Author Topic: Gibson at NAMM 2019  (Read 12326 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson at NAMM 2019
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2019, 05:06:23 PM »
CNC vs hand labor has nothing to do with the poor design of that pickguard.   Looks like they ran out of material at the jack, and that's the least of it.  Yes, it's subjective. As Robert Forster says in 'What They Had': "I'm 75, F@ck the Camry."

The marketplace will decide whether or not it's a poor design. When the guitar version came out last fall, I saw quite a few negative comments about the pickguard design. But from what I've heard, they've been selling like hotcakes, so it seems the people who don't like it are outnumbered. I expect the same thing will happen with the bass.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2019, 07:24:37 PM »
I dont think you can rule out that some of the complainers werent buyers. That pricepoint is hard to resist even if you dont like the guard. The only more affordable option of decent quality is the newish Hamer model ( closer in look to a vintage one though they try to be subtle about the extra cutaway depth), but i bet people are will to pay 1 to 200 more just for the name on the headstock to be ‘Gibson.’ 

If thats one big ole route under there ( theres precident for that woth Gibsons budget models like my Sonex) then it also makes a sweet mod platform that requires no further routing ( and therefore ability return to stock and hold value for resale if it comes to it).

Its an ugly guard , Dave, you know its true, but its ok to get a gross out boner every now and then, and you cant tell me thats not what at least half of the sales volume is ( also speculators, after the Bonamassa sig firebird they came out of the woodwork and think theyre players now). 

The other half are are younger people giddy at the thought thay can afford a real Gibson.

Sales volume , like chart success, are no indicator of a quality product.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2019, 10:46:02 PM »
Hamer? The company doesn't exist any more, it's just a name that was sold off, and unless something just changed, they're all made in Korea or China. Last time I looked, they only had a guitar line with about 5 models, no basses.

Yes, I would rather have a DC Junior Bass that looked like the 59/60 EB-0. But it's not going to happen at that price point, and the guard on this one doesn't bother me.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2019, 10:55:51 PM »

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2019, 03:14:48 AM »
So Chicago Music Exchange takes the credit for this model happening? That might actually be true considering the new Gibson management claiming they'd had a listen to what ideas for new models are out there:

"We did a listening tour visiting with dealers, artists and guitar enthusiasts and took the best ideas into the new Modern offerings"

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2019, 06:27:06 PM »
Hamer? The company doesn't exist any more, it's just a name that was sold off, and unless something just changed, they're all made in Korea or China. Last time I looked, they only had a guitar line with about 5 models, no basses

Yes, well i did say not quite as good quality didnt I. Have been poking about and apparently up until a few years ago Greco was making one. I had no idea that brand was at all still active  or if the quality is still any good. Most of what they got now in the linup is in the fender and pointier spectrum ( including a few bass models).

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2019, 08:56:11 PM »
Yes, well i did say not quite as good quality didnt I. Have been poking about and apparently up until a few years ago Greco was making one. I had no idea that brand was at all still active  or if the quality is still any good. Most of what they got now in the linup is in the fender and pointier spectrum ( including a few bass models).

Are you talking about Hamer or Greco? I don't see any basses on Hamer's website.

Fender got Hamer when they bought KMC Music in 2007. KMC Music had been a drain on Kaman Corp. for years and Fender wanted C. Bruno, the big wholesale distributor, at the time.  Brands like Hamer were part of KMC but not the reason Fender bought KMC, and they eventually shut down production. Then Fender sold KMC Music to JAM Industries of Montreal, who own the Hamer name now.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2019, 09:00:46 PM »
So Chicago Music Exchange takes the credit for this model happening? That might actually be true considering the new Gibson management claiming they'd had a listen to what ideas for new models are out there:

"We did a listening tour visiting with dealers, artists and guitar enthusiasts and took the best ideas into the new Modern offerings"

Apparently so. CME has moved a ton of Gibsons for years, plus they bought all that excess stock in the two years before the bankruptcy filing, the stuff they sold way below retail as "floor models." I'm n ot surprised that Gibson management would listen to them.

I don't see that post on Instagram any more but here's the latest as of now, with a little closer look.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2019, 09:07:58 PM »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2019, 10:22:34 PM »
I'm assuming the case isn't included, although that would be nice if it was. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 10:44:39 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2019, 11:02:54 PM »
I'm assuming the case isn't included, although that would be nice if it was.

I believe it will come with a gig bag like the guitar version does.

More from Guitar World. I'm impressed with what they're already doing. In Part 4, the Chief Merchant Officer (never heard of that position before) says there will be no more model years, they're not selling cars.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2019, 07:08:02 AM »
Are you talking about Hamer or Greco? I don't see any basses on Hamer's website.

Fender got Hamer when they bought KMC Music in 2007. KMC Music had been a drain on Kaman Corp. for years and Fender wanted C. Bruno, the big wholesale distributor, at the time.  Brands like Hamer were part of KMC but not the reason Fender bought KMC, and they eventually shut down production. Then Fender sold KMC Music to JAM Industries of Montreal, who own the Hamer name now.

Greco re basses.  Both re 6 banger DC Jr.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2019, 06:44:00 PM »
I don't see that post on Instagram any more but here's the latest as of now, with a little closer look.

This finish looks terrible.  What do they call that - Rhino bed liner?   ???

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2019, 09:29:21 PM »

This finish looks terrible.  What do they call that - Rhino bed liner?   ???

That's just the spotlight and angle. It's the same finish Gibson has been using on the Tribute guitars for some years now. For example, look at the DC Junior Tribute guitars at Sweetwater.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2019, 03:42:38 AM »
With this lighting it looks like a dog hair finish. I actually like that. Maybe I'll try that too one day.