Author Topic: Gibson at NAMM 2019  (Read 12329 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Gibson at NAMM 2019
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2019, 08:03:49 AM »
By the way; the shape of the pickguard is not exactly the same as the guitar companion.
It wouldn't make sense to photoshop the shape different from the guitar.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:00:05 AM by Basvarken »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2019, 10:22:21 AM »
One way or another, we'll know soon...I hope!

The website will catch up. For the minute, it's a mess. Day before yesterday, the Thunderbird was the only bass shown in the regular model pages. Yesterday and today, the EB4 and 5 are the only ones shown. Tomorrow?

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2019, 11:19:08 AM »
Think it's a pity Gibson ruined that beautiful bass with that ugly looking pickguard.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2019, 01:35:29 PM »
Think it's a pity Gibson ruined that beautiful bass with that ugly looking pickguard.

I like it. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2019, 02:16:55 PM »
At least the back of the body is very clean and uncluttered. It will be interesting to see what you can get in the future for a little more money. I'm guessing there will be a few more new bass introductions in time and probably some cool stuff for the higher tier markets that don't have pick guard mounted electronics.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2019, 06:11:24 PM »
I like it.

Yup, me too. Otherwise too plain-Jane.    ;D
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2019, 11:32:47 PM »
Yup, me too. Otherwise too plain-Jane.    ;D

Pickguards are fine with me.  I wouldn't even mind if they brought back handrests.  Of course on many basses that would be awkward.  Not on all, though. 

http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/parts/bridge/GibsonHandrest.php

« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 03:36:45 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2019, 07:16:17 AM »
I'm going to run right out and see what they'll give me for a trade in.

Just kidding.  Imagine what the reaction would be if Gisbon did similar to a '59 Les Paul. That's mine.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2019, 08:52:53 AM »
Whether or not you like the pickguard is just personal preference, but without it, you wouldn't have the bass at the announced price. Simplified routing takes less CNC time, modular pickguard mounted electronics are probably entirely machine assembled, etc.

Consider that the $799 DC Junior guitar is $300 less than the least expensive US-made Fender. It's being sold to dealers at about half that amount. Gibson has to pay American labor and operational costs. Every dollar counts. I think it's a pretty remarkable achievement. You can get a gloss finished Junior with all the traditional appointments but it costs quite a bit more.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2019, 09:45:00 AM »
I get your point, Dave, and I understand that some things are necessary, to bring a price down. Only pity it doesn't make that pickguard a winner, in my eyes.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2019, 10:05:11 AM »
I agree that they could have done a better job with the outline. I think the pickguard on the guitar version looks better. Better tension in the curved lines.
But it's nitpicking. Still think they have a potential winner with the LP Jr DC Bass.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2019, 10:11:04 AM »
Whether or not you like the pickguard is just personal preference, but without it, you wouldn't have the bass at the announced price. Simplified routing takes less CNC time, modular pickguard mounted electronics are probably entirely machine assembled, etc.

Consider that the $799 DC Junior guitar is $300 less than the least expensive US-made Fender. It's being sold to dealers at about half that amount. Gibson has to pay American labor and operational costs. Every dollar counts. I think it's a pretty remarkable achievement. You can get a gloss finished Junior with all the traditional appointments but it costs quite a bit more.

CNC vs hand labor has nothing to do with the poor design of that pickguard.   Looks like they ran out of material at the jack, and that's the least of it.  Yes, it's subjective. As Robert Forster says in 'What They Had': "I'm 75, F@ck the Camry."

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2019, 10:12:18 AM »
I like it. A lot.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2019, 02:10:38 PM »

It don't think the pickguard looks that great but I don't hate it.  IMO, it would probably look a lot better if they extended it along the treble side of the neck and up into the horn.  Subjective though, as noted.  If I got one, I'd probably just swap in an EY 'bucker, possibly try to design a new PG if I felt energetic.  Probably not.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2019, 02:44:34 PM »
I'm going to run right out and see what they'll give me for a trade in.

Just kidding.  Imagine what the reaction would be if Gisbon did similar to a '59 Les Paul. That's mine.

Hey look everyone - Cataldo's got that Tele pup slanted the correct way. 

Sorry inside joke from another thread; carry on.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)