibson didn't really do anything to promote her.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 12:33:23 PM »
I guess the changes she asked for evidenced that Barts with a TCT active circuit were not her dream combination! Herr bass actually sounds nice but nothing like an LBP-2.

She's a good little doughnut bumper, I like her earnestness.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2012, 02:55:18 PM »
I know I'm jumping in late on this, but if you're talking slap bass you have to mention Louis Johnson. He thumped on a Ripper at one point in his career. If you haven't heard of this dude you owe it to yourself to check out the brothers Johnson. He also recorded on an obscure album called thriller by some guy Mike Jackson.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2012, 08:20:27 PM »
Come to think of it, I knew a guy in college who slapped on a fretless Ripper.
 google google google... aha.  Everything is on the interwebs somewhere:
http://www.bard.edu/bardmakesnoise/suedewicked.php
... hmm sounded a lot better to me at the time.  ;D
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy