Author Topic: New Vintage EB3 copy  (Read 8396 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: New Vintage EB3 copy
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 01:20:31 AM »
Well, that "flimsy" bridge never prevented 7ender bass guitars from becoming a huge success...  :popcorn:

7ender?  I'm pretty sure obscenities are forbidden here.   ;D
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 05:26:11 AM »
You can replace that bridge easily with Fender replacement bridges like BadAss. Or use one with two saddles for an even simpler look;)

You can give it the Mike Watt look.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 07:05:49 AM »
Well, that "flimsy" bridge never prevented 7ender bass guitars from becoming a huge success...  :popcorn:

In the 50s.  Now even Fender uses better stuff than that.  That's the sort of basic thing you see on bottom of the barrel P copies.  That sort of bridge is the reason Leo Quan designed the Baqdass series.  Like I said, even the one on the Stagg pictured above is miles better.  And if you can't match Stagg part quality, GTFO, says I. 

But I did say above, otherwise looks mostly alright, and bridges can be changed, especially since there's no resale value to worry about and there is plenty of room due to the forward placement of the bridge pup.  If the fretwork is good, I'd consider it.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 07:56:13 AM »
I do prefer the flimsy Fender-bridge over the more solid ones. I think you get a more woody sound and less metallic. Maybe it's just in between my ears.

i sold my SG Bass years ago and I def want to try one at the NAMM show!

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 08:07:32 AM »

If you guys are really interested in this thing, you could always wait for the Eastwood version to come out and see how badly THEY butcher it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 11:08:09 AM »

Perzackly.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 01:33:42 PM »
You can replace that bridge easily with Fender replacement bridges like BadAss. Or use one with two saddles for an even simpler look;)

You can give it the Mike Watt look.

Good point.  Bridges can be replaced and there may be no need to throw out the baby with the bathwater. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 10:51:08 PM »
From that one photo, I don't see how you can tell whether or not that bridge is flimsy. The Wilkinson Fender-style bridge I've seen is better than the bridge on my former 2001 MIM Precision. Of course it's not a Kickass or a Babicz but those are different designs that change the tone. Whether that's good or bad depends on your preferences.

I'd prefer a beefier bridge. Unfortunately Trev Wilkinson forgot to consult me.  ;)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 08:00:12 AM »
For clarity, I also like the slightly heavier new style Fender bridges, and I really like the Hipshots with the quick-change string feature.  I just think the old Fender style bent metal bridge works great, and is a nice piece of minimalist engineering.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 09:01:32 AM »
For clarity, I also like the slightly heavier new style Fender bridges, and I really like the Hipshots with the quick-change string feature.  I just think the old Fender style bent metal bridge works great, and is a nice piece of minimalist engineering.
Agreed!
Minimal is better when it doesn't pull out of the guitar.  8)

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 03:12:55 PM »
Good for Vintage! My first guitar was a Vintage SG copy, bought in Glasgow when I was about 13 or so. This was before Wilkinson came along, and before they revised the outline to make slightly less of a dead on copy. That guitar saw a lot of abuse when I was a teenager.

I quite like this bass. What puts me off it slightly, and it is the same for the Gibson SG basses, are those massive cloverleaf tuners. It makes the Gibsons look like Chinese copies. Get some Grover Titans on there and I would be happy.

A full-size bridge pickup means you could stick any rail-style humbucker in there.

A Fender-style bridge means that you can adjust individual saddle heights. Blasphemy! I would stick a Gotoh 201 or Badass/Omega/Kickass on there and call it a day. I would stick on some Norlin-style ES-355 knobs and call it a day.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2019, 08:50:06 AM »
My local shop got the vintage in today. It looks and sounds good!

They changed it from the NAMM prototype:

- It has a smaller bridge pickup now. More Gibson-ish, but the surround is not that pretty.
- It has the three point bridge now, instead of the Fender-style bridge.

I will take it home for a review next week and compare it to my SG Bass.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2019, 11:53:12 AM »
I still kinda like this one.
The one that I tried wasn't even half bad.

I know! I tried one exactly like this years ago. Should have bought it, it was cheap.

Here's one for sale for £99
https://www.cashconverters.co.uk/shop/product/stagg-sg-cherry-red-bass-guitar/34367
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 12:06:35 PM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2019, 12:23:17 PM »
I know! I tried one exactly like this years ago. Should have bought it, it was cheap.

Here's one for sale for £99
https://www.cashconverters.co.uk/shop/product/stagg-sg-cherry-red-bass-guitar/34367

It would cost more  if it didn't loom like a pair of butt cheeks.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2019, 05:20:24 AM »
It would cost more  if it didn't loom like a pair of butt cheeks.

I like it, it's mirroring the open-book headstock. Like a Gibson Byrdland's fretboard end.

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023