Author Topic: My Gretsch  (Read 3451 times)

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
Re: My Gretsch
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 08:24:20 AM »
So now you have a vol. for each pup, and a master tone? Does the switch then allow neck/both/bridge independantly from the volumes?  ??? How does it sound to you now?

Yup ! I wired PUPs > Volume pots > Toggle > Tone

Without the 2nd volume option she sounded as aggressive as a Precision with lots of mids. Real cool in my book and excellent for playing hi-energy rock but not very versitile.
Now that I can blend the two PUPs I can also make her sound a lot mellower. Overall she gives a real dry tone, which probably has to do with her multiplex body, that really cuts through the band-mix. So much that you can play her at a relatively low volume, which is a positive thing in my experience because when I crank up the volume the drummer will hit harder so I'll have to turn it up even further ...... etc etc etc.  :mrgreen:  On the down side I'd say that you can hear she's a cheapo instrument, the sound is not really 3D. More like 2D ........  ;) I used both the JJ and the SG Bass on the same rehearsal and you could easily tell the SG is in another class
Experience is the ultimate teacher