Gear Discussion Forums > Other Bass Brands

Not a Gibson - but interesting...

<< < (2/2)

Dave W:
That's the same one that was originally at the Stagg link in the first post. It's still on their site, under their Rock Series.

I would be concerned about the mismatch between the polepieces and the string spacing. That would be a problem with a real mudbucker, maybe not with this one, all depends on what's under that cover and how it's made.

uwe:
A real mudbucker in bridge position curiously doesn't transmit much tone at all. What it needs, it can't get in that position, and what it gets, it can't process.

Freuds_Cat:
Billy that Stag look a lot like the Korean Dean Edge 4 I picked up recently with the exception that the Dean has Soapbars. To be honest its the cheapest non SX bass that I've ever bought and I actually play it a lot. It has fantastic balance, is light and the neck is a shape that not only do I find very comfortable but quite different to any other that I've tried.

ilan:
I played one today. A long-scale model. It needs some work (better fret dressing etc.), but it's a nice bass and it makes a sound I can use.

It's heavy - probably 9+ lbs. - but the upside is less neck-dive than you'd expect. Actually it was quite comfortable to play with a wide strap.

The sound was surprisingly nice. fatter than a bridge-position J but not muddy, and still punchy enough without being clanky. A very usable sound if you're into sweetspot-type tone.

The pickup looks like a cheap unit, the polepieces don't line under the strings, and it's not grounded very well, there is an audible pop when a finger touches the metal cover.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version