Author Topic: I need to vent  (Read 2501 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
I need to vent
« on: October 10, 2013, 05:38:18 AM »
I'm my own worst enemy sometimes - probably due to the fact that I have an inherent trust that mankind will do the right thing, without repeated prodding. Mankind really likes to push my buttons from time-to-time. Case in point: I put my '81 Sunburst/Rosewood T-40 up for sale and a guy responded via the Peavey Bass page that he really wanted it, but would be short the funds until the end of the month (this was July).  I really wanted to sell it locally, but I don't mind shipping to a fellow US-Peavey fan, and he seemed like he really wanted it. 

I told him that he can try it out and if he liked it, he can pay me in installments or in one lump at the end of next month (August) - just to make it a bit easier on him financially. I packed it up in its case, shipped it to him the next day.  He gets it, posts a few pictures with statements about how great it is and gigs with it that weekend.  Comes back to say that it's what he's been missing, he loves it and that it's a keeper.

At that point, he knows he has the bass and that he hasn't paid for it - there should be no reason for me to send reminders, so I don't.

Fast forward 2 months to this week - still no email or messages about payment.  I send him an email asking him if he'd like to pay for it now and he responds that he can't keep it and he'll send it back next week.  This bugs the shite right outta me.

These kind of things won't change the way I function, but I will never understand why some people feel the need to be selfish 'holes.  I mean, it's only $450, but the point is that when someone goes out of their way for a complete stranger, there should be a mutual trust bond created.

OK, I'm done - I usually type out this kind of stuff and then erase it - it usually makes me feel better.  Sorry for using your forum to vent.

Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: I need to vent
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:38:27 AM »
Vent away.  It really is a struggle to have faith in mankind, only to have it chipped away regularly.  The good news, what little there is, is the fact that the guy loved it, "may" be remorseful, and is apparently honest enough to return it.

The proof will be if it's returned to you (at all) and that it's in the same shape as you sent it to him.  That said, it certainly seems like he got himself a free two month trial on the bass.  I would guess he does this to others, too.  He sounds, from what little you've posted, like the kind of person that is a taker, and thinks nothing of inconveniencing people, under the guise that he really isn't doing anything wrong.  It's not like he's stealing it.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 08:16:03 AM »
That stinks. What an ass. Hope it comes home OK. People are stupid. So stupid sometimes that they can't even grasp the concepts of remorse or doing the right thing.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 09:13:07 AM »
Yeah, it's no harm, no foul - just disappointment in the lack of effort to let me know what his intentions were.
I could have sold it by now locally because I had other folks show an interest.

I'm not the least bit worried that I won't get it back - I shipped it, so I know where he lives.

I'm also not the least bit jaded - this is really, really small potatoes compared to what a lot of folks are putting up with right now.

Onward.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 09:56:55 AM »
Keep the bass, forget about the idiot.  :-\
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 10:02:42 AM »
Hoping it shows up all intact.   It is a shame that there are such a holes out there.  You go out of your way to help him out and that's what you get.    I never realized how many shitty people  are out there till i starting buying/selling on auction sites.  Most of your life you deal with one;s circle of friend's and family and find it hard to think there are such lousy folks out there  but ebay etc opens you up to the shitty side of the population....

Good luck
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 10:26:07 AM »
No good deed goes unpunished. I once held a bass for almost a year for a guy in the UK, he hit the BIN on ebay then said he needed "a little time to scrap up the cash". I put it back up on ebay and he threw a fit LOL. He tried to get ebay to spank me but they said to much time had past. I still shake my head over that one.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 10:45:08 AM »
I hope you get the bass back.  Once the bass comes home, don't let it go until you have cash in hand.

You obviously have a good and trusting heart.  However, that's not a good tool for business.  I would NOT have shipped that bass out without cash in hand.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 11:26:33 AM »
Yeah, I'll bet he's done it before. Not necessarily with a bass, but with other things in his life. At least he says he'll send it back.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 04:21:26 PM »
Sorry to hear you got burned by being one of the good guys.  You have a good attitude about it, and money in the "karma bank"

fur85

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 05:04:01 AM »
Yeah, I'll bet he's done it before. Not necessarily with a bass, but with other things in his life. At least he says he'll send it back.

Yep, doubt it's a one time thing. I would also guess he has trouble with money and relationships. Your decision to move on is wise. "Holding a grudge is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die".

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 12:37:50 PM »
Well, I finally got it back today.  He sent me a UPS tracking # and said that he had it shipped to the UPS Store.
I go to pick it up, and it cost me another $10 for Store pickup - unbelievable. 
I'm paying a fee to pickup my own bass that I paid to ship it to a guy who never paid for it.

I was kinda shaking my head and chuckling about it until I opened the case and....ding, ding ding!
This guy must've played this T-40 at Bob's Country Bunker.  Nice little gouge right on the top side by the pickguard.

I may have finally learned a lesson: You must expect this from time to time.
It's only a bass, and everyone here is healthy.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 01:35:21 PM »
Rule of thumb - "No tickee, no shirtee."
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 02:02:33 PM »
Rule of thumb - "No tickee, no shirtee."

Yup - I needed a new thumb because my previous one was obviously broken.
I think I have it straight now. 

Ironically enough, I had another buyer all set for it, and I got this little surprise in the mail.
Well, I have to reduce it a few more $ - this thing is costing me a fortune to sell!!!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 03:32:22 PM »
Yup - I needed a new thumb because my previous one was obviously broken.
I think I have it straight now. 

Ironically enough, I had another buyer all set for it, and I got this little surprise in the mail.
Well, I have to reduce it a few more $ - this thing is costing me a fortune to sell!!!

If you try to sell it enough times, you'll have to keep it to avoid going in the hole!   :P
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."