Author Topic: Tom Petersson Gretsch  (Read 7222 times)

66Atlas

• View Profile
Tom Petersson Gretsch
« on: August 24, 2016, 04:16:15 PM »
Sorry if this has already been posted but I just came across this. 

http://www.gretschguitars.com/blog/artists-blogs/gretsch-announces-the-tom-petersson-signature-basses/

I had been hoping that they would officially make one available.  Of course, I will probably need to sell a kidney to afford one. :-\

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Tom Petersson Gretsch
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 04:35:56 PM »
I'm safe.  I like Gretsch but have no interest in more than 4 strings.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 05:00:40 PM »
Of course, I will probably need to sell a kidney to afford one. :-\

Thought I saw reference somewhere that pricing on those would land in the $10-16K range(!).  If so, that pretty much guarantees it'll be a rarity right out of the gate. 

Should've called it the 'White Whale'  :o

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 05:15:09 PM »
Shhheeesh! in that case I'll need to sell 4 kidneys.  Anyone have one I can "borrow"?  :o

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 06:24:58 PM »
    The pickups are mudbucker in disguise, I supplied examples to Andy Babuick who consulted on the project.  We had a extensive discussion about mudbucker and the baritone switch.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 09:17:42 PM »
I'm safe.  I like Gretsch but have no interest in more than 4 strings.

You didn't read far enough, they'll be offering a 4 string version. It won't be a custom shop version..

The pickups are mudbucker in disguise, I supplied examples to Andy Babuick who consulted on the project.  We had a extensive discussion about mudbucker and the baritone switch.

The story says they're custom Seymour Duncan SuperTrons. I saw an earlier article around the time of the Summer NAMM show that had a direct front view. They look like the TV Jones SuperTron, a twin blade design. Granted, you can't tell what's underneath, could be a sidewinder design, but I can't see how anything that small could be a mudbucker.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 12:08:29 AM »
I can't see how anything that small could be a mudbucker.

Pretty small! I might have posted this before, but two years ago I wanted to see if I could make a mini mudbucker for the bridge position on my EB3. At the time, small enough Alnico bars was not readily available over here, so I bought two cheap mini humbuckers with Alnico magnets and a firebird cover with no holes. I had to use super thin plastic for the top/bottom of the bobbin to make room for enough wire to get it in mud area. It ended up 27K ohm, and is louder than a normal mud - but a lot brighter. It took forever to build, but sounds fantastic!

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 12:14:27 AM by amptech »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 05:42:29 AM »
    Hmmmmmm I never saw the finished product, just gave Andy the pickups maybe they went in a different direction. Come to think of it Andy's White Falcon has a big mudbucker like unit. I'll see if I can dig up a picture.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 06:53:16 AM »
It took forever to build, but sounds fantastic!

That's slick!  8)  The bridge pickup in my EB-3 is like "treble garnish" to the mudbucker... but on its own, pretty useless.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 07:44:31 AM »
Now that would be a fun mod to stick into a Les Paul bass humbucker sized pickup.  I like the TB+ fine but it would be cool to pair one with a little mudbucker like that I bet.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 10:29:57 AM »
Very cool! A mini mudbucker  :toast:

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 10:40:10 AM »
Let's not get our terms confused here. The mudbucker is so called because of its tone, not its sidewinder construction. A sidewinder can be much smaller than a Gibson mudbucker. The Ripper pickups are sidewinders and they aren't muddy or large. The Bicentennial Firebird pickups were Bill Lawrence-designed sidewinders and Bill also sold a sidewinder for steel guitars for years. Neither of them were muddy.

Here's a neat compact sidewinder design.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:47:41 AM by Dave W »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 10:45:17 AM »
    Hmmmmmm I never saw the finished product, just gave Andy the pickups maybe they went in a different direction. Come to think of it Andy's White Falcon has a big mudbucker like unit. I'll see if I can dig up a picture.

Here's the earlier article with the clearer view of the pickups.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 10:48:47 AM »
You didn't read far enough, they'll be offering a 4 string version. It won't be a custom shop version..

The story says they're custom Seymour Duncan SuperTrons. I saw an earlier article around the time of the Summer NAMM show that had a direct front view. They look like the TV Jones SuperTron, a twin blade design. Granted, you can't tell what's underneath, could be a sidewinder design, but I can't see how anything that small could be a mudbucker.

Dangit!  Back in jeopardy...nah. Between the Coug bass and my ThunderJet, I'm covered.

I do love the 50's names Gretsch gives their pickups...as Dave noted...

Middle pickup (Seymour Duncan® Super’Tron).
Neck pickup all-new Rumble’Tron.

Ya gotta love those names. They'd fit right in with Oldsmobile's Hydra-Matic transmission, Chevy's Powerglide, Buick's Air Poise suspension, Lincoln's Invincible 8 engine, and Chrysler's Hydraguide power steering and Firepower V-8.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 10:17:24 AM »
   Just checked Andy's fb page his White Falcon bass has a very mudbucker looking pickup in it. I'll ask him about it next chance I get.