Author Topic: EB-6 in great condition  (Read 3746 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Re: EB-6 in great condition
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 11:35:16 PM »
So wait a minute, if I put a PAF on an EB2 it's going to sound like this? Because I really liked Phil's clean tone (not the bass cut position though) and it sounded nothing like my old too-muddy-to-keep EB2C. If I still had it I'd try to hide a PAF under the big Sidewinder cover.

Go for it! I can only speak for my two EB-6 (converted EB-0's) solidbodies, but a PAF (or any kind of typical Gibby guitar humbucker)
in my ears is perfect for bass.  I made one pickup PAF and the other with tall bobbins and slug side with blade polepiece (both for neck position) but both sounds pretty much the same. No difference when bending (blade vs. normal).

My opinion is that both the EB-2 and EB-3 (and EB-0 for that matter) would have benefitted from having guitar pickups.
I made P-90's and even the alnico (les paul custom) pickup in bass version, all great sounding and looks good. There is no lack of bottom of course, you just lose those woofy subs and that is a good thing in many situations. I love the mud, but for my part
I need a special 'setup' each time I use my mud solo'd.

Of course, a mud and the small humbucker gave it the looks and made them not so alike the guitars..

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 08:02:04 AM »
I don't see a problem here. Rickenbacker toasters are the same part for guitar and bass - with 6 magnet slugs. Fender Musicmaster pickups - same part for bass and guitar, 6 pole pieces under the blank cover. Both work great (the Ric toaster is even better than the 4-pole button-top pickup, that has a noticeable volume drop when you bend a string). Vintage 1960 Hofner toasters - same thing. 80's Carvin is another example.

It's true in those cases, and from what amptech says, it will work with a Gibson guitar humbucker. That doesn't mean it will work in all cases. Depends on the magnetic field of the pickup, and that depends on the particular  design.

IIRC Chris P. said  that one of the recent Gibson basses with a guitar sized HB was actually a guitar pickup.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 08:44:38 AM »
And why not wire the switch to coil split and get two usable sounds, assuming no one uses the bass-cut.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 07:17:38 PM »
The baritone is a useful option (heresy, I know - especially coming from me, a devoted Mud Monk) - that sort of mod is what push pull switches on the back of pots are for.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 06:23:23 AM »
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 07:32:41 AM »
Non original baritone switch (an improvement really)  but otherwise in great shape.  Still out of reach for most of us, but that is almost a reasonable price.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 09:10:49 AM »
Glad I'm past my Bass VI days (had a Fender and a 1960 Dano), otherwise I'd be itching right now. Back in the day I really wanted to find a Gibson, either an SG or 335 shape.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 01:45:10 AM »
Dano lipsticks are the same for guitar and bass too. Musicmaster of course. And yes. A Gibson designer told me the 335 Bass had normal humbuckers. It sounded good so they used it.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 06:47:28 AM »
Both pickups on the Les Paul Signature guitar & the one pickup on the Les Paul Signature Bass are the same exact pickup. The ES Les Paul & the Les Paul Standard Oversized Bass both have guitar humbucker sized pickups.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 08:55:47 AM »
Dano pickups and other bar or blade pickups will be fine as longas they are wide enough to cover all strings but that's beside the point. The question is whether a 6 pole pickup will do for a 4 string bass. The answer is, sometimes.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2018, 05:15:39 PM »
I found this 50's Gibson EM-150 for my brother-in-law about 15 years ago at a good price. Someone had replaced the original four pole P-90 with a period correct six pole. Although it always bugged me that it wasn't a four pole, I don't think it effected the sound at all................

There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 08:18:04 AM »

I am amazed at Dave's patience here.  Seriously guys, you'd all flunk the LSAT.