Author Topic: New Doublecut Junior Tribute Bass update  (Read 26251 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: New Doublecut Junior Tribute Bass update
« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2019, 10:42:15 PM »
It's still on order at my local independent. GC has nothing.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2019, 03:35:59 PM »
   I  tried one of these out today and I was smitten. I've always loved the original EB0 body shape so this bass had my attention. The body is two pieces of nicely selected mahogany, fit and finish were quite good  and the frets were nicely dressed.  The TB plus pickup while not my favorite suits this bass and the location is perfect.  Those who are used to full scale 7enders, Thunderbirds etc will find this bass small,  no doubt about it but those who have played any of Gibson's EB or SG basses will feel right at home.
   The only reason I didn't bring it home is I have other basses in my sights, I'll definitely pick one up at some point. The bass gets a big thumbs up from me.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 03:50:47 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2019, 05:58:17 PM »
   I  tried one of these out today and I was smitten. I've always loved the original EB0 body shape so this bass had my attention. The body is two pieces of nicely selected mahogany, fit and finish were quite good  and the frets were nicely dressed.  The TB plus pickup while not my favorite suits this bass and the location is perfect.  Those who are used to full scale 7enders, Thunderbirds etc will find this bass small,  no doubt about it but those who have played any of Gibson's EB or SG basses will feel right at home.
   The only reason I didn't bring it home is I have other basses in my sights, I'll definitely pick one up at some point. The bass gets a big thumbs up from me.

That's good to hear, Scott.

You must have missed the YT review where the pickup was uncovered. it's not a TB Plus. It's a neck pickup from the EB Bass, mounted with the polepieces extending out the bottom.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2019, 06:06:41 PM »
This new video from Reverb about short scale basses features a few seconds of a 70s EB-0 starting at 3:52 and the new DC Junior Tribute at the 7:37 mark.

Pet peeve: this guy says Lez Paul. I recently realized that a lot of Brits say it that way. It's pronounced "less" since it's short for Lester.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2019, 07:13:29 PM »
That's good to hear, Scott.

You must have missed the YT review where the pickup was uncovered. it's not a TB Plus. It's a neck pickup from the EB Bass, mounted with the polepieces extending out the bottom.
   I had missed that about the pickup! Good to know.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 03:25:00 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2019, 11:04:39 PM »
This new video from Reverb about short scale basses features a few seconds of a 70s EB-0 starting at 3:52 and the new DC Junior Tribute at the 7:37 mark.

Pet peeve: this guy says Lez Paul. I recently realized that a lot of Brits say it that way. It's pronounced "less" since it's short for Lester.

I saw that myself early this morning.  Being interested in short scales, it was just up my alley.  I was a little puzzled by putting the no-name Tele-style bass in there, though.  Even if you wanted that, I think it might be kind of hard to find.   
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2019, 12:42:38 PM »
Not that I've ever used a fiver but that Serek's B-string held up pretty good for a shortscale, or is that just in my headphones? Regarding the Noname I guess he just wanted to make awareness of the goofier shortscales of old in general.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 09, 2019, 11:13:21 PM »
Regarding the Noname I guess he just wanted to make awareness of the goofier shortscales of old in general.

That's what I thought too. Many good MIJ shorties around at great prices, get them now before they market them as pre-lawsuit and charge you extra ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 09, 2019, 11:37:01 PM »
That's what I thought too. Many good MIJ shorties around at great prices, get them now before they market them as pre-lawsuit and charge you extra ;D

"Lawsuit" has to be one of the most ridiculous claims in the world of guitars. Gibson vs. Elger (Ibanez) was filed but was settled out of court, and it was all about the Ibanez headstock design that looked like a Gibson. Nothing to do with body shapes, nothing to do with copies of any other brand. People still fall for the hype.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2019, 05:08:51 AM »
"Lawsuit" has to be one of the most ridiculous claims in the world of guitars. Gibson vs. Elger (Ibanez) was filed but was settled out of court, and it was all about the Ibanez headstock design that looked like a Gibson. Nothing to do with body shapes, nothing to do with copies of any other brand. People still fall for the hype.

Try saying that to the people waiting for their Tokai TST50's to increase in value.

Like Ozzy put it; The truth is out, the lies are old, but you don't want to know :)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #145 on: August 22, 2019, 04:47:59 AM »
I played two of them in the Netherlands, yesterday. Fresh in at the Gibson HQ. I like them very much. Of course I'll come back on it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 22, 2019, 06:33:27 AM »
Gotta get my hands on one.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 22, 2019, 08:21:32 AM »
They are starting to pop up used here in the U.S. and the average price at big box stores (Sam Ash/GC) seems to be $699...quite tempting.
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #148 on: August 22, 2019, 02:54:16 PM »
Replace the pickup cover, and it's nearly unbeatable.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 03:49:09 PM by BeeTL »

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 22, 2019, 04:01:31 PM »
Replace the pickup cover, and it's nearly unbeatable.
I wish it were easier to do that with the TB+ pickups.